Etrex Question

livingston2

For geocaching the Etrex yellow is a fine unit. It doesn't have all the features of the Etrex Legend or the Vista, but it will get you as close to the cache as any of the more expensive units. I just bought one as a back-up for my Legend (50 bucks on clearance at ALDI) and it seemed to hold satellite reception better than the Legend.

Yes, it will work. I used one for the first few months then uipgraded once I knew I was going to be doing more of this fun stuff! It would be very helpful for you if you bought the cable so that you can download the caches directly to your Etrex rather then doing it by hand. It will make everything much more enjoyable for you! You can get them on ebay.

I started with the little yellow. Works just fine. The only problem is that it does not zoom in closer than 200 feet. Change the view to show the current numbers and walk the rest of the way to where your numbers match the listed numbers and you should be within 20 feet or less. Takes more time but it will work just fine.

You can use the gps to get you to the general area, the rest is up to you.

Edited by bogleman

I just purchased the etrex original version, is this unit powerful enough to go geocaching?

I tried finding a couple of sites and had no luck, even with the clue!

thanks for any input

livingston22002@yahoo.com

Short answer: Yes, it is powerful enough to go Geocaching.

Some caches are hidden in places you don't expect, so no matter how good of a GPS unit you have, you won't find them right away. I'd stick with the ol' Yellow eTrex for a while before thinking about an upgrade.

The yellow etrex is a fine unit. in fact i think the one i had locked onto the sats faster than both my vista and legend and both have waas off.

i would also recomend getting a cable to looad waypoints into the unit though, because manual input is a real pain in the rump on the yellow, and not much better using the joystick on the others.

I like my Yellow. Great way to get into it with out tying up a lot of money, especially used on EBAY or elsewhere. After, if you want more, its a super backup unit without a lot of money tied up or a great lender for a friend until you get them addicted also..... My wife uses it often also when she goes trailrding with the horses and just goes cross country. Mark the barn and your all set to come back. Very easy to learn.

If your only hunting a couple caches aday, its pretty easy to type in the coordinates.

SwampYankee

I have the yellow eTrex unit and it has served me well. After finding my first seven without a unit, I borrowed one from my daughter's boyfriend. One month later, my husband gave me the little yellow. I've logged over 130 finds with it. I find that once I get about 20 feet from the cache, I need to get out my magnetic compass and use the bearing indicated on the GPS unit to home in on the cache. This works better than using the unit alone.

I bought a yellow one for a backup to my Legend..it does a good job..and if you accidently fall coming down the mountain and smash it..it isn't as costly to replace..and it makes a good GPS to let the grandkids use when you take them out geocaching after you decide to upgrade..getting a chord is a good idea for uploading the coordinates off of the net when your are going to do a bunch..and you can download tracks to Mapsource if you have it and see where you went or even let it drive mapsource on your PC while you are driving to see where you're at.. :D

I am up to 645+ caches with old yeller. It does the job just fine for geocaching.

Of course, if you want maps and stuff on your GPS you will want a better unit. But that really just helps with getting to the cache site...when you get close to GZ, the yellow is just as good as any of the other ones I've seen.

I am using a bowwored yellow Extra and plan on buying one for myself...

I ran it trough some test one day while geochaching on checking accuracy..

I found a few benchmarks and laid the yellow beast on the benchmark and then when I got home looked up the coordinates for the benchmark...

On most benchmarks west coordinates were right on...north was .001 off

I and Team_Talisman have never been more than 3 foot from a chache no matter what the weather or the underbrush

One thing is we dont put in the coordinates we just turn it on and set it for longitude and latatude reading and go from there.....Only have had 2 DNFs one muggled and other under too much snow...

Dave from Team_Talisman

is this unit powerful enough to go geocaching?

No! The GeoGods must be appeased by your purchasing the most elaborate, expensive GPSr on the market. :D

Seriously though, my daughter, Mogwai913, has the yellow Etrex and finds stuff. I just replaced my Magellan SporTrak Color, (which I killed), with a Garmin MAP60CSx, which I love. I think there may be reception acquisition issues with the Etrex vs the 60 series, since we can be sitting side by side in our house. I'll be reading 9 satellites, while she's lost signal.

I think there may be reception acquisition issues with the Etrex vs the 60 series, since we can be sitting side by side in our house. I'll be reading 9 satellites, while she's lost signal.

This has something to do with the types of antenna in each. The eTrex has a patch antenna which is strongest picking up sats directly overhead. The 60 has a quad antenna which is best at picking up sats closer to the horizon. So, sitting in the house, the eTrex's signal is likely blocked by the ceiling/roof, while the 60 is getting signals through the windows. Since you don't use the units indoors, its not really a valid test.

I am up to 645+ caches with old yeller. It does the job just fine for geocaching.

Of course, if you want maps and stuff on your GPS you will want a better unit. But that really just helps with getting to the cache site...when you get close to GZ, the yellow is just as good as any of the other ones I've seen.

I'm cheap and my wife likes me that way, :unsure: she doesn't like those expensive boy toys, :lol: yellow rules..... but the one thing it lacks is the mapping feature (duly noted by the Propers). I have more then once found myself on the wrong side of the river, cliff.....etc, :unsure: that has me trudging back to the vehicle, :sad::lol: thinking bring a chain saw next time, cut down a tree, and float across....or ...upgrade......or enjoy the hike!!!! :D Happy Trails >>> STRIDER

I still have a yellow etrex in the car incase my 60CS goes on the fritz.

With regard to the question about your unit's adequacy, they say size doesn't matter. As long as you and your partner are happy, I wouldn't bother with any surgical procedures... :unsure:

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

With regard to the question about your unit's adequacy, they say size doesn't matter. As long as you and your partner are happy, I wouldn't bother with any surgical procedures... :unsure:

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

FINALLY! I've been watching this thread out of the corner of my eye for this! Phew, I'm not the only one... :unsure:

The eTrex has a patch antenna which is strongest picking up sats directly overhead. The 60 has a quad antenna which is best at picking up sats closer to the horizon. So, sitting in the house, the eTrex's signal is likely blocked by the ceiling/roof, while the 60 is getting signals through the windows.

I've heard that, but I'm wondering if it's a true assessment. I'm sitting inside my computer room surrounded by 2 block walls, 2 drywall/2x4 frame walls and a roof. Looking at my satellite screen, the strongest signals are coming from 28, 24 & 17. (No, I don't know if these numbers actually mean anything. I'm kinda dense when it comes to technology) At my location, (central Florida), these three show up in the center ring, which I always thought meant they were overhead.