Clayjar Chatroom

Jamie Z

This isn't really a GC.com issue,

Is there somewhere else where I could have gotten a better answer?

It's a geoaching issue. Perhaps the general forum would have been better.

Geocaching.com Web Site forum description:

Discuss new features (or feature requests), bugs, etc. specific to the Geocaching.com site.

It's pretty much the same as complaining to Jeremy that navicache.com is down. Nothing anyone at gc.com can do about it.

Edited by Mopar

[added since Mopar edited his post]

It's very much unlike complaining to Jeremy that navicache.com is down.

I never complained. Read my post. I asked if anyone else had a similar experience.

I didn't direct my post to Jeremy. In fact, I specifically stated "anyone."

The ClayJar chat room is a link from geocaching dot com. I think it very much like if I asked about the link to Mapquest from the cache pages not working as it should.

Jamie

[added since Mopar edited his post]

It's very much unlike complaining to Jeremy that navicache.com is down.

I never complained. Read my post. I asked if anyone else had a similar experience.

I didn't direct my post to Jeremy. In fact, I specifically stated "anyone."

The ClayJar chat room is a link from geocaching dot com. I think it very much like if I asked about the link to Mapquest from the cache pages not working as it should.

Jamie

OK, maybe not complaining. But it's still a technical support question about a website that TPTB at GC.com have no control over, same as navicache or mapquest or GSAK.

The best place to ask questions about 3rd party services in general is usually via that party. Clayjar or mapquest tech support are not likely to be monitoring a forum about tech support for GC.com.

I have not installed anything; seems to work just fine here. :ph34r::anitongue:

Yes, that does make things rather odd.

You and webscouter have no problems with the java chat, yet Jamie and myself can not connect. In my case the java program itself appears to be running fine; the issue is with the client connecting to the actual IRC server.

Apparently some part of Al Gore's interweb is not working properly for some of us.

But it's still a technical support question about a website that TPTB at GC.com have no control over, same as navicache or mapquest or GSAK.

Ok, I'm gonna nitpick, just so you understand where I'm coming from.

I wasn't even looking for technical support. First I wanted to determine if this was a widespread problem. Perhaps I was the only one with the problem, in that case I could check to make sure I haven't changed anything on my side.

But now I see not only am I not the only one with the problem, but others don't have the problem at all. Strange.

In any case, I'm going out of town for a few days so the chat downtime isn't going to affect me too much in the immediate future.

Jamie

While the chat is neither hosted nor maintained by Groundspeak, it is of interest to the geocaching public. The thread was appropriately moved by Keystone to the best place to get the answer originally asked by Jamie Z. Let's get the topic to the original point, not whether or the forums are the correct place to get that answer.

Thanks.

:anitongue:

Could someone recommend a good freeware IRC client?  Thanks....

mIRC is nag-ware and the most used client out there. you get a screen every 5 or 6 starts thats all. It is really easy to use and since most people use it you can get help from almost anyone. www.mirc.com

That's not so bad... I thought it mightbe cripple-ware or something. I'll give it a whirl and finally check out Clayjars chat soon. Thanks. If I end up using it alot, it'll be worth it to register it.

/temporarily jobless :anitongue:

I just tried to connect using X-Chat (a Linux IRC client), and I thought it was going to time out. Right as I was about to close the program did it connect. I'm guessing it took about 3 minutes or so to connect to the server from Adelphia Powerlink in Ohio.

A traceroute went from servers in Cleveland to Buffalo to Chicago to Baltimore without a problem. Then it got time-outs.

So for the people who can't connect: it seems there's a slow (overloaded) node on the internet between you and irc.slashnet.org that might be causing your client to time out waiting for the connection.

That's not much more than a semi-intelligent guess, though.

Marce