Booted!

greyhounder

Everyone once in a while, but pretty much everytime I come to the forums, I will get booted. Shuts down my browser (Safari). I'm not sure why this is happening, or what to do to make it stop. I did empty my cache -- maybe that will help.....

has anyone experienced this lately?

Bec

(I did a search, but didn't come up with any other topics on this.)

Everyone once in a while, but pretty much everytime I come to the forums, I will get booted. Shuts down my browser (Safari). I'm not sure why this is happening, or what to do to make it stop. I did empty my cache -- maybe that will help.....

Bec

Nope, but then we're using Firefox on the Mac rather than Safari.

Bec

It doesn't seem like anyone else is having this problem. So you're going to have to troubleshoot it yourself. Here are some questions to ask yourself.

Has this ever happened anywhere besides forums.Groundspeak.com? Even once. Can you track this down to a specific page or group of pages? Have you tried a different browser for a few days? Do you have dial up? Is there any thing else going on with your computer even if you have ruled it out because you can't think that it can be related? Have you deleted you cookies and temporary internet files recently? Have you recently made any changes to your computer, any changes at all no matter how small?

It doesn't seem like anyone else is having this problem. So you're going to have to troubleshoot it yourself. Here are some questions to ask yourself.

Has this ever happened anywhere besides forums.Groundspeak.com? Even once. Can you track this down to a specific page or group of pages? Have you tried a different browser for a few days? Do you have dial up? Is there any thing else going on with your computer even if you have ruled it out because you can't think that it can be related? Have you deleted you cookies and temporary internet files recently? Have you recently made any changes to your computer, any changes at all no matter how small?

My answers:

no

just the forums here

no, but I will do that

no -- cable modem

um, I don't believe so. But I'm not that computer literate

my computer deletes cookies every30 days, I believe

nope, no changes

I suppose this is further proof that I need to upgrade to Tiger.

Thanks for the help!

Bec

Bec

Actually Panther is doin' just fine here. Do consider "upgrading" to Firefox though - Firefox is extensible and a number of nice GreaseMonkey scripts are available to make the forums and geocaching.com website easier to use.

Jon

A Mac user for almost 20 years and now on my 3rd Mac. Our first was a Mac Plus (the one with the developer team signatures engraved inside), but now it's a table lamp (with a keyboard and mouse), so it's still in use, kinda.

Edited by ikim & noj

I typically use Firefox for Mac and Safari for Mac as well. Safari is closing down on me as well (and I've used the "Reset Safari" option) since the change. Now just using Firefox and Netscape (I like to have the main forums open and the coin forums open at the same time :D)

Bec

Actually Panther is doin' just fine here. Do consider "upgrading" to Firefox though - Firefox is extensible and a number of nice GreaseMonkey scripts are available to make the forums and geocaching.com website easier to use.

Jon

A Mac user for almost 20 years and now on my 3rd Mac. Our first was a Mac Plus (the one with the developer team signatures engraved inside), but now it's a table lamp (with a keyboard and mouse), so it's still in use, kinda.

I had previously used Firefox. There was some reason why I stopped, but darned if I can remember why!

Bec

I've had this happen in IE, not on Geocaching.com, but on another website. It happens only on this particular website, only with me, and on multiple machines (home, work, friends, etc...)

The people I work with are all computer guys and they can't figure it out. I'm stumped.

However, when I use either Opera or Firefox... no problems.

My answers:

no

just the forums here

no, but I will do that

no -- cable modem

um, I don't believe so. But I'm not that computer literate

my computer deletes cookies every30 days, I believe

nope, no changes

Thanks for the help!

Bec

What I would do but YMMV. Logout of the forums (click on Log Out near your name at the top of this page), Logout of geocaching.com (go to geocaching.com and click on log out near your name at the top of that page). Yes, log out twice. Then delete all geocaching.com and Groundspeak.com cookies (or to be thorough delete all cookies, but you will have to log back on all your web sites so have passwords handy). Then delete all the files in your internet temporary files directory. Close out ALL open browser windows no matter what web pages you have pulled up. Give everything a few seconds to close out and then go and open up your browser again. Now log back on geocaching.com first. Then click on over the forums from geocaching.com. Do not use a bookmark! Click on forums from geocaching.com. Finally log back in to the forums.

If that doesn't help things I'd check for the latest version of the software you have installed and upgrade. Not just the browser but everything that has anything to do with web browsing (i.e. plug-ins like Java, Acrobat Reader, Flash, etc.).

And now that I'm thinking about it....this should be something the TPTB at Groundspeak should be attending to. One should not have to switch to a different browser to access the forums. Especially if these people are premium members.

I've tried a million different things, and am still getting booted each time.

Bec

Yes, I have experienced the same problem, and continue to from time to time. and i mean from various safari versions. i believe it has to do with opening to many pages or something. because after a while when im reading forums it will just freeze and not load pages, they fail to load. it seems the forums block ip's for a while maybe? so i will use netshade to route through a proxy and it will work fine.

Yes, I have experienced the same problem, and continue to from time to time. and i mean from various safari versions. i believe it has to do with opening to many pages or something. because after a while when im reading forums it will just freeze and not load pages, they fail to load. it seems the forums block ip's for a while maybe? so i will use netshade to route through a proxy and it will work fine.

I'll revive this thread and add that my Safari is crashing between 5 and 10 times every day, it seems when the forums are setting up RSS (?)

SOME times, when I click on a link from a GC email about a thread I've subscribed to, when Mail.app calls to Safari to load the page, Safari will crash...can't replicate it with any reliability, nor do I know what I'm doing at the time that would cause this....

hasn't happened for a coule days though...and only when loading from Mail, hasn't happpened if I just type in the URL.....