The Anderton Boat Lift Cache Event

Now this is an interesting location. In my 1 year negotiation with British Waterways this is the one site they wanted a cache to be placed. I was passed on to the Marketing Manager of the Boat lift but as there is already a cache on Cheshire County Council land close by I decided not to proceed. However, a couple of weeks ago another local cacher (Band AandAandA) contacted me and I passed on the details to him, so he may well be in the process of placing a cache by the boat lift.

Sadly I don't move that fast. I haven't followed up yet as I've been trying to make progress on a couple of other sites. If anyone else wants to pick up this one, let me know and I'll pass on the details that Pieman kindly supplied. If not, I will try to get one in place in time for the event. Which I hope to be able to attend, by the way.

Ok folks I've got to admit to a slight mistake on the cache page :( . I actually put "Payment will be collected on the day before the journey". This has now been corrected to "Payment will be collected on the day of the journey". Apologize for any confusion caused!

Also just to confirm we have not forgotten about the Veggie option, unfortunately the listed no for the Stanley is not correct, so we've not been able to confirm the availability of a veggie option, but the O/H is sure they said there would be one available on the day. Hopeful we will pop down at the weekend and confirm it.

Dave

Information (for Moote :P ) The Stanley Arms does have a vegetarian choice, I'm unable to find out in advance of the day but cheese & Onion pie with Cheese source or Veggie Stroganoff were mentioned.

After a tongue in check query off someone :) I can confirm that those over 60yrs of age qualify for the concessionary rate.

If I've got my figures right there are only 12 seats left on the boat, so if anyone is interested and has not yet booked their seats, please do so quickly :) so as not to be disappointed

Dave :)

Information :) Due to the fact that the No's attending the event have now well and truly passed what the Stanley arms can handle, I'm currently in the process of arranging another local establishment which unfortunately is not with close walking distance. As soon as things have been confirmed I'll amend the cache page to show the location and new menu.

There is now only 10 places left for the boat trip, so if your interested please indicate the No's required before they all go.

Dave

Ok folks I'm totally amazed to announce that the boat trip is now fully booked up :( . If any one else wishes to attend there is still room at the pub. :laughing: As we have a full boat just to add to the enjoyment we will be running the usual raffle at the pub, and a sweepstake on the boat its self both to raise a few coppers for a selected charity.

Ok folks I'm totally amazed to announce that the boat trip is now fully booked up :( . If any one else wishes to attend there is still room at the pub. :laughing: As we have a full boat just to add to the enjoyment we will be running the usual raffle at the pub, and a sweepstake on the boat its self both to raise a few coppers for a selected charity.

So who's actually on the boat?

Ok folks I'm totally amazed to announce that the boat trip is now fully booked up :laughing: . If any one else wishes to attend there is still room at the pub. :( As we have a full boat just to add to the enjoyment we will be running the usual raffle at the pub, and a sweepstake on the boat its self both to raise a few coppers for a selected charity.

So who's actually on the boat?

With 56 seats filled there's no way I'm going to try and list them all :unsure: . But I can say that it's a mixture of new, experienced and useless (me :( ) cachers.

Dave :blink:

Am I confirmed for the boat as I didn't actually make it clear in my enthusiasm? :laughing:

Yes mate you are :unsure: as for your enthusiasm, the more experianced cachers are just the same but won't admit it :(

Dave running for cover before they all catch me :blink:

Thanks. :D

Ever since I saw this boat lift on a program a couple of years back I think, I've always thought I must go and see that. :(

As several who booked seats have had to pull out much to their regret. There are now 5 seats available on a first come basis. Any one wishing to book a seat on the boat please indicate so on the cache page. And before it gets mentioned :rolleyes: I haven't forgotten about the new menu, and will have amended the cache page by this evening.

Dave

Ok folks I have to admit that I'm a ejit :D , I forgot to change the coordinates from the Stanley to the Owl on the cache page. I've now corrected this :).

On a more serious note the Owl have requested that everyone pre book their meals due to the large No's. I've posted the menu on the cache page, and would be grateful if everyone would let me know their orders ASAP, so that I can pass them all on to the Owl.

Dave :D

One tip for those attending who've not meet him ;) is to avoid the cacher with a totally bald head and glasses ;).

Dave :(

Dave

You better give a better description of the individual here, so that they don't mistake me for this person.

Milton

JOKE

It might be best all round if you just avoid blokes that are bald and wearing glasses!!

One tip for those attending who've not meet him :( is to avoid the cacher with a totally bald head and glasses ;).

Dave ;)

Dave

You better give a better description of the individual here, so that they don't mistake me for this person.

Milton

JOKE

It might be best all round if you just avoid blokes that are bald and wearing glasses!!

Oh, and it will be the first meet I've been to as well. :P I'll just sit in the corner and sulk.

One tip for those attending who've not meet him :D is to avoid the cacher with a totally bald head and glasses :lol:.

Dave

Milton

Hmmm let me see :D about 5ft 11in overweight and a lot prettier than Milton is :D

geoffenator there's room on the boat if you would like to join us :huh:. It'll take you all of 5 seconds to feel part of the group ;)

One tip for those attending who've not meet him :D is to avoid the cacher with a totally bald head and glasses :lol:.

Dave

Milton

Hmmm let me see :D about 5ft 11in overweight and a lot prettier than Milton is :D

geoffenator there's room on the boat if you would like to join us :huh:. It'll take you all of 5 seconds to feel part of the group ;)

See, you've just described me again. :D I've never met Milton so I don't know if I can out-pretty him. :D

I'm already booked in. It will be like looking in a mirror.

Dave

Milton

See, you've just described me again. :D I've never met Milton so I don't know if I can out-pretty him. :D

I'm already booked in. It will be like looking in a mirror.

Guess I could not come and save everyone the hassle :D

To try and avoid TB's being logged into the event and then go missing, everyone on arrival will be asked to log all non personal TB's into the Event's TB Movement Log book, and those taking them away to log them back out. This is to avoid me having to mark bugs as missing with the need to apologise to the TB owners as has happened in the past.

Dave

I should have asked this sooner, how does the cache event itself work, I'm aware its a TB swap event, just want to know what to expect when I turn up. -_-

You turn up, meet other cachers (all of them lovely people), chat, drink, have fun, swap TBs if you want, do a bit of caching with your new friends and just generally HAVE A GOOD TIME.

Oh and take lots of embarassing piccies of all and sundry for your web log :P

I should have asked this sooner, how does the cache event itself work, I'm aware its a TB swap event, just want to know what to expect when I turn up. -_-

Hi Wizzie

In my experience - here's what to expect...

Loads of TB's chucked onto ta table - help yourself. Lots of strange people drinking Real Ale, and drivers like myself laughing at them the more they have to drink.#

Lots of chit chat and cache stories swapped... Mattwaggie, Lizardman and Bob (Jan and the Perceyboys) getting their coin collections out for everyone to ooh and ahh at, and basically lots of laughing!

Throw in a spot of lunch and you're getting there... oh, and there seems to be the obligatory have a dig at Milton and a dig at Hazel too!!

I attended my first couple of meets a couple of months ago.(Breakfast Bash - Before the Beer and Geocachers Big Love-in ). Didnt know what to expect. I was made most welcome by many of the regular crew.

The mass hunt for new caches was most fun!!!!!

Im trying to arrange things to make this meet but wont know until the friday before.

Got things on but we're hoping to drop in for an hour or so for some of the drinking/chatting bit :( but not the meal :P How will the timing work? Is it supposed to be pre-ordered mass eating spot on 12:30 then run on or are people going to meet up at 12:30 then amble into meals later - 'cos that would affect our timing...

If any local puzzle cache setters are to be ceremoniously chucked in the canal BTW when would that be? - as we'd base our trip around that time :P:ph34r:

Thanks

Got things on but we're hoping to drop in for an hour or so for some of the drinking/chatting bit :D but not the meal :huh: How will the timing work? Is it supposed to be pre-ordered mass eating spot on 12:30 then run on or are people going to meet up at 12:30 then amble into meals later - 'cos that would affect our timing...

If any local puzzle cache setters are to be ceremoniously chucked in the canal BTW when would that be? - as we'd base our trip around that time :D:o

Thanks

There's not a set time for arrival at the Owl, we just advised them that we'd be arriving about 12:30 onwards. As it's not a set meal, I'm guessing that those dinning will drift in after that time. And there will probably be a large group still there well after 3:30, if that,s any help for you.

No plans to dunk anyone :unsure: especially as the Owl is not near to the Water :unsure: , but you can expect to see some expert quaffing being done :D .

Dave :blink:

"but do hope to pop along in the afternoon."

But don't leave it too late as we will be holding our usual raffle :) to raise a few penny's for an organization that needs them. The usual stuff as prizes, a few caches, bottles of drink and possibly a Easter egg or 2 :D . Everyone's chances of winning have doubled as Brownie are not attending :cry:

Dave :(

If any local puzzle cache setters are to be ceremoniously chucked in the canal BTW when would that be? - as we'd base our trip around that time :):D

Thanks

Unfortunately, I will be indisposed that day. But don't worry, Mike, I'd like to meet you VERY much. I'm sure we will meet one day or night. :cry:

Thanks Dave. We should be able to make it for the afternoon. I'll add our names to the cache page.

"but do hope to pop along in the afternoon."

But don't leave it too late as we will be holding our usual raffle :D to raise a few penny's for an organization that needs them. The usual stuff as prizes, a few caches, bottles of drink and possibly a Easter egg or 2 :cry: . Everyone's chances of winning have doubled as Brownie are not attending :(

Dave :)

Regarding the logging in and out of TB's to the Event. TB names only will be used no No's please. This is to protect the TB's from Tracking Number abuse, but also to protect me from being chased by angry TB owners because I have all the tracking No's without actually handling them :laughing: . This measure has been put in place solely to try and avoid TB's being logged into the event, and then disappearing as had happened at other events. Personal coins and TB's need not be logged in, just those being dropped of for onward travel with another cacher.

Dave

To avoid confusion re TB's:

Log the TB's into the event on the cache page as normal, but on arrival also log them into the TB log book, on departure you log out the TB's your taking. I'm doing this as it gives me a chance to see if any TB's have been logged in and not out so that I can have a good look around before leaving. On several previous events we've had TB's which have been logged into the event go missing into fresh air. And had no idea whether they actual made it to the event, got taken away by someone who lost it, or got lost at the venue. On each occasion I've been totally gutted for the TB owner and felt personally responsible for its loss.

I hope this clears up all confusion :laughing:

Dave