6 Month Ban

lathama

I know where Lathama is coming from. The game seems to have changed a lot since "the good old days" but I don't think it is a particlarly bad thing.

I like the way that cache densities have got so high in some places that you can spend an entire day caching on foot as oposed to spending a lot of the time in the car...which is a good thing IMHO.

There may be a lot of caches out there but it is rather rare to come across a cache that has no saving graces at all.

Chris

each to their own, i take it you'll not be caching for the next six months then? or will not go to any new ones at least?

so what if you ride past a cache. either combine the two hobbies or live happily with them seperate.

why should anyone else change their hobby to make you feel a little better?

it's quality not quantity that is and always will be the issue. as long as they are good then bring them on. the more the merrier.

:D

such angst from someone so young!!! :D:D

[Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Too many caches, you think you have a problem?

http://www.geocaching-france.com/maps/_visualiser_maps.php

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.]

Err wow....Glad i dont live in France, i know its a big country but that is some travelling you'd have to do to get some big numbers up! :D

ps HOW DO YOU QUOTE SOMETHING??????

Edited by pieces_of_8

Top right of each message is a button 'quote'. This will copy the entire message into a box just below the one you are provided for typing in.

Delete from that box any part of the message that you don't really need to quote.

Scroll down the page and either preview your post just to make sure you have got it right or post it.

[Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Too many caches, you think you have a problem?

http://www.geocaching-france.com/maps/_visualiser_maps.php

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.]

Err wow....Glad i dont live in France, i know its a big country but that is some travelling you'd have to do to get some big numbers up! :D

But surely if you have a problem with the UK having too many caches France would be your ideal Caching place; with it's low cache density, you can't argue on both sides of the fence!

Top right of each message is a button 'quote'. This will copy the entire message into a box just below the one you are provided for typing in.

Delete from that box any part of the message that you don't really need to quote.

Scroll down the page and either preview your post just to make sure you have got it right or post it.

Ah ha so thats how its done...thanks

Mart

But surely if you have a problem with the UK having too many caches France would be your ideal Caching place; with it's low cache density, you can't argue on both sides of the fence!

I suppose thinking about it really the problem is personal, from the point of view i go on a caching trip (not local) clear out an area of caches yippee :D , THEN a week later a load more NEW caches appear in the same area DOH!! :D Forcing a return visit. Just my way of thinking...not sure what my goal is...do i really want to clear the entire country!?! NO because then i'd get bored so i'm (after reading all the evidence presented) happy to let everyone continue as normal and plant away :D and appologise for having too much New Year cheer which may have affected my judgement :D:D

Mart

I suppose thinking about it really the problem is personal, from the point of view i go on a caching trip (not local) clear out an area of caches yippee :D , THEN a week later a load more NEW caches appear in the same area DOH!! :lol: Forcing a return visit. Just my way of thinking...not sure what my goal is...do i really want to clear the entire country!?! NO because then i'd get bored so i'm (after reading all the evidence presented) happy to let everyone continue as normal and plant away :D and appologise for having too much New Year cheer which may have affected my judgement :P:P

Mart

But it is good to see that you have come on to our side :D

Just lathema to convince now, but he has hit radio silence

This probably wont be popular, but i feel that the Uk needs a 6 month placing ban on caches.

There are too many in the uk. We only have a small landmass, yet we average 8 new caches a day. We dont have room for all these new caches.

WE NEED A 6 MONTH BAN

295 caches in 4 years ?

And a student ?

Be reasonable.

Some of us go to work.

civilised

I am not going to give up on this, maybe you should go on a bike ride in the couuntry and then look on the map as to how many you have passed. I really dont want to be riding round the country past cache site here, cache site there, which spoils a ride

Since we took up caching we have visited more of our country side

and found some wonderful places. Places I had never heard of let alone would have visited if it had not been for caching.

If it had not been for caching we would all be. sat on our backsides moaning about the rise in the coast of a pint of milk. How sad would that be!

As stated by Lactadorum there is a didtsnce limit. If people cache in a responsible manner This is not a problem.

It Sounds like you have had enough of the sport and now your done with sharing the natural beatuy ,you want people to go home and think of something else to entertain themselves. So You have your peaceful country side back.

Remember the majority of cachers cache in and trash out whenever they cache and thats always a good thing.

Remember caching is

1. Fun

2. keeps you fit (1/2 hrs walking everyday is good for your heart)

so why not make it a cache.

3. Is harmless

4. not illegall

5. keeps the kids that enjoy the sport out of mischief, ( well they could always hang round the street anoying the neighbourhood)

Happy new year.

Edited by Jolly green giants

Personally, I think that if you think there are too many caches, then stop doing them, only do the ones you want to do!

If is very selfish to impose your views and opinions to the point of wanting a ban, when thousands of other cachers like the hobby!

OK! some area's do seem to be saturated, but the simple answers is....don't go there! Problem solved! Leave them alone, no-one is making you go...so DON'T!

Anyway, we live on a pension, we don't have mega bucks in a bank account to travel half way round the world to do remote caches. Local caches are ideal, as we see diffrent countryside and get exercise without being broke!

I suggest if you think there still are too many caches, you should go and live in another country which doesn't have many!

If is very selfish to impose your views and opinions to the point of wanting a ban,

Is it"written" that only views and opinions that would be anticipated as being popular can be expressed on this forum ?

Would anyone who had the slightest inclination to agree in any degree with Lathama dare post now ?

Two settees at the ready!

post a topic like this and its like shooting fish in a barrel

<enter think mode> yep .... got one ... new topic: there should be boys only caches coloured blue, and girly only caches coloured pink, which of course need to be easier cos they cant read their gps' as well ...... <exit think mode>

;)<_<;):o

I think that in posting this topic, it has shown that some people need to calm down (might include myself in that for one post - looks at mongoose and is grateful that apology has been accepted), but i do think that we should all keep our eyes on the numbers of caches in the UK as in the future i am sure a time will come when a ban is enforced. I would hate to be the one who had to reply to a topic with "i told you so"

i do think that we should all keep our eyes on the numbers of caches in the UK as in the future i am sure a time will come when a ban is enforced. I would hate to be the one who had to reply to a topic with "i told you so"

I don't think anybody has stated that a ban wouldn't be enforced in the future, how long is the fututre any way?

What you wanted was a ban now and that has gone against the grain of everybody, as it is not needed at the moment, or the near future for that matter.

So if you do say "I told you so", in 5, 10 or god knows how many years time, it will hardly hold any weight with the feeble argument that you have presented at this time.

t.a.folk Do you mean like if I was to express an opinion that cache containers left in place (abandoned)after they have been archived could be a potential  or "embarrassment " to caching in years to come?

LOL <_< No ... just that this topic was bound to get a rise out of 'geo-folk', whatever the outcome. Ite been great reading the postings.

:o;);)

This probably wont be popular, but i feel that the Uk needs a 6 month placing ban on caches.

There are too many in the uk. We only have a small landmass, yet we average 8 new caches a day. We dont have room for all these new caches.

Event caches are ok as they are only around for one day and then they are gone, but traditional or multi caches take up room which we dont want to have boxes cluttering up!

STOP PLACING CACHES

WE NEED A 6 MONTH BAN

As a great cacher was once quoted as saying "It's just a hunt for a lunch box" so just enjoy it.!

No one is forcing you to cache and as it has been said how offten do you bump into other cachers when out. NOT VERY. more so when it's an event.! oh I forgot aren't you ment to see each other on one of those and when it's a race against time to grab a Geo cion. other wise it is not that usual.

Edited by Jolly green giants
Just looked at lathama's profile me now thinks he only wants the ban cos he can;t come out and cache on a school night. A ban would allow him to keep up with the more keen cachers amounst us <_<

home work or cache ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

go back to your home work young man and stop throwing your toys out of your pram.

How dare you.

I have never met you and now instead of keeping this forum as a family event you have to go on a personal attack!

Event caches are ok as they are only around for one day and then they are gone, but traditional or multi caches take up room which we dont want to have boxes cluttering up!

STOP PLACING CACHES

WE NEED A 6 MONTH BAN

if there really is a problem, wouldn't the better solution be to limit a cache's time alive... remove and archived every cache over say 1 year old?

of course some locations (good ones? I hope) would be reused right away, others (strange or bad?) might never be. however, might kinda be a waste of time to kill caches that will be replaced right away? B)

Can anyone explain exactly why having a lot of caches in a particular area is bad? (assuming that all the caches are good quality ones and well hidden - we're not commenting on quality, just quantity).

Sorry if I'm being thick, but to discuss what we might do should there be "too many" caches around assumes that we know what "too many" means in this context - but I don't, so I can't offer an opinion.

There is a restriction of a minimum 0.1 miles between caches, but I understand this to be an arbitrary distance, imposed to avoid the confusion which would be caused should two caches be too close to the same coordinates.

A year ago I went to a city which was supposed to be "saturated" with caches (Edinburgh), and found a rather sparse scattering instead. Since then, I've cached in many different areas and haven't found anywhere that I felt had "too many".

Are there any examples of such a problem area, and what's the problem in practice?

B)

HH

I must admit that a couple of years ago it was said that it would not be as much fun if there was a cache under every rock.

Well for us it’s true. When there was just a few it was exciting to plan a day out to get a couple of caches and find them sometimes miles apart. Now it’s a case of choosing which of many caches to do in the area you’re going to.

There are two caches that have been placed less than 5 minutes from my house and none of us have been bothered to find them. We have even walked passed or run passed them at least 15 times since they have been set. The thrill of caching has certainly disappeared with so many around.

I used to look forward to a new cache in the area. Now the weekly email goes into the junk folder as there are too many new caches appearing.

I don’t think a 6 month ban would work but a limit of 2 or 3 per cacher might make people think about the best place to put one of their quota.

It won’t happen, and I told you so may come sooner than you think. It already has for some.

some toes have been trodden on haven't they!!!

i can see an argument for some control of caches thrown out without thought or care just for the sake of a cache icon by a cacher. but like most things it's hard to regualte without hurting some other aspect.

so i think that we'll have to put up with the less than impressive caches so that we don't ruin the quality out there. the distance rule should help then it's down to you to look and decide if it's worth your effort to find.

how desperate are you to clear the unfound local caches? :lol:

Spokes,

The thrill of caching has certainly disappeared with so many around.

I'm glad that someone has had a go at explaining why more caches is a problem, although I still don't quite see it. Are you saying that, as soon as you have to choose between caches you go off the whole idea? Hasn't this been the case for years (unless you're restricted to just a very local area)? If there had only been one cache placed 5 minutes from home, would that have been better than two - why does the second one spoil the first?

As I normally have thousands of unfound caches to select from, I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to spot the better ones and plan a good day out.

Nobby,

the distance rule should help

I think you're getting on to cache quality rather than quantity here: in either case I don't see that the distance rule is relevant.

HH

It goes back to what I said.

There is no rule in having to cache every cache!

There are 3 local to me, infact 2 on my door step virtually, but I will do them as and when, there is no big race ..is there?

People cache at the caches they choose, at the pace they choose!

Next it will be suggested that we have to cache so many in a certain period of time! how rediculous and un reasonable to even think it!

I agree, if there were complaints by the land owners about having too many on a particular peice of land, then they should be thinned out, but otherwise... leave well alone and just be more cache selective!

I've got a great idea! ;) Why doesn't everyone archive half of their caches for 6 months, then we can get Lacto and Ecky to reactivate them - just in time for us all to archive the other half! Problem solved - it would take caching back to the "good old days" before us noobs cluttered the whole world up with rubbish caches.... :lol:

:P Are you sure :lol::P;)

I only have 1 cache (thanks aRRKS ;);) ) and No trigpoints within 15 miles of my house that have not been "bagged"

bring on some new caches and if you can get the OS to put up some new trigpoints that will be good as well :P

Edited by Deego

:D Are you sure :lol::P;)

I only have 1 cache (thanks aRRKS ;);) ) and No trigpoints within 15 miles of my house that have not been "bagged"

Ditto. not the same numbers though :P

We go caching almost every weekend. Not doing the closest to home makes no sense from a cost point of view.

However the number of half star caches has increased notably of late near to us.

We felt one of our recent caches was below par for us but based on some others we have done lately its an outstanding cache.

I feel sorry for some new cachers who may think "these" are all the sport has to offer. :P