1962 Cache Found On Brooklyn Bridge

Here is another one to put down under "pre-caching" caches:

"NEW YORK (CNN) -- New York workers have discovered a trove of Cold War-era supplies within the masonry of the Brooklyn Bridge, a cache meant to aid in survival efforts in the event of nuclear attack."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/21/coldwar.trove/index.html

I saw the news item, but they didn't say who got FTF or what was traded! ;)

How did this cache get approved? I would think the Brooklyn Bridge would definitely fall into one of the following categories:

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

• Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)
  • Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.
  • Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.
  • Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.
  • Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.
  • Caches near or on military installations.
  • Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

I wonder if those crackers will wind up on e**y?

How did this cache get approved? I would think the Brooklyn Bridge would definitely fall into one of the following categories:

I think this one definately qualifies as being grandfathered.

I did a quick search of the area of where it was found (roughly N40 42.479 W73 59.946). It looks like that space was being held by this cache anyway - none within the '0.1 mile' minimum distance!

I wonder if the muggles will re-establish the cache?

How did this cache get approved? I would think the Brooklyn Bridge would definitely fall into one of the following categories:Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

I think this one definately qualifies as being grandfathered.

I concur. I doubt that terrorists as we know them today even existed back in 1962. The Red Menace was what we feared the most. Since I was only two, I feared the monsters under my bed and going to bed without blankey the most. :D Some things haven't changed. :D

Since mtn-man has bee reviewing caches since 1891, we'll just have to wait for him to comment on all of this.

I can just see the logs, took 27 cases of stale crackers, left broken mctoy. :blink:

No food in caches.

And what would posses someone to try eating a 44 year old cracker anyway?

A couple years ago I ate a cookie that came out of a World War II K-ration box. It was really good! (probably wasn't a good idea but what the heck)

:tired:

My Dad had a couple of boxes of old C-rations in his attick. One day he pulled them out and said, "what the heck, let's try 'em." They were actually quite tasty. Some sort of spaghetti-O's like thing and some vienna sausage like things... Heck, I've eaten worse.

How many of us can honestly say, "I've eaten something older than I am! And I liked it!" :tired:

This is not really that rare of a find. I find myself in basement/tunnel areas of many buildings in the metro Detroit area. We find the same stashes all the time. They really do have morphine and other drugs in them too! Yes, the H20 barrels are supposed to be used as a commode and the have special "attachments" to help the conversion.

And what would posses someone to try eating a 44 year old cracker anyway?

Yes.....I have tasted the crackers! :):) Not very good, but they were meant to last for 50 years, so, what the heck! :)

Plus, I was triple dog dared!

Edited by Two Geeks and a GPS