San Diego County Cache Critters

Team Gecko

Prior to our assault on "The Adrenaline Cache" with kealia the other day, the Park Ranger put on a snake-wrangling show for our Northern California visitor. <_<

That snake was HUGE! . . . <_< The snakes I saw in the past, that I claimed to be BIG, were just little guys compared to this monster. I am very glad I have never seen a snake that big on the trail.

3974a0b0-03e5-4be7-bd37-bb724c9b2fa6.jpg

1267ebf1-9f58-4c8f-94ed-b3825b204689.jpg

Those are my favorites of the rattlers. I've actually seen several that big in MTRP. As a matter of fact, I think I might have seen that actual one!

Prior to our assault on "The Adrenaline Cache" with kealia the other day, the Park Ranger put on a snake-wrangling show for our Northern California visitor. <_<

That snake was HUGE! . . . <_< The snakes I saw in the past, that I claimed to be BIG, were just little guys compared to this monster. I am very glad I have never seen a snake that big on the trail.

Those are my favorites of the rattlers. I've actually seen several that big in MTRP. As a matter of fact, I think I might have seen that actual one!

The nice thing about the rubies is that they are easy going, sort of the Fat Albert of local rattle snakes. It's them dang westerns that are so ill tempered. On the other hand you are better off being bitten by a western, you know, if you have a choice.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Prior to our assault on "The Adrenaline Cache" with kealia the other day, the Park Ranger put on a snake-wrangling show for our Northern California visitor. :D

The nice thing about the rubies is that they are easy going, sort of the Fat Albert of local rattle snakes. It's them dang westerns that are so ill tempered. On the other hand you are better off being bitten by a western, you know, if you have a choice.

The first time I ever saw a huge rattlesnake it was one of those. We saw one while hunting around for Rocketman's Cool Swag & View Junction cache back in March of '03. I didn't have a camera at the time but that snake is etched in my brain... <_<
Prior to our assault on "The Adrenaline Cache" with kealia the other day, the Park Ranger put on a snake-wrangling show for our Northern California visitor. :o

That snake was HUGE! . . . :blink: The snakes I saw in the past, that I claimed to be BIG, were just little guys compared to this monster. I am very glad I have never seen a snake that big on the trail.

The first time I ever saw a huge rattlesnake it was one of those. We saw one while hunting around for Rocketman's Cool Swag & View Junction cache back in March of '03. I didn't have a camera at the time but that snake is etched in my brain... :laughing:

As I recall, Harmon saw a twelve-footer in MTRP about a year ago...

Prior to our assault on "The Adrenaline Cache" with kealia the other day, the Park Ranger put on a snake-wrangling show for our Northern California visitor. :o

That snake was HUGE! . . . :blink: The snakes I saw in the past, that I claimed to be BIG, were just little guys compared to this monster. I am very glad I have never seen a snake that big on the trail.

The first time I ever saw a huge rattlesnake it was one of those. We saw one while hunting around for Rocketman's Cool Swag & View Junction cache back in March of '03. I didn't have a camera at the time but that snake is etched in my brain... :laughing:

As I recall, Harmon saw a twelve-footer in MTRP about a year ago...

Yessir, an awesome twelve footer up near Fortuna Saddle after scoring Adrenalin. Took a while t' walk on by it.

If you want t' see a photo of it I'll make one up for y'.

For another large Red Diamond, you might check out the bottom photo of Post #84. It was one of the more aggressive specimens I have encountered although it did eventually head the other way after putting on an impressive cobra-like display for a couple of minutes.

Check out post #103 for another example of the "Warning! Step away from the snake!" pose...

Those are great photos Don! We've had quite a few of those around our home coords too, but not recently. We've also had 3 tarantulas visit different neighbors on our street since we've lived here. Those are my favorite spiders! :laughing:

I read recently the average Southern California home is host to 15 Black Widows. Here at Gecko GZ I know of two males, four mature females, and one pre-adult female. I wonder where the other 8 are hiding. :P

-GD

Those are great photos Don! We've had quite a few of those around our home coords too, but not recently. We've also had 3 tarantulas visit different neighbors on our street since we've lived here. Those are my favorite spiders! B)

I read recently the average Southern California home is host to 15 Black Widows. Here at Gecko GZ I know of two males, four mature females, and one pre-adult female. I wonder where the other 8 are hiding. :cry:

-GD

I'm wondering where the 15 are hiding at my house. :cry:
Those are great photos Don! We've had quite a few of those around our home coords too, but not recently. We've also had 3 tarantulas visit different neighbors on our street since we've lived here. Those are my favorite spiders! :P
I read recently the average Southern California home is host to 15 Black Widows. Here at Gecko GZ I know of two males, four mature females, and one pre-adult female. I wonder where the other 8 are hiding. B)

-GD

I'm wondering where the 15 are hiding at my house. B)

I'm not worried about the 15 from my house. I sent them all over to Trailgator's house... :cry::cry:

Those are great photos Don! We've had quite a few of those around our home coords too, but not recently. We've also had 3 tarantulas visit different neighbors on our street since we've lived here. Those are my favorite spiders! B)
I read recently the average Southern California home is host to 15 Black Widows. Here at Gecko GZ I know of two males, four mature females, and one pre-adult female. I wonder where the other 8 are hiding. B)

-GD

I'm wondering where the 15 are hiding at my house. B)

I'm not worried about the 15 from my house. I sent them all over to Trailgator's house... :cry::cry:

I'm wondering where the 15 30 are hiding at my house. :P

I read recently the average Southern California home is host to 15 Black Widows. Here at Gecko GZ I know of two males, four mature females, and one pre-adult female. I wonder where the other 8 are hiding. :cry:

-GD

This is a rather disturbing post. Thanks for sharing. :cry:

Those are great photos Don! We've had quite a few of those around our home coords too, but not recently. We've also had 3 tarantulas visit different neighbors on our street since we've lived here. Those are my favorite spiders! :P

-GD

This is a rather disturbing post. Thanks for sharing. :cry:

B) I only have 14 at my house...sorry Gecko Dad ..it scared me...and it had to go...jodi

-GD

This is a rather disturbing post. Thanks for sharing. B)
B) I only have 14 at my house...sorry Gecko Dad ..it scared me...and it had to go...jodi
:cry:

Sunday, 7/29/2007

Here is another installment from Los Banos, where we spent the night before while en route to drop Gecko Gurl off at Traditional Jazz Camp in the Sierra foothills east of Placerville. The cache is called Them There Tule Elks!. The San Luis National Wildlife Refuge encompasses over 26,000 acres and features a reserve for California's native Tule Elk (Cervus elaphus nannodes), the smallest of the North American and endemic to the San Joaquin Valley. Tule Elk are estimated to have numbered perhaps 500,000 before they began to fall prey to hunters of European descent. They were saved from extinction by a single landowner in the Bakersfield area. Today, they number approximately 2,000 and can be found in a number of Federal and State reserves across California.

-GD

I felt fortunate to spot this solitary bull along the first section of perimeter road

453035d7-d87a-46d2-af20-7860732b8ec6.jpg

View from the observation deck (near the cache)

ef428d51-ab43-43cc-87ff-356567278956.jpg

I walked back along the road for a better perspective - Head of Household and some of his harem

97787a70-ff2d-439d-b3a0-4ad0bd2c888d.jpg

I counted at least 20 individuals in this group, including young bulls and calves

0cf56271-f632-4de8-9737-91c6fa02d367.jpg

The cache is called Moo! So what kind of critters would you expect to see?

bb5bac1f-2c61-4ec5-b4ef-bc301c9d07f3.jpg

Not "cows." Either Bovine or steers.

Here's my question once agan, why do brown cows give more milk that black cows?

Or calves, or bulls, though I see neither for sure. I thought black and white holsteins gave the most milk. Never heard that brown cows give more than black ;)

Or calves, or bulls, though I see neither for sure. I thought black and white holsteins gave the most milk. Never heard that brown cows give more than black ;)

Sure, brown cows give more milk than black cows 'cause,

there's more of 'em.

Or calves, or bulls, though I see neither for sure. I thought black and white holsteins gave the most milk. Never heard that brown cows give more than black :D

Sure, brown cows give more milk than black cows 'cause,

there's more of 'em.

Cowboy wisdom? B)

Or calves, or bulls, though I see neither for sure. I thought black and white holsteins gave the most milk. Never heard that brown cows give more than black B)

B) I don't think these are milk cows..I think they are hamburger cows...Jerseys give the best milk..they are cream colored with pretty big sad eyes. :D

Or calves, or bulls, though I see neither for sure. I thought black and white holsteins gave the most milk. Never heard that brown cows give more than black B)

I think that actually is a picture of 'Carne Asada Farms' :DB)

Splashette B)

:D I don't think these are milk cows..I think they are hamburger cows...Jerseys give the best milk..they are cream colored with pretty big sad eyes. :yikes:

At the Grind cache in Point Loma.

Excellent photos of those banditos!
Those are great photos! :) I was just talking to my kids the other day about how we hardly ever see those out here. They were all over the place in the miswest/east.

I refuse to use the "C" word.

I took a shower with one of them once, but that is another story, for another time. :)

Really enjoying recent contributions to this forum, especially the ring-tailed rascals.

I will gradually catch up on my logs and post some new geo-critter photos from the past few weeks. Here is one of a dainty stepping Mule deer doe that, in the middle of a high season Sunday afternoon, high stepped her way across an open field adjacent to Coloma Jailhouse Revisited at Gold Discovery Site State Park back on Sunday, 7/29/2007.

-GD

db92f489-e1f7-4b60-95b7-2b61ea0899cb.jpg

Well, I ran across a beautiful red diamond today in Black Mountain, but I am so embarrassed by the poor quality of the pictures that I'm just going to post a link here. Log I left my usual camera at home and all I had was the cellphone camera. Why do they even bother putting cameras on cellphones when the quality is so terrible?!? Anyway, Rosy was quite contrary, but she did let me take dozens of pictures of her. Too bad literally none of them are any good...

Tuesday, 7/31/2007

I went for a two-mile sunrise walk from our B&B at Sunnyside, three miles south of Tahoe City on the west side of Lake Tahoe. This was my first chance to explore the shoreline and visit Mile Marker # 69, the closest active Geocache to our lodging. I encountered this large extended family of Common Mergansers (Mergus Merganser) doing head-below-water surface cruising on the lookout for their fishy breakfast. The youngsters were perfectly mimicking the adults so this must be hard-wired into the Merganser brain. In this remarkably clear water, I suspect they can see nearly everything available on the menu.

-GD

Cruising high

4cca92e8-1f49-4f2e-a256-61f1e683af9c.jpg

Cruising low

8d876121-63c6-4b62-bd0e-b6a53fd55361.jpg

Hey, we can do this too!

b07ca092-d9e3-4273-994a-57548406539a.jpg

Making waves

fa522c24-4ef6-4d83-9886-bea21260a18b.jpg

Well, I ran across a beautiful red diamond today in Black Mountain, but I am so embarrassed by the poor quality of the pictures that I'm just going to post a link here. Log I left my usual camera at home and all I had was the cellphone camera. Why do they even bother putting cameras on cellphones when the quality is so terrible?!? Anyway, Rosy was quite contrary, but she did let me take dozens of pictures of her. Too bad literally none of them are any good...

The world was a better place without cell phones.

55e0d1e7-5a3f-46c6-88e7-16d159f05621.jpg6e2f4b89-7c8c-496b-bbb5-82e1a92a50d4.jpg

Well, you know, except for Geocaching lifeline calls. Looks like your cellphone camera has 1-inch pixels.

Edited by SD Rowdies

The world was a better place without cell phones.

55e0d1e7-5a3f-46c6-88e7-16d159f05621.jpg6e2f4b89-7c8c-496b-bbb5-82e1a92a50d4.jpg

Well, you know, except for Geocaching lifeline calls. Looks like your cellphone camera has 1-inch pixels.

Rosy really was beautiful, though. I ain't foolin' ya!

Those are great photos Don! We've had quite a few of those around our home coords too, but not recently. We've also had 3 tarantulas visit different neighbors on our street since we've lived here. Those are my favorite spiders! :)

I read recently the average Southern California home is host to 15 Black Widows. Here at Gecko GZ I know of two males, four mature females, and one pre-adult female. I wonder where the other 8 are hiding. :)

-GD

This is a rather disturbing post. Thanks for sharing. :)

Sorry to go back to an old topic, but was just curious if someone had some tips or any advice on ensuring that we don't have close encounters with a black widows. We don't know much about them we are chicago natives and hadn't really taken notice until tonight when I found 6+ in the backyard. Thought they had small webs and kind of tiny places until I saw one about 2 feet off the ground across a walkway about ~6ft wide. Thanks for your help.

Edited by warmouse4000
Sorry to go back to an old topic, but was just curious if someone had some tips or any advice on ensuring that we don't have close encounters with a black widows. We don't know much about them we are chicago natives and hadn't really taken notice until tonight when I found 6+ in the backyard. Thought they had small webs and kind of tiny places until I saw one about 2 feet off the ground across a walkway about ~6ft wide. Thanks for your help.

Move to England...

Seriously though, I've been living in black widow territory all my life (which means I only have half the experience of Harmon on this matter) but the main thing I do to avoid them is to never put my hands or feet in a place that I have'nt checked out with my eyeballs first. That's good advice for snakes and scorpions too. Apart from that though, I don't worry about them much.

Tuesday, 7/31/2007

Here are two more critter encounters from our Tahoe trip. These Canadian Geese were enjoying the grounds of "Pine Lodge", the historic Ehrman Mansion and grounds that was donated to the state and became Sugar Pine Point State Park. The first waypoint for Thunder & Lightening at Sugar Pine is a short stroll behind the mansion structure.

-GD

Five(?) Canadians

98ab0d9d-00bf-486d-84f9-4168f9101ab7.jpg

On the mansion grounds we paused to watch this Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel (Spermophilus lateralis), one of many we saw on the grounds. One young girl and her brother amazed themselves by catching one (not this one) in their butterfly net. All three were incredibly surprised. There was quite a flurry of action - and a series of shrieks of "oh my God, oh my God" - before the two managed to get it released.

Enjoying the clover

f45e80bf-4766-44b7-b2ea-70dddf8a37e3.jpg

Edited by Team Gecko

Wednesday, 8/1/2007

I came upon this Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) in Hope Valley south of Lake Tahoe, along the barely flowing West Fork Carson River. At a distance, I thought it was a Bald Eagle perched atop this snag within 50 yards of Gone Fish'n. It was more edgy than others I have observed, including a nesting pair near our house. This one quickly relocated to a perch atop another snag in a forested area a few hundred yards to the south. I imagine catching trout from the sky must be a tricky proposition in such shallow water.

-GD

First roost

d1185370-fb38-4b91-a75d-cc933d513d1c.jpg

Second roost (dead tree center in back)

b744d353-55fa-4b87-8848-2eb36764ec0c.jpg

Sierra Osprey

eba00c01-37ba-4df1-8816-722ca208a487.jpg

Handsome profile

860b364c-cb89-4503-891c-b1666475639a.jpg

Outta here!

33af1af6-54b2-4415-9080-fb4d2161e328.jpg

Thursday, 8/2/2007

The White-headed Woodpecker (Picoides albolarvatus) has a relatively limited range of mountain pine-fir forests in the western U.S. According to my Sibley Guide to Birds, it is the only North American bird with a black body and white head. This adult female was actively working the bark of this tree while I was seated nearby writing an entry into the logsheet for All Shapes and Sizes II outside the Truckee River Outlet Gatekeepers Museum. This specimen was skilled at working around the tree on the opposite side from me so it was a little tricky to photograph and capture more than a blur.

-GD

White-headed Woodpecker

115b7d9b-e856-42ee-b5aa-49484558a7cd.jpg

Picoides albolarvatus at work

55ea6aa9-adcb-436b-a60d-a1b51795ae82.jpg