Memory Map Or Fugawi

maporter

Memory Map is far superior to Fugawi, but if you do not have a Windows based PC and PPC it will not work, Fugawi I believe do a version for Mac but having played with a trial copy on a PC I was not impressed.

I really think that Memory Map has the market stitched up at this point in time, and with them selling 1:25000 sections of any part of the country that beats all the competition.

Moote

Having used both, I have to say that Memory Map is the better product as it works faster and smoother, even on an older PC and has a better list of features. That said, Fugawi is not a bad product and served me well for a year or two before I upgraded to MM. As said previously MM will not work on a Palm whereas Fugawi will.

If you would like Fugawi, I'm sure I could do you a good deal on my old one, email me through my profile if interested.

Does anyone out there have a link to a web site so I can see MM?

samples from the Memory Map website ... we'd been toying with the idea of upgrading a PPC to make it a caching machine so thought about ditching Fugawi in favour of MM and had been looking at the website!

So far I can't see much difference between the two - they both look pretty similar, perhaps someone can go into detail?

Fugawi's OK though, it can get a little glitchy when running on the Palm and does have it's little annoyances but for the price you pay in comparrison to MM you can't complain!

We're great fans of MM having been Landranger users for all our lives and recently bought the last segment to complete the whole of the UK. We used MM on a PDA and could put several different UK segments on to a memory card and load them in to MM at will. Unfortunately, the latest edition of MM (V5) divides the UK into larger segments resulting in very large file sizes for the maps. This may be excellent for a large PC but a PDA will not handle the large file size so you have to divide the map into portions before going out. This is fine if you're happy just to take a portion of the area you're visiting but if, for example, you're driving the length of the UK using a GPS connected to the PDA you might experience problems.

We recently bought a new PDA - IPAQ 2790 - which has more memory and a faster processor than our old one but it will only access one MM map automatically. If we wish to load more we have to soft reset and even then can't be sure it will load as MM "remembers" the map you had loaded before doing the reset and then automatically reloads it on start-up...... then there is a problem loading the map of your choice!

Answer - use an old PDA and V4 of MM and you're laughing, especially with the now available 4gb memory cards which would accept just about all the UK V4 maps.

I have used both Memory Map and Fugawi on the PC. As others have said Memory map is faster and smoother than Fugawi, with better features. I have fallen victim to the 'buffer overrun' error with fugawi, which stops it syncing with the Palm. The Palm application is hopeless compared to Pathaway 4, which I now use by taking screenshots of Memory Map and spending 5 minutes calibrating.

It may take longer to load maps on to the Palm, but Pathaway 4 is outstanding in the field.

Memory Map is excellent and does everything we need. I also use a Palm but not having the maps is not a problem. If we are caching somewhere I simply print off an A4 sheet of the relevant map area. I do have Adobe Acrobat on my PC and can print the map page as a pdf document which I can read on the Palm, but to be honest don't usually bother. I think MM scores over the rivals with its 3D options - thats really good when you've done a walk and download the track from your GPS. I did try out MM V5 but didn't like the way it displayed the 3D maps so went back to V4.

Chris

The big difference with the desktop applications is that MM is far better supported as far as importing goes. For example, the GSAK script discussed in another thread exports appropriate icons so caches appear appropriatly in MM. Fugawi has nothing similar and changing icons on screen is a painful process. MM is by far the smoother application to use as the interface is nowhere near as cluttered as Fugawi, and I am yet to spot a "missing" feature.

My only coomplaints with MM are abut things Fugawi doesn't even start to support anyway. For example, I have the GB version and see mto be able to export the visible area, which at maximum zoom out, isn't big enough for my needs, or I can export the whole GB which uses far too much memory. Likewise, I can export the place names for the whole country which only works in main RAM and I don't want it using all my memory, or I can export the placenames for the visible area - but only one area - if I export more than visibble area MM stupidly overwrites the previous place name index with them most recent one!

Fugawi does not allow exporting of whole maps and only allows exporting of relativly small areas, and there is no way of searching for placenames in the PPC and Palm applications at all.

I think that the problem with Fugawi is that is is all 1:50000 mapping which is not very good for accurate use.

As well as Memory Map having 1:50000 it is also available in 1:25000 mapping which you can buy in self defined sections or a complete National Park etc.

If you have an inferior Palm device though Memory Map is out of the question, so you as stuck with Fugawi.

It is wise to remember that a 1 square cm at 1:50000 is equivalent to 4 square cm at 1:25000.

Moote

Edited by Moote

I've used Fugawi for about a year and while it is not perfect I am happy with what I got for my money in comparison with what MM was charging for the same map coverage.

As usual, the depth of your pocket influences your choice. We travel about a lot and needed coverage of the whole country. A full set of MM maps was beyond our means but Fugawi splits the UK into just 4 map sets and the prices are far more reasonable.

The biggest bugbear I have is the fact that no matter how much memory your Palm has spare the size of map you can export in one go is limited due to OS licensing restrictions. The size is fine for walking but when caching you soon drive of the edge. You have to import your maps in separate tiles and copy each one in turn across to your SD card. This can take a very long time.

I've also had the buffer underrun error a few times when changing between maps in the field. This error means you need to go home and hotsync to recover your data, untill then your palm is dead. Quite annoying to say the least when you are on holiday. I'm not sure if this is due to the software or my old Palm M515 which we use to run it.

My Fugawi version 1 Southern England (still open to offers - covers the whole country below a line drawn just south of Northampton) includes the 1:250,000 map of the whole of GB plus one other scale which I can't remember, probably 1:500,000 or similar. To access them you use the buttons on the button bar that move your scale in and out.