I Have Discovered Who The First Ever Geocacher Was!

Tonylama

Despite what you have been told about the history of geo caching, I have discovered that the person who was the first ever to hide a cache was BOO RADLEY

boo-radley1.jpg

According to a cacher by the name of "Scout", he (BOO) placed two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain and a knife in the cache [he apparently did this before knives were taboo].

The FTF went to a cacher who apparently signed the log book as "JEM".

Who says you can't learn anything by watching TCM?

There was a foot of snow here on the East Coast this weekend - shut us out from caching :anicute:

so I was forced to watch old movies.

Its all right there - in BLACK AND WHITE!

Tonylama

Don't know if he's a cacher or not, but U are a disgrace to the community if you let just a measely FOOT of snow keep you home. The caches are still there! GO GIT 'EM!

:cool:

The call of the cache was overshadowed today by the sound of my kids asking me to "push them on the sled" [We almost never get this kind of snow in MD]

The results were the same however, I come home after dark, I'm wet, and tired! (and happy).

I will not let such minor accumulation of snow stop me again - :anicute:

Way back when, (just after dirt was invented), I had a cat named Boo Radley. We had a macrame (sp?) plant hanger by our front door, and he would play with it until someone rang the door bell. then he would tear a** down the hall, jump over the couch, and slam into the sliding glass door.....every time. That cat didn't have both oars in the water. ;)

Ok, I'll bite, who was Boo Radley and why would he have been considered the first geocacher?

I'm sure the answer is obvious to everyone but me, so I'll just claim stupidity and be done with it...

Boo Radley is a character in To Kill a Mockingbird who the two main characters, Jem and his sister Scout are afraid of. They find items (the two soap dolls, etc) that Boo puts in a tree knot.

I read this book last year for school!

Sorry, but you are all wrong. the first geocacher Pharo King Narmer. He started caching back in 3100 BC. Of course he only placed one and it was a large cache and a Puzzle cache at that! The FTFinder is not known as the log book was lost, but apparently the FTF prize was a Doozy! But as with all caches it deteriorated over time and is now archived. The co-ordniates were lost when CG.com was doing a file save and the disk was placed near the office stereo and was partially damaged by the speaker magnets. Now the original location of the "King Narmer cache" are lost to geocaching History.

Sorry, but you are all wrong. the first geocacher Pharo King Narmer. He started caching back in 3100 BC. Of course he only placed one and it was a large cache and a Puzzle cache at that! The FTFinder is not known as the log book was lost, but apparently the FTF prize was a Doozy! But as with all caches it deteriorated over time and is now archived. The co-ordniates were lost when CG.com was doing a file save and the disk was placed near the office stereo and was partially damaged by the speaker magnets. Now the original location of the "King Narmer cache" are lost to geocaching History.

;) Thanks for the history lesson. You always learn something new.

Sorry, but you are all wrong. the first geocacher Pharo King Narmer. He started caching back in 3100 BC. Of course he only placed one and it was a large cache and a Puzzle cache at that! The FTFinder is not known as the log book was lost, but apparently the FTF prize was a Doozy! But as with all caches it deteriorated over time and is now archived.

While you may be technically correct Davispak, the "Narmer" cache of 3100 BCE was not ever officially approved, since finding it did require special equipment, including pointy objects. ;)

Sorry, but you are all wrong. the first geocacher Pharo King Narmer. He started caching back in 3100 BC. Of course he only placed one and it was a large cache and a Puzzle cache at that! The FTFinder is not known as the log book was lost, but apparently the FTF prize was a Doozy! But as with all caches it deteriorated over time and is now archived.

While you may be technically correct Davispak, the "Narmer" cache of 3100 BCE was not ever officially approved, since finding it did require special equipment, including pointy objects. ;)

Everyone must have forgotten it was "grandfathered" in. Even if it didn't conform to the Guidelines, it was there before they went into effect. :D

Don't know if he's a cacher or not, but U are a disgrace to the community if you let just a measely FOOT of snow keep you home. The caches are still there! GO GIT 'EM!

:ph34r:

The call of the cache was overshadowed today by the sound of my kids asking me to "push them on the sled" [We almost never get this kind of snow in MD]

The results were the same however, I come home after dark, I'm wet, and tired! (and happy).

I will not let such minor accumulation of snow stop me again - :mellow:

Yes! God made the world to enjoy in all kinds of weather- and kids to enjoy it with.

have fun diggin out, even in places where snow is not uncommon, everyone forgets that it is slick and how to drive in it every season.

I like caching in the snow- peace, quiet, solitude... xcellent caching weather (and the sledding is a LOT better in the snow. :ph34r:

Ok, I'll bite, who was Boo Radley and why would he have been considered the first geocacher?

I'm sure the answer is obvious to everyone but me, so I'll just claim stupidity and be done with it...

Boo Radley is a character in To Kill a Mockingbird who the two main characters, Jem and his sister Scout are afraid of. They find items (the two soap dolls, etc) that Boo puts in a tree knot.

Ah! That was one of the classics I was never forced to read, which explains my ignorance. Thanks for the enlightenment. :mellow:

Hi, guys!

Just so's you know...

Neither Mr. Radley or that Pharoh guy were the first geocachers! Us squirrels were caching long before there were any two-legged cachers around! We'd hide treasures in the woods, sometimes in hollow trees, but we're allowed to bury our caches, and we can even have food in our caches onaccountabecause that's a squirrel's most favoritest thing to find in a cache! And then we'd have lots of fun all winter hunting the caches that we hid! :mellow:

Ah! That was one of the classics I was never forced to read, which explains my ignorance. Thanks for the enlightenment. ;)

Force yourself. One of my favorite books of all time and movies as well.