What Would You Do

codeman3

What would u do if u ever came up on some one destroying a cache, just rippin' through the cache?

i often thought about it but i came up on some one looking through an soup container.i could tell he wasnt caching but he wasnt really destroying i almost grabbed him but saw he was just curiousabout the container. so i just wanted to hear all responses u guys(and girls) have about this topic.

thanQ

Just to be serious for a moment, the answer is to do nothing. At least not right away. We don't need negative attention, i.e. someone beating the crap out of someone messing with a cache. We get enough attention for cemetary hides and the like.

Just go back later and fix the cache back up. Don't do anything stupid.

I have walked up on someone in that particular situation.

"What exactly are you doing?"

"I found this box"

"I know, I left it here as an experiment, after covering everything in rat poison I wanted to see how long it would take before some animal ripped it open, ate the contents and died, I'm wierd like that"

"....."

Funny the look of terror on someones face when they realize what you just said wasn't followed by a "Hey I'm just kidding with ya."

But I bet you they don't open stuff they find in the woods anymore..

That may be a little extreme and you have to pull it off with a reaaaaaly serious/strange demeanor, then buy the guy a beer for the stool he just left go in his pants.

What would I do if I came across someone destroying a cache?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

What would I LIKE to do, but would never have the courage to do it?

Pull all of his/her teeth out with a rusty pair of pliers, use the teeth to make a necklace and put the necklace into the next cache I find.

:) That'd be fun to watch :(

Funny the look of terror on someones face when they realize what you just said wasn't followed by a "Hey I'm just kidding with ya."

That may be a little extreme and you have to pull it off with a reaaaaaly serious/strange demeanor, then buy the guy a beer for the stool he just left go in his pants.

Somehow, I can see you pulling that off very well. :)

I think explaining the sport and being as helpful to the muggle as possible is the best thing to do.

If they were destroying it, I would get tough and threaten to charge them with vandalism (as I dial on my cell phone). It's obvious it's not trash and it belongs to someone.

Edited by Voigt54601

Push them in a bush of Poison Oak grab the container and Run Forest Run that is if they are destroying it!

We have come across a couple people in the past we explained to them what it was and they seemed interested and wanted to know how good it was for Boyscouts we mentioned to them alot of the local Boyscout troops do geocaching in our area and now they are getting their troop involved in it.

Edited by Mystery Ink

What would u do if u ever came up on some one destroying a cache, just rippin' through the cache

thanQ

Honestly, what could you do? Confront them and hope you are not assualted, or walk away and return later to pick up the pieces and log about it?

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly

Of all the responses I have seen, there is one action that I am surprised no one has mentioned:

Report the incident to the hider so they can check it later and replace the cache if it has been muggled.

While confronting the person and explaining geocaching may be a good idea (depending on the situation), the cache will need to be checked on later. They might just put it back with you standing there but come back later and finish the job.