Rubber Gloves

Fact:

Hazelhurst Woods cache by Moote

Cache contents include some balloons.

Ummmm.....

:rolleyes::unsure:

Ian

Fact

Hypoallergenic Latex free and In a sealed bag, anyone with a latex allergy would be safe to touch them, just as I was when they were packed!

Joke:

Heaven forbid anyone should come across a cache with both Latex gloves and a London geocoin in, i reckon the ensuing thread on here would run to at least 100 pages and send viewing figures up by at least 1000% requiring Groundspeak to invest in a dedicated server just for the UK section.

FACT.....................

you see i was gonna take the micky till i read this

Natural latex from the rubber tree Hevea brasiliensis is an allergen in persons with significant cumulative latex exposure, such as those in the health care and rubber industries, as well as those undergoing repeated surgeries, especially if they undergo surgeries early in life. Symptoms of latex allergy may progress rapidly and unpredictably to anaphylaxis. The prevalence of latex allergy has increased as the use of rubber gloves in health care settings has increased. Airborne latex particles that adhere to the cornstarch used to powder gloves are a significant cause of respiratory symptoms and a source of sensitization. Once an individual has become sensitized, he or she may experience allergic symptoms when exposed to any product containing latex.

:rolleyes: you aint seen me right :unsure:

Heaven forbid anyone should come across a cache with both Latex gloves and a London geocoin in, i reckon the ensuing thread on here would run to at least 100 pages and send viewing figures up by at least 1000% requiring Groundspeak to invest in a dedicated server just for the UK section.

LOL!

The trouble with an opened pack of latex gloves is you don't know where they've been.. I'm sorry, perhaps I've got an overactive imagination but I can see them being used in STD clinics, gynae clinics, addiction centres etc! Then being picked from the bins as "useful" items. I wouldn't want to wear them any more than I would wear a opened condom I found in a cache.

It's almost as unsavoury as the image of clammy old red phoneboxes , littered with syringe needles and smelling of stale urine, as celebrated by the London geocoin. :rolleyes:

Edited by qichina

I think these are non-latex balloons...

Edit by Lactodorum to keep things "Family Friendly"

...errr...

Edit by SP - If you're 18 or over (or 16 or over, I suppose) Google for Avanti and Durex (that well known brand of sticky tape in Australia) to see what I was suggesting as a nice safe latex-free sig item :rolleyes:

Edited by Simply Paul

Hypoallergenic Latex free and In a sealed bag, anyone with a latex allergy would be safe to touch them, just as I was when they were packed!

And to think I once vowed never to feed the trolls. Ah well..... :rolleyes:

Hypoallergenic. It sounds like a medical term, it looks like a medical term - but does it actually mean anything medically or otherwise?

The word is used prominently used in sales pitches for everything from hand cream to jewelry to watch straps.

Consumers we quizzed thought the word meant the product wouldn’t irritate their allergies.

Marketplace wanted to find out where the word came from and exactly what hypoallergenic does and doesn't mean.

Our investigation took us to the offices of dermatologist Dr. Kevin Smith.

"It's not a word I've ever seen in the medical literature...except if someone is writing a critique on the subject, making fun of the concept," Smith told Marketplace.

Our quest to get to the origins of the word took us to the University of Toronto medical library. Two of the most used medical dictionaries there show no entry for hypoallergenic. The word does, however, appear in the Oxford English Dictionary. The venerable publication describes hypoallergenic as "a diminished potential for causing an allergic reaction."

U of T librarian Carla Hagstrom told us the word is in the OED for one simple reason: it's in common usage.

The word was invented by advertizers who used it in a cosmetics campaign in 1953.

Advertising consultant Marty Myers sees no harm in that. "I don't think it's a great harm. It's amusing, but it's not going to put anyone in a box. At least I hope not."

But the doctors we spoke to said because the word has no medical basis, there's no standard for what it is and no way to measure whatever it's supposed to do.

Health Canada has not set any standards that a "hypoallergenic" product is supposed to meet. The US Food and Drug Administration says, "There are no federal standards or definitions that govern the use of the term hypoallergenic. The term hypoallergenic means whatever a particular company wants it to mean."

The cosmetics industry told us it has been trying for years to establish exactly what hypoallergenic means. But that would force companies to ensure that they meet such a standard. One company we talked to said that would lead to higher prices for cosmetics.

According to Dr. Smith, using the word "...distracts the public from more important issues like the effectiveness of the product, the price and other things that have true meaning."

Well!

I have searched and searched.

Can I find a manufacturer or supplier of Hypoallergenic Latex free Balloons.

Cannot find any.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Tony

http://mrballoon.com/

:huh:

They're NON allergenic not Hypoallergenic :rolleyes:

Hypoallergenic can mean a number of things. (and yes i did have to look it up) :unsure:

link here

and here

Mongoose ask for a link to latex free balloons and thats what I gave. :huh:

Edited by stora

LOL!

The trouble with an opened pack of latex gloves is you don't know where they've been.. I'm sorry, perhaps I've got an overactive imagination but I can see them being used in STD clinics, gynae clinics, addiction centres etc! Then being picked from the bins as "useful" items. I wouldn't want to wear them any more than I would wear a opened condom I found in a cache.

It's almost as unsavoury as the image of clammy old red phoneboxes , littered with syringe needles and smelling of stale urine, as celebrated by the London geocoin. :unsure:

just to put your mind at rest, these kind of disposed of items are required by law to be disposed of in marked clinical waste bags which are then put into locked containers and collected by authorised collectors and incinerated. No chance of any used ones making it into circulation... and that applies to addiction centres as much as it does to hospital labs...

Oh, and they come packed in tissue-sized boxes in lots of 100 gloves - might struggle to fit that into a cache! lol :rolleyes:

I hadn't long placed my first cache when Bones came along and lef this gloves in it and i felt kind of honured! It tickles us when were out caching and we open a box, without even looking at the log we have a "Bones has been here!" moment....

And before i'm jumped on yes i have dealt with people with allergies and unfortunatley had to do ressus on them as my profile shows.

Long live Bones and his gloves, keeps up smiling where ever we go.

Taz

TFB

We sell Latex gloves.... we have done for over 15 years.

We probably sell around 25,000 gloves each month, and unless somebody somewhere is keeping quiet, we've not had a single death as a result from using our gloves!!!!

Sandiway Searchers... risking people's lives again eh!! :P

see one my posts above - it might explain any silences... :P

Joke:

Brilliant! I laughed my ---- off! :P

Joke:

Brilliant! I laughed my ---- off! :P

Me too Ali... Cheered up my rainy Monday night!!!

Well!

I have searched and searched.

Can I find a manufacturer or supplier of Hypoallergenic Latex free Balloons.

Cannot find any.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Tony

http://mrballoon.com/

:P

They're NON allergenic not Hypoallergenic :(

Hypoallergenic can mean a number of things. (and yes i did have to look it up) :P

link here

and here

Mongoose ask for a link to latex free balloons and thats what I gave. :D

hypoallergenic doesnt mean you cant be allergic to it. im allergic to a few hypoallergenic skin products so theoretically these balloons could still cause reactions! (not trying to inflame an argument ive been following with bemusement as i cant believe its still going on, just pointing it out)

FWIW like some of the other people on here i have had to deal with anaphylactic pts before working in the ED and think the whole topic has been blown a bit out of proportion.

as has been pointed out type 1 allergies are extremely rare, most latex allergies are in the form of skin complaints. for those with an allergy that severe an epi pen, though not a cure is there for a reason, it stops the reaction and gives time to seek appropriate medical help and if an allergy is that severe would be near to hand at all times anyway. i hope the list below shows why geocaching is probably the least of your worries if you are THAT allergic..

Products Containing Latex

A wide variety of products contain latex: medical supplies, personal protective equipment, and numerous household objects. Most people who encounter latex products only through their general use in society have no health problems from the use of these products. Workers who repeatedly use latex products are the focus of this Alert. The following are examples of products that may contain latex:

Emergency Equipment

Blood pressure cuffs

Stethoscopes

Disposable gloves

Oral and nasal airways

Endotracheal tubes

Tourniquets

Intravenous tubing

Syringes

Electrode pads

Personal Protective Equipment

Gloves

Surgical masks

Goggles

Respirators

Rubber aprons

Office Supplies

Rubber bands

Erasers

Hospital Supplies

Anesthesia masks

Catheters

Wound drains

Injection ports

Rubber tops of multidose vials

Dental dams

Household Objects

Automobile tires

Motorcycle and bicycle handgrips

Carpeting

Swimming goggles

Racquet handles

Shoe soles

Expandable fabric (waistbands)

Dishwashing gloves

Hot water bottles

Condoms

Diaphragms

Balloons

Pacifiers

Baby bottle nipples

so putting your shoes on to get to the cache may be the thing that gets you first...ok so maybe i was premature in saying i wasnt going to inflame the argument. i hope that i didnt i just think its a bit needlessly vociferous. whoever said chill out its just a game or words to that effect probably made the most pertinent point! though i PMSL at SP being bitten by a virtual- was it the ghost?

Edited by freespirit1402

Many things that fit in a cache are a choking hazard :(

To say nothing of getting tetanus from a rusty ammo box :(:o

Best we all give up this crazy, devil-may-care sport and take up something safe. Like hang-gliding...

FACT

Or maybe just ignore Moote

I can't beleive an argument/discussion/debate has gone on for 2 pages of this thread almost 100 postings, :(

and two cachers are asking for help with girl guides and explorer scouts information to do with geocaching and they have not received a single reply!!!!!!! :o

ok, i have not replied but i dont know the answer.........but almost 100 postings on rubber gloves is a bit sad :(

M :)