Congratulations Threads

scaw

I have noticed that there are loads of congratulations threads I thought the idea of the pinned thread at the top was for congratulations. Its becoming increasingly difficult to find threads about geocaching for threads on congratulations.

I dont have a prob;lem with people saying well done but do it in the correct place. :P

Now dont all rush at once to shout me down :lol: just one of those things that gets to me ;)

This question/comment comes up with regularity although as the forum search feature is currently disabled you may well not have found previous threads.

All I will say is that many people agree with you and many people disagree with you. I had hoped that having a general pinned thread would decrease the plethora of "Congrats on your 100/200/500/743 find" threads we still have but obviously not.

I use the very handy Greasemonkey "Ignore Threads" script which means whenever I see the dreaded "C" word, one click and it's gone forever :lol: Maybe someone can post a link.....

Edited by Lactodorum
If you use Firefox and have the latest GreaseMonkey extension installed, then

right click here to install a script which provides a little "ignore" button next to each thread.

Thanks to Ian Rutson, you can now also click the little envelope icons to mark threads you are interested in too.

Neat bit of programming. Thanks Lordelph and Rutson :P:P:P

(Sorry about the congrats threads that I posted but I was only getting rid of their "Low Points" ;):P:lol: )

I think i am in the minority here, but i feel that congrats threads have a purpose. People cache time and time again, some rarley come to the forums, but the insentive to think that your name might be up in lights when you reach a 100 milestone gives them reason to come.

Having all congrats in 1 pinned thread, not only becomes confusing but also means that cachers miss out of this chance to be in the limelight.

I think i am in the minority here, but i feel that congrats threads have a purpose.

You're not in the minority. I believe there was a poll, and the slight majority was for congrats threads to stay. Of course, with no search facility, it's difficult to find when it was, but I think it was about a year ago.

Personally, I can't see the problem with them, provided they're at sensible milestones (every century is reasonable for most of us). Congrats threads beat a lot of other topics which get raised! It does seem that, as with so many subjects here and elsewhere, it's only those against that make so much noise.

It has been a while since we've had this discussion though, so fire away everybody!

Edited by NickPick

As Lacto has pointed out already, the Firefox browser with GreaseMonkey and Lordelph & Co's excellent scripts have resolved this issue for all parties (as well as pulling in better OS maps into cache pages).

The little blue "x" can make the object of your ire disappear into the void for whatever the subject that grabs your goat.

Don't get CROSS - get a "cross"!

As Lacto has pointed out already, the Firefox browser with GreaseMonkey and Lordelph & Co's excellent scripts have resolved this issue for all parties (as well as pulling in better OS maps into cache pages).

The little blue "x" can make the object of your ire disappear into the void for whatever the subject that grabs your goat.

Don't get CROSS - get a "cross"!

But I don't fire any foxes..... can someone do the same for Internet Explorer?

But I don't fire any foxes..... can someone do the same for Internet Explorer?

:ph34r:

How come you don't use it?

Tried it - didn't like it? or Can't install/run it?

As anyone who knows me will tell you... when it comes to PCs, I'm a complete dipstick. Whenever I try to load or install anything I end up with a complete disaster and someone has to come and fix it for me. So I work on the principal that "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" and as far as I'm concerned IE ain't broke... so I'm not going to upset it by installing some upstart new software thingy :blink:

As anyone who knows me will tell you... when it comes to PCs, I'm a complete dipstick. Whenever I try to load or install anything I end up with a complete disaster and someone has to come and fix it for me. So I work on the principal that "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" and as far as I'm concerned IE ain't broke... so I'm not going to upset it by installing some upstart new software thingy :blink:

Fair enough :wub:

I was a bit dubious to use firefox at first.

You can install it and use IE as well. Also, firefox allows you to import all of your favourtites/bookmarks from IE :ph34r:

<tired voice>Congratulations threads are well labelled as such and can easily be ignored, 'manually' or with greasemonkey help. I have no interest in the many PDA/palm/iPaq threads but you don't hear me (or other paper cachers) complain about them - not even now, because I'm not. They serve a purpose for others and I don't begrudge anyone that. The same's true of Congrats threads, and I'm not just saying this as I have my own on this page at the moment. There's a vocal minority (I believe) who object to them - and I have to say I object more to frequentish 'put congrats in the pinned thread' threads than almost any other topic on these forums. Congrats on SIGNIFICANT MILESTONES ONLY* threads represent the best of the social side of caching in the UK. If you don't like them, don't start them and don't read them. Simple.</tired voice>

Just my opinion, mind :ph34r:

SP

*The other sort do bring my inner Moote out though :blink:

Firefox is a doddle to install.

The other bits aren't too bad either. A bit of button pressing and it all worked. IE was still there in splendid isolation to go back to if it went pear-shaped.

The end result is pretty impressive. I went for FF originally for the automatic import of the OS maps instead of the grey pin map on the cache pages.

Next was Lordelphs bit for pulling in a 1:25K OS map from making the co-ordinates into a hotlink.

...and lastly, the blue cross thing is an absolute cracking solution to the "Congrats War" that leaves everyone with the view of the forums that they wanted.

You'll find the other good bits of FF once you've started using it...

I use IE and very happy with it not installing a program so i can ignore posts on one forum.

The area i live in It can take me most of the day by the time i drive to a cache and yump for hours up a flippin hill side to get 1 cache but do i get a mega congrats after doing it nope :blink: but its no less work than someone who has done 100 in a day :wub: but i have to go through posts looking for ones that arent well done when there is a special area at the top of the forum

thats my rant over with :ph34r:

I agree with Sue and Bernie with regard to Firefox and its relation Thunderbird. They have definite advantages and I have hit no snags yet except a minor one concerning the lists of folders to move messages into when read - I don't like leaving them in my inbox.

The facility to mark topics you don't want to read with a 'x' is very useful but does not work if you browse the list of topics by using the 'next' or 'previous' buttons (or am I missing something?)

With regard to congratulation threads I have suggested before that, if they are closed as soon as they have been opened, the point will be made and we will all know who has achieved a significant target. Then further congratulations if wanted can be made in the pinned topic - is it possible to put a link in to the pinned topic?

Edited by John Stead
<tired voice>Congratulations threads are well labelled as such and can easily be ignored, 'manually' or with greasemonkey help. I have no interest in the many PDA/palm/iPaq threads but you don't hear me (or other paper cachers) complain about them - not even now, because I'm not. They serve a purpose for others and I don't begrudge anyone that. The same's true of Congrats threads, and I'm not just saying this as I have my own on this page at the moment. There's a vocal minority (I believe) who object to them - and I have to say I object more to frequentish 'put congrats in the pinned thread' threads than almost any other topic on these forums. Congrats on SIGNIFICANT MILESTONES ONLY* threads represent the best of the social side of caching in the UK. If you don't like them, don't start them and don't read them. Simple.</tired voice>

Just my opinion, mind :ph34r:

SP

*The other sort do bring my inner Moote out though :blink:

Boy! You took the words right out of my mouth and rearranged them in a more articulate manner! :wub:

I use the very handy Greasemonkey "Ignore Threads" script which means whenever I see the dreaded "C" word, one click and it's gone forever :wub: Maybe someone can post a link.....

Oooooooh, so if I wanted to gossip and say that Lactordorum is a geezer or some other such thing, all I would have to do is put it in a congratulations thread heading and you would delete it without reading it? Excellent! Thanks for the tip! :ph34r:

Now as I was saying, that Lactodorum bloke .... ;)

:DB):blink:

I use the very handy Greasemonkey "Ignore Threads" script which means whenever I see the dreaded "C" word, one click and it's gone forever  ;)  Maybe someone can post a link.....

Oooooooh, so if I wanted to gossip and say that Lactordorum is a geezer or some other such thing, all I would have to do is put it in a congratulations thread heading and you would delete it without reading it? Excellent! Thanks for the tip! :ph34r:

Now as I was saying, that Lactodorum bloke .... :D

:blink:B):wub:

Yup! Put it in a C....... thread and say what you like about me B) !!!

I often read and reply to congratulations threads for cachers whom I know, or have met before at local bashes, bumped into whilst caching etc.

I am not keen on using the pinned congratulations thread because there is no structure - just page after page of congrats to mostly cachers unknown to me. Trawling through them often seems one of those 'duties' that I feel I should be doing, but don't like doing.

Starting a new thread within the UK forum to congratulate a cacher, at least creates a 'folder' which is easily scanned by those looking for their 'friends' achievements - something that is not so easy to do in the pinned forum.

Having said that, there does seem to be a lot of congrats threads appearing over the last few days!

:blink:

So if only 100/500/1000/2000 milestones are important should I change the hall of fame into the four groups ?

I like it the way it is :) Keep up the good work (unless it's too much work? ;) )

I don't see the problem with the congrats threads, it's not as though the forum is flooded with new topics (on various subjects) every 5 mins.

The end result is pretty impressive. I went for FF originally for the automatic import of the OS maps instead of the grey pin map on the cache pages.

Next was Lordelphs bit for pulling in a 1:25K OS map from making the co-ordinates into a hotlink.

...and lastly, the blue cross thing is an absolute cracking solution to the "Congrats War" that leaves everyone with the view of the forums that they wanted.

I never look at the stupid little map thing anyway. By the time I look at a cache page I've already got the cache located on MemoryMap anyway so I know the area where it's located.

As for turning co-ordinates into a hot link.... Lordelph's a splendid fellow but my job is to make my caches harder to find not easier so on my caches hotlinks are definitely a no-no. On caches I'm looking for, 'spoodle' and 'waypoint workbench' have already done their job and all the intermediate waypoints are nicely plotted on MM so hot links aren't needed, thank you very much.

Looking for the give-a-way indicators in a 'Congratulations' thread... like '100' or '500' etc means I can identify and ignore them quite easily without having to worry about blue crosses... (don't they give cats and dogs away?). And anyway.... I like to congratulate those worthies who've achieved a milestone... especially if they've bought me a beer or two in the past.

Now.... tell me again why I need Firefox ;)

Just my opinion, mind <_<

SP

And mine, phrased so much better.

Haven't people got better things to do than frequently complain about certain subjects?

I never look at the stupid little map thing anyway. By the time I look at a cache page I've already got the cache located on MemoryMap anyway so I know the area where it's located.

Now.... tell me again why I need Firefox :)

Are you sure your way is best John ??? your only on 1097 :) Keep up the good work mate :)

I don't have a problem manually ignoring the post's that I don't want to read and I get a lot of info from the forums. I have not started many Congrats threads this year, but that's not because I don't like them, however, I do post in the Congrats threads when I see somebody has hit a milestone.

I think simply Paul was correct and no doubt we will have this conversation again in another few months time.

<_< Deego :)

Seriously, it's got a reputation for being more secure than IE, and as a self confessed IT Numpty, you need all the security you can get.

I seem to remember reading somewhere recently that Firefox's 'superior' security wasn't, in fact, all it was cracked up to be but I can't remember the details.

True... I'm not all that clued up on the technicalities of PCs in the way that a lot of you are but that doesn't mean that I'm not conscious of the potential security risks associated with 'surfing the web'. I have Zone Alarm Pro installed in preference to the firewall that comes with my XP Home operating system. I've also have the 'paid for' AVG anti-virus software which is updated daily and I use Digiportal's excellent ChoiceMail One anti-spam thingy that 'does the biz' with my e-mails. So far I've had no problems.... [looks round for some wood to touch <_< ]