60csx

not understanding this so good... Does the 60Csx takes preferences over roads vs. obvious roads to take..???

I ask it to plot a route and it tells me to take some obscure route way out of the way and then back again...

and yes I have changed the settings,,, fastest,,, shortest,,,etc...

I sthere any way to control this (different map set, ??? editing route road priority choice)

The architecture of the 60csx is the same as the 60cs. It doesn't have the power or the architecture to do "the best" routing, so don't expect it to do the same as Mapsource on the PC.

For example, the Steetpilots are newer than the 60's, and you can do everything with the USB connection (including power). The 60's data cables are out of date, but Garmin wanted to put out a SIRF chip with a few bells and whisltes more than the non x's.

I was flamed for complaining about the total lack of getting true profiles for routes for the 60's.

However, the 60's are the nicest units out there, so I can't complain too much.

The only time I've seen this behavior is when you only have partial maps loaded for the route you want to take. For instance...I loaded maps between terra haute and joplin, IL. I missed themap section that held effingham which is on I70 and even I70 is on the base map. Anyway, nothing I could do would amke my 60csx route me thorugh effingham on I70. It only wanted to route me on roades that were in the map segments loaded.

not understanding this so good... Does the 60Csx takes preferences over roads vs. obvious roads to take..???

I ask it to plot a route and it tells me to take some obscure route way out of the way and then back again...

and yes I have changed the settings,,, fastest,,, shortest,,,etc...

I sthere any way to control this (different map set, ??? editing route road priority choice)

I have noticed that when I bring up the map question with mapedit,,, that the roads that it isually picks on a route over the most logical ones are the roads it brings up under the *.IMG file.... usually larger roads,,, highways,,, etc.....

..maybe some day they will make a unit hat will learn the users preferred choice of roads..???

When I have a wide area of maps loaded that covers most logical possibliities I have never had my 60csx choose anything too stupid. My gpsV used to but I blame that on not haveing all the maps and such an underpowered cpu for the job.

Please explain more what problem you are having. You are talking about routing on the unit itself and not on mapsource..correct?

You say its it choosing back roads and longer routes when you have chosen "fastest" and you have all city select map segments loaded for your area of interest?

I have noticed that when I bring up the map question with mapedit,,, that the roads that it isually picks on a route over the most logical ones are the roads it brings up under the *.IMG file.... usually larger roads,,, highways,,, etc.....

..maybe some day they will make a unit hat will learn the users preferred choice of roads..???

I will be driving south on a road, I'd ask the unit for a route to a destination that is let's say 5 km due south on this road and then 2 km. east...

It'll give me a route that diverts me off this road west and then south down another road. and then 3 o r4 km east..

I have tried the same scenario with different settings on the routing preference...

thx....

It definitely sounds like it's routing from the basemap. Do you have City Select or City Navigator maps loaded for the area you're trying to route in?

I agree. Also be sure that the box for including routing information was checked when you downloaded the maps from either City Select or Navigator into the receiver.

It definitely sounds like it's routing from the basemap. Do you have City Select or City Navigator maps loaded for the area you're trying to route in?

no just metro guide....

I recently upgraded to a Map76CSx. I first tried to use Metroguide that I already owned. Metroguide routing was all over the place with totaly random routes that made no sense. In Tucson, it seemed to route to the middle of town first, no matter where I started from. Sometimes this was 8 miles out of the way. I decided it was not capatable with my new GPSr. I installed and started running City Navigator 7 and all the strange routing problems disappeared. I have been really happy with City Nav 7 and it has worked flawlessly for the last couple months.

Edited by bgarland

no just metro guide....

Metroguide does not route, so your unit must be routing on the basemaps, which isn't any good. Metroguide will only route if you have version 4.01, or if you have version 5 or higher & load the maps with the Sendmap program.

Here' ya go...I went and got it for you.

MetroGuide offers automatic route capability on the PC, and is compatible with Garmin units that do not have automatic route calculation themselves. Best of all, this product is fully unlocked! See the product compatibility table (right) for a list of products that Garmin recommends with this software.

Metroguide is for units that dont autoroute. I assumed you had city select or city navigator since you would never answer what mapping software you had. Metroguide doesnt' route so it looks like what everyone was saying was right and your unit is routing to the basemap which is what you can expect.

If you go buy city navigator then you will find that your unit works they way you want it to.

no just metro guide....

Okay,,, nexct question,,

On my machine I have world base map, metro guide for canada....

when I try to create a route with Mapsource it just creates a A to B as the crow flies route....

I know someone with world base map, metro guide, and city navigator on his computer... When he tried to plot a route (with metroguide selected) it actually plots the actual route for him....

Now is there something screwy with my install ,, or is it the underlying workings of City navigator working the auto routing even though metroguide mapping is selected in mapsource ???

This depends, you should be able to make a route in mapsource on the metroguide map and it should work. When you transfer this route to your gps it will just be a straight line because metroguide does not autoroute on a gps (past version 4). In order to autoroute on the gps itself you need city navigator or city select. If you just want autorouting on the PC metroguide should work.

On my machine I have world base map, metro guide for canada....

when I try to create a route with Mapsource it just creates a A to B as the crow flies route....

The details of exactly which version and map product are important in knowing what routing capabilities they have. There has only been one version of WorldMap and it doesn't support any auto-routing.

But "MetroGuide for Canada" can mean a couple different things.

There's MetroGuide-NorthAmerica which has had versions 5, 6, and 7. These cover both the US and Canada (but despite the name, *not* Mexico) and all support auto-routing on your PC but are not designed to do so directly on the GPS unit.

There's also MetroGuide-Canada which is currently version 4 and which *does* support auto-routing both on the PC and on suitable GPS models (earlier versions did not).

Also, when you create a route in Mapsource, it is straight-line at first. If you then click on Navigate or Calculate (sorry, not at home so can't recall the precise name of the button) it will then generate the turn-by-turn route.

GeoBC

The architecture of the 60csx is the same as the 60cs. It doesn't have the power or the architecture to do "the best" routing, so don't expect it to do the same as Mapsource on the PC.

Have you actually noticed a difference btwn PC vs GPS routing? When exporting maps to the GPS, the PC spends a lot of time generating pre-digested routing information. I haven't noticed that the GPS produces a weaker route than the PC but then again, I haven't done a lot of comparisons btwn the two, either.

GeoBC

I am unable to auto point-point route on my p.c. ,,, it always create the straight line route... I see no recalculate or navigate button..

In the route window there is a recalculate route option when you right mouse click,,, but it still does not create a point to point route,, still straight line....

perhaps I should just go buy city navigator ???

I am unable to auto point-point route on my p.c. ,,, it always create the straight line route... I see no recalculate or navigate button..

In the route window there is a recalculate route option when you right mouse click,,, but it still does not create a point to point route,, still straight line....

perhaps I should just go buy city navigator ???

Interesting. I've never tried creating a route using Metroguide Canada since I have CitySelect NA, anyway. I'll try to remember to create a route using Metroguide instead, when I get home tonight.

BTW, I'd recommend CitySelect NA even if you have Metroguide. CS is more up to date. Metroguide Canada is missing locations, besides having out of date street info. For instance, my buddy couldn't find a large regional park (Vancouver/Surrey area) using Metroguide.

GeoBC

the routing on your install will probably work ,,, since you have sity select installed on your computer. Me I just have Metro Guide.... and there is no point to point routing...

As I wrote above, you may or may not have auto-routing depending on exactly what you mean by "MetroGuide for Canada". Could you indicate exactly which product you have (MetroGuide-NorthAmerica or MetroGuide-Canada) and which version? Then we could better determine if the problem is with the product you have or something with how it's configured.

I'd recommend CitySelect NA even if you have Metroguide. CS is more up to date. Metroguide Canada is missing locations, besides having out of date street info. For instance, my buddy couldn't find a large regional park (Vancouver/Surrey area) using Metroguide.

Interesting since I'd usually seen reviews that were more favorable about the DMTI-based MG-Ca, v4 than abou the NavTeq-based CS/CN-NA, v7. CS/CN does seem to favor urban areas more than MG-Ca does, so that may account for some of the different perceptions. GPSCentral has a comparison chart of the different Garmin map products covering Canada at:

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/mapso...differences.htm

I have metro guide canada v4...

That should definitely provide auto-routing (although sometimes of slightly lower quality than the CitySelect/Navigator routing).

Check your routing preference settings. Look under the Edit menu for Preferences and then select the Routing tab. Under Route Style there should be the option to select either auto-routing or direct routes. Make sure the auto-routing option is selected.

nope... upgraded to 6.10.2 and still no routing tab under edit/preferences.... adn still routing with a straight line.....

When you select Preferences under the Edit menu, do you get another window opening that's labeled "Preferences" in the red bar on top? It should have various tabs that can be selected: Time, Find, Routing, Units, Display, etc. Select the Routing one and then check whether Auto-routing is enabled.

nope,,, mines blue,,,

tabs are display, units, position, file location, waypoint, waypoint categories, time and find...

no routing preferences anywhere..

Odd, it does seem to think that no routing product is present. When you click on the Help Menu and select "About MapSource" and then "Product Info," what shows up in the "Map Product Info" box?

Canada metroguide , enhanced basemap, roads and rec, all version 2

There's the key: version 2. That was the earlier version which has no routing support for either the PC or the GPS unit.

So yes, to get auto-routing you will need to get one of the more current mapping products. If you're strictly interested in Canada then look over the chart from GPSCentral that I linked before. If you want both Canada and the US then either CitySelect-NA or CityNavigator-NA will work about equally well for a 60CSx. Probably easier to find CityNavigator-NA.

So yes, to get auto-routing you will need to get one of the more current mapping products. If you're strictly interested in Canada then look over the chart from GPSCentral that I linked before. If you want both Canada and the US then either CitySelect-NA or CityNavigator-NA will work about equally well for a 60CSx. Probably easier to find CityNavigator-NA.

Even if you're only interested in Canada, I'd recommend CitySelect NA or CityNavigator NA. The data, in my experience, is very accurate, at least for southwestern BC.

GeoBC