Dropped Gps

Viking VForce

Sorry to hear about your "loss"; hope you can get a new one.

I learned my lesson about dropped GPS' myself, except I got luck that the GPS was still functional; I scratched the lens and broke off some of the buttons. I quickly ordered a GPS cover! Garmin makes a good cover for the Etrex line ( I got one for my Vista), but for my 60CS, I use a gilsson.

Edited by Chuy
:rolleyes: Ok, this writing to the forums isn't so scary. Thanks, this is very helpful. It is a Garmin, under warranty. I wasn't actually the one who dropped it, my daughter kind of tossed it as she almost fell of a bridge and my poor niece missed catching it- she feels so horrible. Hey all, USE the neck strap... Thanks again.
:rolleyes: Ok, this writing to the forums isn't so scary. Thanks, this is very helpful. It is a Garmin, under warranty. I wasn't actually the one who dropped it, my daughter kind of tossed it as she almost fell of a bridge and my poor niece missed catching it- she feels so horrible. Hey all, USE the neck strap... Thanks again.

After dropping my Legend off the tank of my motorcycle at 60 mph, I ALWAYS use the lanyard now!!

Ed

I always have my eTrex Vista C attached to my wrist by the lanyard . . .

. . . however, when we climbed up Lawson Peak to find Lawson 4, I put it in my fanny pack because I needed my hands free for all the rock scrambling.

On our way back down, I went out on a huge boulder to take a picture. When I got the camera out of my fanny pack, the camera strap caught the GPSr and flipped it out of the pack. :rolleyes:

It fell down along the line in this picture:

22df0305-e389-4d08-8208-7dd4b2233418.jpg

When we found it at the bottom, the neoprene case had come off, but the GPSr was still working. It had even "recorded" a speed of 212 mph during the "flight." :(

There is now a snap on the lanyard so I can attach it to my pack if I ever take it off my wrist again.

Sorry about your GPSr . . . Garmin is known for their excellent service.

I used to use the neck strap, but hated the gps bouncing off my chest/stomach with every step. Don't really like things around my neck, either. Did buy the GC.com lanyard with the quick-release snap, use that on occasion (abandoned bridge caches....) What I have found to work very nicely is a cheap cell phone holder made by BucketBoss. You can buy them at menards for $2-3, and it's sized just right to hold an etrex snug, but not so bad that it's hard to get out. Velcro flap closure over the top, and a STRONG belt clip--won't fall off, heck, it's hard to TAKE off. And so far, it appears that the GPS has no trouble with signal through the case. Works very nicely.

The screen is not broken but something under the screen doesn't show up in a band about 1/2 inch wide from top to bottom.  Calculators sometimes do that, too...

Sounds like a loose ribbon cable connection. Since it's under warranty, call Garmin. They'll fix it for you for free.

Garmin may in fact fix such a unit but they for sure are not obligated to do so. Hat's off to Garmin for providing repairs under such circumstances. If I ran Garmin or any other company for that matter, I for sure wouldn't be fixing free of charge my product that had been damaged or broken by the purchaser...warranty or not. Good luck to ya. :huh:

"All Garmin products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Garmin International, Inc. will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components which fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for any transportation cost. This warranty does not cover failures due to abuse, misuse, accident or unauthorized alterations or repairs.

THE WARRANTIES AND REMEDIES CONTAINED HEREIN ARE EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING ANY LIABILITY ARISING UNDER ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, WHICH MAY VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

IN NO EVENT SHALL GARMIN BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER RESULTING FROM THE USE, MISUSE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT OR FROM DEFECTS IN THE PRODUCT. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Garmin retains the exclusive right to repair or replace the product or offer a full refund of the purchase price at its sole discretion. SUCH REMEDY SHALL BE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY."

Edited by Team Cotati
:o Yes, here is another "Garmin is the best" story! I emailed the whole sad story to them and they replied right away to mail in our broken GPS. I also emailed that I would feel guilty having it repaired under warranty and to let me know the cost. They ignored that and mailed me back my repaired GPS right away- nothing due. It is good having it back- I felt lost w/out it (hahahah) and it is great to know there is a company out there that still has a human (humane?) side...

:lol: Yes, here is another "Garmin is the best" story! I emailed the whole sad story to them and they replied right away to mail in our broken GPS. I also emailed that I would feel guilty having it repaired under warranty and to let me know the cost. They ignored that and mailed me back my repaired GPS right away- nothing due. It is good having it back- I felt lost w/out it (hahahah) and it is great to know there is a company out there that still has a human (humane?) side...

Garmin is great with Customer Support and quick to answer questions/emails. I know of alot of companies that could take lessons on Customer Satisfaction from Garmin. Way-to-go you Garmin guys/gals!!!!!