San Diego County Cache Critters

Team Gecko

A very nice day at Homo Erectus. (Too bad I had to go back to work... :D )

fff1eee8-b949-4ce5-87bc-e0be4d9c2c61.jpg

22681bea-4e8c-46e4-9627-5f658b2b7f86.jpg

So y' want boids do y'?

0b0f2500-8ad0-486e-92fc-2c8d0fb05c03.jpg

As to going back to work ... when you work there's two good days and five

bad days each week.

For a retired couple the same week has two bad days and five good days.

That's Sandy of SD Rowdies spending one of our five good days this week

with a flock of Mallards beside Big Bear Lake near GCP43N.

Life is good,

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thursday, 1/3/2008, 10:45 am.

On our seventh and last morning in Yosemite Valley at the end of our traditional winter visit, we spotted this coyote in Cook's Meadow along the path between Waypoint 6 and Waypoint 7 for our Yosemite Vally High Water - The 100 Year Flood virtual cache. I have seen their pouncing behavior in the past but was not as prepared to capture one in the act. This coyote actually jumped twice but I was not quite quick enough with the shutter on the first go. After gobbling down a first catch, it continued on a short distance before freezing, ears erect, listening for telltale scurry sounds under the snow. To capture the final image, I held steady for nearly 20 seconds (it seemed an eternity) as it coiled up, cat like, before making this remarkable jump.

For those interested, the camera settings were ISO 50, F/4.5, 1/320 second. These shots were all hand held. The coyote was 50-75 yards away during this sequence.

-GD

First look

35d3f967-ee83-4a7a-8651-480faee6ad83.jpg

On the prowl

c6a367d6-901e-4fbb-9ef5-df2ccadb862d.jpg

After a pounce

13f2448f-be0f-4a39-bfb2-4b13884c0559.jpg

Zeroing in

144ad4ad-542c-4415-8223-7b2d5e763955.jpg

Success!

7e8a2c9f-a6ff-4add-9063-488699c2a5bf.jpg

Detecting another

f99057f7-99a7-49f3-b762-6d4d9cedef1a.jpg

High jumping for breakfast

275a966a-44a6-42fc-a7ed-5d8b2419b100.jpg

Fabulous shot! It reminds me of watching a coyote stalk geese in the Basque del Apache refuge several years ago...

James-

Thanks. Was the goose-stalking coyote successful? Hard to imagine one could get close enough but then again, they are certainly resourceful.

-GD

Fabulous shot! It reminds me of watching a coyote stalk geese in the Basque del Apache refuge several years ago...

Thanks. Was the goose-stalking coyote successful? Hard to imagine one could get close enough but then again, they are certainly resourceful.

It was! There was a sudden explosion of movement from the coyote, an explosion of geese as they flew in every direction, and then a very happy looking coyote trotting away with a goose in it's mouth.

Sunday, 12/30/2007

I've been hiking some quite remote sections of Anza Borrego since the first of the year. The scenery and solitude have been exceptional but the critters have been in very short supply. Here are a few photos taken on an evening twilight walk along a stretch of the Merced River that parallels the route of our Yosemite Valley High Water - The 100 Year Flood. After being greeted by a Lincoln's sparrow at water's edge, Groovy and I enjoyed watching an American Dipper (aka Ouzel) diving and swimming under water for its food. We spent perhaps 45 minutes observing its remarkable performance until it started to get dark and quite chilly. As we came back through some brambles to reach the path, we spotted two bobcats prowling along the edge of the forest where we emerged. The dim lighting made this portrait a challenging one to capture.

-GD

Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii)

79c61fde-498c-4728-9c29-70585a0c92d4.jpg

American Dipper or Ouzel (Cinclus mexicanus)

da5dd6c5-83e2-4861-ab8c-5b3a25617146.jpg

Going for a dip

a02d4454-95a1-4fd1-9cdd-e0d2ae4ceb09.jpg

Kitty lair

2af188e1-2301-46a2-8759-91c0e5d1cd58.jpg

1e101dd9-d9fb-42ed-8f9f-498a322dd204.jpg

After Guame and I grabbed Lulu499's "Come and Get It!!" cache we headed to the ocean for some fishing. Actually, it was just to get the line wet (no fish). Just as I grabbed a fishing pole, the Pelican landed in the water next to us and stayed for quite awhile. I stared at the pelican as the pelican continued the stare back. Sure glad I brought the camera. Enjoy!

Edited by Winkster

:o

I saw this large lizard at Rocket Man's Coolswag@ViewJunction cache back on 3/30/03.

I remember at my first glance I thought it was a snake! Any idea what it is?

54f783d7-2f04-44f0-acfa-9f5e4961e848.jpg

It's some kind of skink. I'd look it up, but I'm still at work (sigh). :o

That's a Southern Alligator Lizard (Elgaria multicarinata). They are quite common in San Diego County. We usually have one or two hanging around our house or in the garage.

-Gecko Dad

:blink:

I saw this large lizard at Rocket Man's Coolswag@ViewJunction cache back on 3/30/03.

I remember at my first glance I thought it was a snake! Any idea what it is?

54f783d7-2f04-44f0-acfa-9f5e4961e848.jpg

It's some kind of skink. I'd look it up, but I'm still at work (sigh). :)

That's a Southern Alligator Lizard (Elgaria multicarinata). They are quite common in San Diego County. We usually have one or two hanging around our house or in the garage.

-Gecko Dad

Seeing Alligator lizards always make me think about the song "Ventura Highway" by America because of the lyric "Alligator lizards in the air." I did some research to find out what that lyric means and found out some interesting tidbits about the song. The song itself tells of Dewey and his time living in Omaha in his youth - "chewing on a piece of grass". The winters in Omaha were brutal - "this town don't look good in snow" and he would dream of California and wonder how much longer he was going to stay in Omaha. The city that most attracted his attention was the 'mythical' city of Ventura, California. Between 1955 and 1974 (the song was written in 1972) the "Ventura Highway" was a real name for the segment of what is now US 101 that went from route 134 to the northern end of Ventura County. One day when Dewey was in LA he spotted some Alligator lizards on a very smoggy LA day. The smog gave the illusion that the lizards were in the air. :) Edited by TrailGators

Yesterday, while hiking in Hollenbeck, we saw these two deer:

e96df80e-f3be-413d-91ec-23a364fe8f1a.jpg

That area is spectacularly-green now and the poppies are blooming in profusion.

93637719-b3ce-4a6a-9112-809e6bc52448.jpg

It is a great place to hike. . . and there are a lot of caches out there, if you haven't been there before. :unsure:

Here we have 1,000,001 cache critters.

We have 1,000,000 bees and 1 devhead. :D

We were searching for OLD CAP'N STINKY'S TREASURE CHEST!!. My GPS zeroed right under this massive beehive and I was about to duck down into the bushes when I realized I was face to face with them bees. :D

272112818_Naqar-M.jpg

272111452_b86md-M.jpg

Whoa, that freaks me out and I’m not even afraid of bees.

Did you guys throw any rocks at it just to see what would happen? :):D

We have 1,000,000 bees and 1 devhead. :D

We were searching for OLD CAP'N STINKY'S TREASURE CHEST!!. My GPS zeroed right under this massive beehive and I was about to duck down into the bushes when I realized I was face to face with them bees. :D

272112818_Naqar-M.jpg

272111452_b86md-M.jpg

Did you guys throw any rocks at it just to see what would happen? :):D

Actually... I had a weird sensation to touch it, and have the bees crawl all over my hand.

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#1 in a series)

Takin - Near Thimpu, Capital of Bhutan

62cfa426-a43b-46b9-9887-f0de7b14f4f8.jpg

Just back from 3 1/2 weeks in Bhutan and India. We didn't find very many caches (a grand total of 2) in this part of the world, but we did find every cache in the entire country of Bhutan (a grand total of 1). We also took a lot of photos of critters. Rather than upload them all in one go, I'll post them over the next several days.

This is a "takin". It's kind of a goat-antelope that lives in the lower Himalayas (between 6,000 and 14,000 feet above sea level). It is the national animal of Bhutan.

You San Diegoans know what you're doing. This is another awesome thread! It's a shame us Arizonians can't come together, start some cool threads, and join this fun.

Unfortunately, we are all still stuck on a listserv

Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India
Very cool pictures. I had to look up Bhutan on the map to see where it was. I've never even heard of that country.
Those are cool photos James! Thanks for sharing them! :laughing:

Bhutan isn't too far from:

I think I'm going to Kathmandu.

Thats really, really where Im going to.

If I ever get out of here,

Thats what I'm gonna do.

Maybe you had that song in your head on the way there. Name the artist for 10 points.. :unsure: .

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#1 in a series)

Takin - Near Thimpu, Capital of Bhutan

62cfa426-a43b-46b9-9887-f0de7b14f4f8.jpg

Just back from 3 1/2 weeks in Bhutan and India. We didn't find very many caches (a grand total of 2) in this part of the world, but we did find every cache in the entire country of Bhutan (a grand total of 1). We also took a lot of photos of critters. Rather than upload them all in one go, I'll post them over the next several days.

This is a "takin". It's kind of a goat-antelope that lives in the lower Himalayas (between 6,000 and 14,000 feet above sea level). It is the national animal of Bhutan.

You've been gone for 3 1/2 weeks? THAT explains why you haven't visited all the new caches around here! Very cool pictures - keep 'em coming!

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India
Very cool pictures. I had to look up Bhutan on the map to see where it was. I've never even heard of that country.
Those are cool photos James! Thanks for sharing them! :laughing:

Bhutan isn't too far from:

I think I'm going to Kathmandu.

Thats really, really where Im going to.

If I ever get out of here,

Thats what I'm gonna do.

Maybe you had that song in your head on the way there. Name the artist for 10 points.. :unsure: .

Bob Seger

We didn't have the tune in our heads getting there since we drove in from Phuentsholing. The road is absolutely wild -- it starts out at 2000 feet at the Indian border and immediately heads up, up, up into the Himalayas. The distance from Phuntsholing to Thimpu is 43 miles as the crow flies, but it's over 100 miles to drive it (which takes about 6-7 hours) The road is barely wide enough for two goods vehicles (a.k.a. trucks) to pass and the penalty for going too close to the edge in many places is a long steep drop...

b5587312-3370-49d8-aa39-31c6714abd0a.jpg

Leaving Bhutan, we went by airplane and we did stop briefly in Kathmandu before flying on to Delhi...

But since this is supposed to be a Cache Critters thread, here's my attempt to keep it on topic...

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#3 in a series)

Whitecapped Water Redstart - Near Taktshang Monastary, Paro District, Bhutan

36309c89-750b-4384-9b15-8967bd069fb6.jpg

We have 1,000,000 bees and 1 devhead. :laughing:

We were searching for OLD CAP'N STINKY'S TREASURE CHEST!!. My GPS zeroed right under this massive beehive and I was about to duck down into the bushes when I realized I was face to face with them bees. :laughing:

272112818_Naqar-M.jpg

272111452_b86md-M.jpg

Did you guys throw any rocks at it just to see what would happen? :rolleyes::laughing:

I think that is when the bees all form into the shape of an arrow or a syringe, and chase you all the way to Santee Lakes until you jump into the lake. Then they all hang around until they all follow the smart one, and fly into the hollowed out piece of bamboo you are breathing through. :laughing:

06ffc226-1bab-4926-a1d8-d2090f12f20d.jpg

Wow! you had the perfect opportunity to capture your own hive. While swarming bees have no

interest other than surrounding the new Queen so no reason to expect stings. Next time you

encounter a swarm like that just snip the branch and drop the entire swarm into your partner's

backpack. Once home place the swarm into a temporary home such as a large cardboard carton

until you can acquire a regulation bee-box.

Once you acquire a back-yard swarm they will get to know you and your family members and

pets. For detailed instructions make sure to read the cache description for Jutht Whithtle Otay?

O yeah, before capturing the swarm make sure your car-keys are in your pants-pocket rather

than at the bottom of the backpack. ... and make sure to zip your backpack closed.

Give it some thought, have I ever lied to you before?

Did I mention corn-silk hair? ... sorry, if you are blessed with corn-silk hair like Splashette then

just pass on by when you come upon a swarm or hive. Ask Janie, she can fill you in on the

amusing details. [... snicker...]

Take pictures too. [... snicker, snark ...]

Edited by SD Rowdies
I just did that cache yesterday and saw that same bird. It must be his territory.
I believe that is a roadrunner. They are in the cuckoo family, Cuculidae, native to North and Central America. Interestingly their genus is Geococcyx. So they are officially geo-birds! :laughing:

According to my reference, it is a Birdius Tastius (though it is also known by an earlier name, Acceleratti Incredibilus). It is preyed upon by the Poultrius Devourius. :ph34r:

I just did that cache yesterday and saw that same bird. It must be his territory.
I believe that is a roadrunner. They are in the cuckoo family, Cuculidae, native to North and Central America. Interestingly their genus is Geococcyx. So they are officially geo-birds! :laughing:

According to my reference, it is a Birdius Tastius (though it is also known by an earlier name, Acceleratti Incredibilus). It is preyed upon by the Poultrius Devourius. :ph34r:

You sound just like Don with all that Latin! Well almostus... ;) Edited by TrailGators