Pda Palm-vs-pocket

Thump-N-Seek

I just raised my old Palm III from the dead and put Cachemate on it. It works great and runs on two AAA batteries, no worries.

For paperless caching, I'd say cheaper==better, assuming it works at the level you want. I don't need color screens and lots of whiz-bang when I'm standing in the woods trying to read the description. ;)

As someone before said, an old monochrome Palm works great- just make sure it'll run Palm OS 3 and you can put Cachemate on it. My Palm III is at least 8 years old and sat in a drawer for the last 5, and works great.

I have to admit after setting up my Axim x51v PPC with GPS and caching software. It's cool and works but if geocaching is something you'll be doing alot then go for a dedicated GPS unit and avoid a PPC or PDA.

My reasons are durability. Weather is a concern, moisture is the biggest concern, no real protection. Hard to read in bright sunlight. Screen scratching. Drop survival is limited with a PPC or a PDA.

This is just my opinion. I will continue to use my PPC for geocaching but always with the knowledge I could kill this thing easily. Just my 2 cents.

Most likely, a Palm will be the cheapest way to go if you are only looking for something to cache with. I use a Palm TX and it is literally my brain at work. It makes me very nervous toting it around in the woods :D Palms can be found in many places for under $40. If you are just looking for a geocaching tool, it is the best option in my opinion. If you will be using it for other things, either will work.

I started out with a Palm, mostly because I was familiar with the OS and I could get one inexpensively on eBay. When it died I decided to try a Pocket PC. Having now tried all of the PDA software available for geocaching that I am aware of, my advice is to get a PPC if money is not a major concern.

I perfer the Pocket PC's with GPXSonar and GSAK. I use a Dell Axim X3. Nice unit but I would hate to drop it in the mud. Thus the reason many use older Palms - can be bought for around $30 on ebay. Most used PPC still cost around $60 and new ones go as high as $700. Whatever you get - add another $25 for a water resistant/shock resistant case.

I am trying to decide which PDA to use for Geocaching. Most of what I have found is written regarding the Palm versions. Can the Pocket PC be used also? Are they harder to use? Should I get a cheap version for geocaching, and then a seperate one for other applications? Thank you for any input you can give.

Yes you can use a pocket pc for paperless caching, You just may not be able to use certain software on it. (ie: spinner/plucker or cachemate for palms, gpxsonar on PPC) Its easy to get ahold of cheap palms like a IIIex or 500. Since your likely to be carting it around with you it may be dropped, shaken, exposed to moisture, etc. and other things that aren't good... many people go with the cheaper older models instead of paying out for more expensive ones. But if you have one already, it will work.

I too I'm interested to see what people say.

I have a Palm M105 with cachemate. I also use it for work.

I have been thinking of buying a Palm Tungsten E2 for a while. The thing that is holding me back is the problem many of the units have with the screen whine.

So I have started to look into pocket PC's. The HP iPAQ rx1955 to be exact. I have not looked into any of the programs to use with caching. What are the one's you have found to be the best?

If you have used a pocket PC and Palm, which do you like the best?

I really love my Palm but never have played around with a pocket PC.

Pocket PCs (in general) are a bit more expensive than Palms but they work great for caching. SWMBO and I use Ipaq 2415s, running GPXSonar on them. Combined with GSAK on the PC, makes a great pair. I also have a serial cable for my PPC, and I can upload/download the waypoints from a GPX file onto my GPSr (Magellan SporTrak Map.)

I like to use USAPhotoMaps to create a map image of an area, with caches shown, and upload that onto the Ipaq for just one more way to visualize what's in an area.

I use an iPAQ rx3715 for geocaching. I have a Teletype Bluetooth GPS as well as a Garmin Legend. What I did this last trip is let my son use the Legend while I use my iPAQ. We weren't in any device-hazardous areas so I didn't mind carying it around. Will eventually get an Otterbox case for it though.

I use GPX Sonar as well, but it was locking up on me. I have GPS Tuner but it's not really good for paperless. This time out I tried out Beeline GPS which does a great job of navigation (huge digital compass) and can also do the paperless. I found the iPAQ and Legend were pretty much in sync as we zeroed in on the treasures.

I've tried other navigation packages but it looks like I'll be purchasing Beeline GPS soon! Very nice package.

I also use GSAK on the PC to manage the waypoints and send to the Legend. Beeline GPS loads the GPX files directly.

I do have USAPhotoMaps but didn't think to download that to the PPC (duh!). Thanks for that tip!

-al

Picked up a palm M515 for less than $50 with shipping on ebay- GSAK (free) and Cachemate ($8) and off you go. It works great and really makes things easier. I thought about more expensive / new models and have to say that if this one gets trashed in the field I'm not going to feel too bad! Already have all my waypoints and routes loaded in for the GW4 trip from Florida to Texas.........

Picked up a palm M515 for less than $50 with shipping on ebay- GSAK (free) and Cachemate ($8) and off you go.

Acually, Gsak is shareware, and worth every penny of registration if you like it and use it. Development on improvements is always happening, and registering the program will keep that happening.

Ed

Palm, Cachemate, and Gsak work for me for paperless caching

Thank you for the information. I haven't even started looking at paperless caching units, since I wasn't sure what to look for. Looks like people like both ways of doing it. I figure for now, I'll probably get one just for geocaching.

As for Why you trying to use "SIZE=14"? That's huge. Like this! You forgot the "/size" command. I have not posted on here, and am learning it as I go. Sorry if it was too big for you.

Sorry if I have hijacked your thread Thump-N-Seek.

Team Cotati,

The screen whine is a problem with some of the Palm units. The digitizer separates a little from the screen. This causes it to resonate and a high pitch whining sound is emitted from the unit then.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/palmhandh...?threadid=64429

The Palm I was considering has this problem, the Tungsten E2. My friend has one and in a silent room you can hear it over 4 feet away from the unit.

I never played with a pocket pc and was at Circuit City for 45 minutes yesterday playing with one and the Palm. I was starting to favor the pocket pc anyway but when I decided to place the Palm to my ear and heard the famous screen whine my choice was made. I ordered my pocket pc from buydig.com today.

Now I need to find a good program for caching on it. I really liked cachmate for my palm. I have downloaded GPX Sonar a while. I hope it is as nice as cachemate.

I started out with a Palm, mostly because I was familiar with the OS and I could get one inexpensively on eBay. When it died I decided to try a Pocket PC. Having now tried all of the PDA software available for geocaching that I am aware of, my advice is to get a PPC if money is not a major concern.

I'm in agreement with this position. I used a Palm for over a year until it became inadequate for the job as well as for the hobby. I went to a PPC and the difference was night and day. The PPC acts like an extra storage disk on the PC. Drag and drop becomes the name of the game and you don't have to worry about using apps like Plucker to do the conversion for you to be able to use on a Palm.

I like my handy palm IIIc it's color but you only see color on cachemate if you bookmark a cache, I love the paperless caching, can't seem to see how I would do without... I have 6 areas in my GPS all with around 150 caches, and equal in my palm... as I drive and see a cache pop during work hours, I can go to my palm and see if it's a short one to grab at lunch... and I have it hold 5 past logs of each cache, so it sure is handy... I bought it many years ago and just recently started using it to cache.. another great thing for the PDA.