San Diego County Cache Critters

Team Gecko

Thanks Don!

I was just getting dressed and heard a couple of jays making a big ruckus out back. I also heard the unique sound the raptor was making last night. I don't know how to describe it...it is kind of a pewling call, for lack of a better description, since it has a musical quality. Unlike the caw of a crow, or the long call of our resident red-tails.

Anyway, I looked out the window, and the nests in our pepper tree out back were being raided. I ran down stairs and got the camera, but when I got outside, it took off with the jays, and all of the other birds in hot pursuit.

If you can manage to get a look at it flying or even a sideways view, we might have more basis for an identification. I also thought of Harrier (Circus cyaneus) or Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) given the size. We see more Harriers (used to be called Marsh Hawk) than any other raptor in our neighborhood, often perched on light poles. They are stockier than a falcon, though and a little larger. Cooper's Hawks are accipiters, rather than falcons, and have a longish narrow tail and reddish tint to upper breast. They also have a distinctive red eye.

Looking forward to seeing additional photos.

-Don

I initially suspected it was a Coopers Hawk when I saw it flying around last night. I got out the book, and when it landed in the yard, I was able to get close enough to see that it didn't have red eyes, so that is when I started searching. The problem with the field guide is you just get one picture. You need to read the descriptions for color variations, and distinguishing marks to help out.

According to the book, the Prarie Falcon is the only one with black armpits. It flew right over my head, about 10 feet above me, but I hadn't read the book yet, so I can't remember! :laughing:

I got some video, but just of it's back. It was uncooperative, and wouldn't face the camera. I'll upload it tonight to my photobucket account and provide a link. The kids are getting upset about baby birds getting eaten! :blink: It's like a gladiator show here. Some jay type birds are squawking and trying to drive it off, while the top of every tree is covered with little birds watching...the chimneys and roofs have pigeons all watching and waiting to see if they are next! (I wish it would eat all the pigeons!)

Dave

Well, I'm on a raptor roll now! (If only I could get the pictures!) :blink:

I was grabbing a cache at lunch in Vista. Orange Blosson As I was standing at the cache, I heard a rustling of feathers, and looked up in time to see another raptor, very nearly the same as the one at home last night. No chance for a pic or a good look, but as I was closing the cache up, I heard what sounded like a young raptor calling. (I say young because it wasn't that strong of a call, but it was close by.)

There was a steep downward slope behind me, and when I turned, I spotted a large nest in a tree that was a bit downslope. The nest was high in the tree, but barely above my level while at the cache. I could hear what sounded like a baby calling, so I went back to the car, and sat there with my camera in-hand...no joy for me today...all I got was a picture of the nest!

729bc66a-3862-4c85-a773-e80a7f0432a8.jpg

It's the large dark spot in the center.

If you want to hear the call I heard, it is about halfway through the video clip I uploaded to my photobucket account. You can just hear it.

Video of raptor nest.

I highly recommend "The Sibley Guide to Birds" (Knopf, 2000)" as the overall best resource for bird identification. For most species, Sibley includes multiple images showing different color phases, appearance in flight and at rest, as well as juvenile and adult female/male plumage.

For those especially interested in bird behavior, his companion "The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior" (Knopf, 2001) is also an excellent resource.

There are numerous field guides that are more portable, such as the Peterson series, the Golden guides, NatGeo, and some excellent regional guides (Discovering Sierra birds, Birds of Northern California, Birds of the Southwest, etc. I keep a number of different guides handy for comparison as each has its strengths and weaknesses.

For raptors specifically, University of California Press published "Raptors of California" in 2005. It is also available in field guide size. It features images, identification suggestions, and fairly complete natural history for each species.

-GD

Well, I'm on a raptor roll now! (If only I could get the pictures!) :ph34r:

I was grabbing a cache at lunch in Vista. Orange Blosson As I was standing at the cache, I heard a rustling of feathers, and looked up in time to see another raptor, very nearly the same as the one at home last night. No chance for a pic or a good look, but as I was closing the cache up, I heard what sounded like a young raptor calling. (I say young because it wasn't that strong of a call, but it was close by.)

There was a steep downward slope behind me, and when I turned, I spotted a large nest in a tree that was a bit downslope. The nest was high in the tree, but barely above my level while at the cache. I could hear what sounded like a baby calling, so I went back to the car, and sat there with my camera in-hand...no joy for me today...all I got was a picture of the nest!

729bc66a-3862-4c85-a773-e80a7f0432a8.jpg

It's the large dark spot in the center.

That nest suggests Cooper's Hawk. Prairie Falcons and Pergrines are cliff nesters. Harriers are ground nesters. Merlins don't nest in California.

-GD

Edited by Team Gecko

Saturday, 6/23/2007

Had a little extra adrenalin rush after down climbing to find The Adrenalin Cache (revived) yesterday. I retrieved the container and moved it to a less exposed resting spot. I had just opened it and had decided to swap for a small bottle of "Jenny Lyn's Snake Skin Oil" when I looked about 10 feet in front of me and spotted this resting Red Diamond Rattlesnake (Crotalus ruber). It was near the bottom of one of the routes I considered descending before choosing another. Glad I did. Now I'm wondering who - or what - put snake skin oil in this cache! ;)

This is one of the darkest Red Diamonds I have seen and I originally thought it was a Southern Pacific. After replacing the container, I moved around to get a better look and took this photo while staying safely above and well out of striking range.

-GD

Lair of the Red Diamond

8e91b42b-0f93-4e29-86a5-24f29ec60240.jpg

Crotalus ruber

8acd3f41-cb11-419a-b0ce-7a4d285b3595.jpg

Don,

Having done the Adrenaline Cache I can imagine your surprise to find yourself sharing that little grotto with a coiled rattler. Stepping back or jumping back to avoid a strike isn't much of an option way up there on the face of South Fortuna.

At least the Rubys seem to have a better temperament than the Westerns. Imagine how surprised that Ruby was when you popped around that column and into it's lair. Nice job with your camera. Sure has been a snake year I'll say. Lot's of great shots by local Geocachers.

How come you have all the fun? O yeah, you go out and earn it huh?

Your pal,

Harmon

5b1a1ae6-fed7-401e-aee5-d6b1489188ac.jpg

c6a28be8-7814-4d30-a6f8-40833df642f7.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Saturday, 6/23/2007

This little nondescript bird brightened my day when I was running up Pyles Peak on Saturday to complete a long looping run with four hill climbs. It was spotted atop this yucca stalk very near Out With Chuck B! (which I visited the weekend prior) and attracted my attention with its thrush-like singing. I am posting it to see if any serious birders might be able to help me identify it. My closest guess is Sage Thrasher (Oreoscoptes montanus), a migratory visitor to San Diego County.

-GD

Sage Thrasher?

9a54d0f0-dbeb-42b3-840d-075e44f709d8.jpg

Sunday, 6/24/2007

On a short hike from Boulder Creek Road to Game Wardens and Turkey Hunters, I encountered this Phainopepla mimicking a Kite or hawk as it hovered then swooped for flying insects between perches on this dead tree. What a field day for this aerial acrobatic.

-GD

Phainopepla nitens

26022ee6-61fb-4dae-ab15-8f477337145d.jpg

Red-eyed rascal

97cd9141-6516-4b6e-be4e-ed42e747269d.jpg

The setting

2170a1f1-9b91-4f2a-b74b-6b9f34ba31d4.jpg

Great shot!!! I can often hear the bird but hardly ever find them when I'm out in the desert.

Last night on a night hike to get gratefuldad116's new caches in the Hollenbeck Canyon area, beginning with this one, we saw lots of critters and Piglit9 had an encounter with a skunk . . . :lol:

This guy posed for a portrait:

e93d497e-23b7-4cca-a59c-78843fb28d2f.jpg

This guy was about a foot long.

26e33dbf-bdca-41dc-b9f4-58f321551425.jpg

We saw several of these:

09eb265d-4c9e-413a-9df1-85888f143037.jpg

We also saw a deer and then a bobcat. It was a great adventure. :unsure:

Last night on a night hike to get gratefuldad116's new caches in the Hollenbeck Canyon area, beginning with this one, we saw lots of critters and Piglit9 had an encounter with a skunk . . . :)

This guy posed for a portrait:

e93d497e-23b7-4cca-a59c-78843fb28d2f.jpg

This guy was about a foot long.

26e33dbf-bdca-41dc-b9f4-58f321551425.jpg

We saw several of these:

09eb265d-4c9e-413a-9df1-85888f143037.jpg

We also saw a deer and then a bobcat. It was a great adventure. :laughing:

Miragee-

Very nice photos, especially of the tarantula and the Southwestern Blind Snake (Leptotyhphlops humilis humilis). I've encountered the slightly larger Desert Blind Snake (L. h. cahuilae) out in Anza Borrego, always at night. Both species of blind snakes prey on ant and termite larvae. Once while backpacking up above Borrego Palm Canyon's Third Grove for the annual July bighorn census count, a Desert Blind Snake crawled out from under my ground cloth just when I was ready to go to bed. It's eyes were barely detectable black dots about the size of a typed period. That was certainly a memorable first exposure to this unusual snake. I'm told that if they are handled, they give off a foul, musky odor and have been known to jab the tip of their tail into the hand of the person picking them up.

-GD

Saturday, 6/30/2007

I encountered another Red Diamond Rattlesnake this past weekend when I came upon it stretched across the trail as I was returning from a long hike/run to the end of the El Cajon Mountain Open Preserve Trail. The closest cache was an intermediate waypoint for BBB's "Walk In The PARK", an adventure in itself. This guy was under 3 feet and rather docile, as most of the Red Diamonds I've seen in the wild have tended to be. I could easily have gone around it but preferred to watch it awhile and take a few photos. It stayed put for nearly 15 minutes and then eased its way off the trail with barely a whisper of a rattle and that rattle only lasted a couple of seconds. In any case, these are still potentially dangerous animals and should not be approached too closely or too suddenly.

-GD

Guarding the trail

dc9e11c3-33a8-4641-8f2f-1f9d16c349f5.jpg

Head shot

f67ee22f-b28f-470d-a0f5-925c9bfe2ed5.jpg

Flash portrait (note the infrared sensing "pit" at 8 o'clock position from the eye)

b51e3ba4-d5d4-40cb-b819-59e7ad90af25.jpg

Count the rattles

7a3bcc7a-f01a-4a38-9f00-c23fb9243d94.jpg

Not exactly a "Critter" photo but does, at least, have a critter story to go with it. This oak tree is near the final for Dan-Oh's Bump cache. The whole time we were there, we kept hearing "tock, tock, tock...tock, tock, tock..." We kept looking for the woodpecker but couldn't see it. Finally, we realized that the sound was coming from inside the tree. The woodpecker is up inside the hollow arm on the left...

48a7cfc4-127b-408e-826e-7496dc64335c.jpg

Saturday, 6/30/2007

I encountered another Red Diamond Rattlesnake this past weekend when I came upon it stretched across the trail as I was returning from a long hike/run to the end of the El Cajon Mountain Open Preserve Trail. The closest cache was an intermediate waypoint for BBB's "Walk In The PARK", an adventure in itself. This guy was under 3 feet and rather docile, as most of the Red Diamonds I've seen in the wild have tended to be. I could easily have gone around it but preferred to watch it awhile and take a few photos. It stayed put for nearly 15 minutes and then eased its way off the trail with barely a whisper of a rattle and that rattle only lasted a couple of seconds. In any case, these are still potentially dangerous animals and should not be approached too closely or too suddenly.

-GD

Guarding the trail

dc9e11c3-33a8-4641-8f2f-1f9d16c349f5.jpg

Head shot

f67ee22f-b28f-470d-a0f5-925c9bfe2ed5.jpg

Flash portrait (note the infrared sensing "pit" at 8 o'clock position from the eye)

b51e3ba4-d5d4-40cb-b819-59e7ad90af25.jpg

Count the rattles

7a3bcc7a-f01a-4a38-9f00-c23fb9243d94.jpg

Don,

You've done it again as our best wildlife photographer. Those Ruby's are sure laid back, sort of the Fat Albert of local rattle snakes.

Harmon

Thanks for the kind words, Harmon. Pleased to see this forum page is read and enjoyed.

Saturday, 6/30/2007

Here is a "lookout lizard" that reminded me of a Meerkat lookout. This is a Granite Spiny Lizard (Sceloporus orcutti) spotted near Xilonen-Uey Tecuilhuitl out on the southern extension of El Cajon Mountain. They are of the same genus as the Western Fence Lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis) but are darker and more robust, almost portly. Common in San Diego County, their range extends through much of Southern California and northern Baja. Granite Spiny Lizards are rather wary and have a habit of moving around to the opposite side of boulders if they spot you.

Granite Spiny Lizard

ed343db6-a8ca-468b-9f41-bb69c2b17315.jpg

On my way back from finding the new caches along the Anderson Truck Trail today, this hawk, and another one, flew over and around me for several minutes, screeching frequently.

I wish I could have been able to get the camera to focus correctly.

306a29e6-0e4b-4b20-ae8e-5b0e8e4f498d.jpg

I was out caching a couple of weeks back, and I spotted this Snake on the rocks.

I'm not sure what he is doing, but that may be his attack mode.

Be very, very careful around this kind of Snake. They are known to be most unpredictable. I just read this morning that they can become highly agititated when they fail to capture an intended prey item! :unsure:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
While hiking with Snake, Trovamo, and Ag-ado5 yesterday morning, I almost stepped on this guy!

Snake swears it was a 6-foot rattlesnake...but I'll let you be the judge! [ :rolleyes: ]

f43d12e3-5f0d-4fc4-ab05-160982d4f588.jpg

Hey! I know my own kind. It was a 6-foot long Ribbon Rattler. They are very rare and you are fortunate to have seen one. I notice you used my picture, not yours :lol:

While hiking with Snake, Trovamo, and Ag-ado5 yesterday morning, I almost stepped on this guy!

Snake swears it was a 6-foot rattlesnake...but I'll let you be the judge! [ :rolleyes: ]

Hey! I know my own kind. It was a 6-foot long Ribbon Rattler. They are very rare and you are fortunate to have seen one. I notice you used my picture, not yours :lol:

Based on the dorsal stripe, it looks like you were blessed with a sighting of Coast Patch-Nosed Snake (Salvadora hexalepis virgultea), a Federal Species of Special Concern that is rarely seen. Surprisingly little is known about their natural history other than their preferred prey is the whiptail lizard. The special patch on their nose is thought to be used for digging up lizards and their eggs. It is fast and agile and reportedly able to withstand very high temperatures.

-GD

Based on the dorsal stripe, it looks like you were blessed with a sighting of Coast Patch-Nosed Snake (Salvadora hexalepis virgultea), a Federal Species of Special Concern that is rarely seen. Surprisingly little is known about their natural history other than their preferred prey is the whiptail lizard. The special patch on their nose is thought to be used for digging up lizards and their eggs. It is fast and agile and reportedly able to withstand very high temperatures.

-GD

Wow! Thanks! We had incorrectly indentified it, both in jest, and reality. He was fairly bold, letting us take pictures before slithering off around my boot. I'm glad none of us accidently stepped on him!

Friday, 7/20/2007

MTRP is one of San Diego's great snake havens. I spotted this Southern Pacific Rattlesnake within 6 feet of indicated GZ for Come to Jacks House. I looked around a little but decided Jack could stay hidden while I enjoyed another chance to photograph an obliging cache critter of the first tier.

Please use caution and common sense and keep a safe distance when observing or photographing any rattlesnake.

-GD

The context - do you see it?

efa43b49-43b8-4d20-97d7-7d5a7596e317.jpg

Whole body exposure

40f7310b-1af3-4bea-936c-00dafa1ed6c4.jpg

Portrait

a23d2337-6668-4e13-a07d-738a36c1349f.jpg

Friday, 7/20/2007

MTRP is one of San Diego's great snake havens.

The context - do you see it?

efa43b49-43b8-4d20-97d7-7d5a7596e317.jpg

No. Must be one of those stealth snakes. Could you point, please?

I can't see it either... And if a fellow Snake and related reptile (lawyer) can't see it, it must be hiding really well...

Edited by FlagMan
I've often wondered how many of these fellows we walk right past without ever realizing it. This one is pretty near invisible.

A year ago last November, Ms. LLOT found a Southern Pacific Diamondback snuggled up against our back door (we think it was trying to stay warm). Not really wanting a rattler so close to the house, I captured it and moved it out onto the hillside. When I released it, I was absolutely amazed at how quickly and thoroughly it blended into the grass. It was almost invisible even though I knew exactly what to look for and where to look.

7/7/2007

A flock of Horned Larks (Eremophila alpestris) proved surprisingly challenging to photograph after being spotted out in very open terrain near Parque Nacional de Constitucion de 1857, one of two recently posted caches at Laguna Hanson in Baja. They were flitting here and there in a group of a dozen or so shortly before sundown and seldom paused for more than a few seconds. Here are three images I was able to capture.

-GD

Horned Lark (adult female)

9563555b-bcfd-473b-8d48-84fec7a59530.jpg

Horned Lark (adult male)

8032a8a3-0583-4e25-8165-58515f16e79e.jpg

Female closeup

ffa530e8-d74d-4efe-b997-57ba88476ef5.jpg

7/21/2007

Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) spotted while caching north of Barrett Lake. Juveniles have black heads. Adults have red heads. According to Sibley, recent research suggests New World vultures are more closely related to storks than to hawks or eagles and some authorities merge vultures and storks into a single family.

-GD

10:15 am - Banking turn to catch a morning thermal at Blame This On T. R.

36d8fcc9-7bdf-44bf-ab2c-8be868c60609.jpg

Noon - Over-the-shoulder juvenile at Hard Hike, Easy Find

18a7dd81-942e-4709-847c-5daf378c3cbf.jpg

Faux eagle

602dc515-febc-4bd1-979a-cd2e883ab662.jpg

Curious youngster

bc3b5a8e-ad91-495b-8ed3-b172d52c1adb.jpg

Super shots as usual Don. I recognize this vulture 'cause it's the one that looked me over as I

struggled up that peak. I fooled him and didn't die.

8096143b-fcca-4144-8e3a-3e169737bd8d.jpg

Your Cache Critters Thread has sure turned out to be a great idea. There's some terrific photos

posted on the many pages. I still wish it had been my idea. Keep up the good work.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

7/28/2007

Drove up I5 today and stopped for the evening in Los Banos on our way to drop off Gecko Gurl for jazz band camp in the Sierra foothills tomorrow. Had enough twilight after dinner to briefly explore the Los Banos Wildlife Area, acquired in 1929 as the first of California's waterfowl refuges. In addition to a fine full moon rise, I saw three Great Blue Herons, a muskrat, and, as I approached Henry Miller, Ducks and Grebes (GC12YOV), I encountered a number of spiders busily spinning their webs for evening catching. This is one of them.

-GD

LBS (Little brown spider)

49678bcd-1c01-4d23-8ce1-303785a9b6cc.jpg

Moonrise reflections on Upper Ruth Lake

87955733-8dca-41c0-80fe-dbe366e056c8.jpg

7/28/2007

Drove up I5 today and stopped for the evening in Los Banos on our way to drop off Gecko Gurl for jazz band camp in the Sierra foothills tomorrow. Had enough twilight after dinner to briefly explore the Los Banos Wildlife Area.

LBS (Little brown spider)

49678bcd-1c01-4d23-8ce1-303785a9b6cc.jpg

fadc3dd8-dff1-472e-944b-7c7cd948c885.jpg

That's an interesting area around Los Banos, surprisingly.