Mapsource Update

Here is what has been changed:

Changed to merge data received from a GPS into the current document.

Added several map POI icons, including summit, landmark, arena/track, sports/fitness center, city hall, dealer/auto parts, and bowling center.

Added the ability to view the data contained in the current document in Google Earth, if it is installed.

Added support for importing LOC files.

Added the product restrictions dialog, which is shown when you open a map product that has limitations imposed by license restrictions with the map data vendor.

Improved error reporting during communication with PocketPC devices.

Changed the Route Preferences page to use a simpler road-selection preference.

Changed to not show detailed map outlines when viewing areas that are not installed (in a partial install).

Changed to notify the user what invalid data is received from a GPS, so that the user can correct or remove this data on the GPS.

Changed the SI unit for speed from “kph” to “km/h”.

Changed the splash window (shown at program startup) to be displayed on the same monitor that the program will be displayed on, in multi-monitor configurations.

Changed the product info dialog to be resizable.

Changed contour lines with no elevation data to display the string “Contour Line” instead of “Invalid Elevation”.

Fixed an issue where a user’s data selection on the map was not visible in the user data list.

Fixed an issue with a track segment selection being displayed after the track dialog was dismissed.

Fixed issue with removing the last track point in the Track dialog.

Fixed an issue with driving directions for routes that take a series of unnamed roads.

Fixed an issue with certain key-stroke combinations in the track dialog.

Fixed an issue with selecting the wrong track segment on the map when many track segments are close together.

Fixed an issue where a selected track point was obscured by the scroll bar in the track dialog.

Fixed a drawing artifact that could be caused when displaying a context menu over user data.

Fixed an issue where addresses in multi-language products where not found when city names were in certain languages.

Fixed an issue with creating a waypoint on certain map features when the map’s language is not the same as the computer’s language setting.

Fixed issue with the UTC offset not being remembered properly in the Tide Prediction Dialog.

Fixed issue with parking and rest-area labels not showing up properly in some NT maps.

Fixed an issue exporting a GPX file that contained a waypoint with custom symbol 31.

Fixed an issue with sending NT maps to Palm devices.

Fixed 'Find Places' dialog to correctly handle states that occur in multiple countries.

Fixed an issue with the waypoint symbol not being updated on the map when it was changed back to the original symbol in the waypoint dialog.

Fixed an issue with the duplicate street names being shown in popup windows.

Just a warning.....

It looks to me like the latest release has that routing bug that the beta had at first, which made my vacation drive from PA to SC interesting.

I loaded the update, reloaded my Vista C and checked a local route. even with the route set to "faster time" it put me on slow back roads. Instead of the normal highway route. nroute still gets it right though. I'm contacting support now.

Now if they could just ignore the ° symbols when I cut and paste coordinates into the waypoint properties.

I hear you.

A funny thing: Google Maps ingnores the degree symbol, but Google Earth does not! Then again, I haven't downloaded the latest version of G-E.

Just a warning.....

It looks to me like the latest release has that routing bug that the beta had at first, which made my vacation drive from PA to SC interesting.

I loaded the update, reloaded my Vista C and checked a local route. even with the route set to "faster time" it put me on slow back roads. Instead of the normal highway route. nroute still gets it right though. I'm contacting support now.

Well, a quick email to support and the problem was solved.

I don't know how but clearing out some registry settings and reloading my gps solved the problem.

here's what they sent me.

"What I would like to have you try is removing the MapSource settings

from

the Windows registry. It is possible that this issue could be due to a

setting that is set in the Windows registry. Below are some steps you

can

follow to remove these settings:

1) Close out of MapSource

2) Click on your Start button

3) Click on the Run option

4) Delete anything in the small white box, then type in "regedit" -

without

the quotes and then click the OK button

5) On the left hand side you should have a folder called

HKEY_CURRENT_USER,

click the + next to this

6) You should then have a Software folder, click the + next to this

7) You should then have a Garmin folder, click the + next to this

8) You should then have a MapSource folder, click the + next to this

9) You should then have a Settings folder, right click on this folder

and

then left click on the Delete option, say Yes or OK when asked if you

are

sure.

10) Close out of the Registry Editor"

I just tried displying a route on Google Earth that was on my GPSr and it didn't do such a good job.  In G.E. it shows a straight line between the two points.  Anyone else notice this?

Looks Ok to me. Bruce Trail in Southern Ontario.

ac945a6b-e711-4822-b3b0-2ccbdcb8d4fe.jpg

Cheers, Olar

What could I be doing wrong? I create a route in Mapsource and it displays it fine and then I click view in google earth and all I get is a straight line from point a to b

I have a question about updating from an older version.

I've run the updates for 6.9.1, but I cant seem to find many of the features that should be available (ie autoroutes, find adresses, etc). These options are in the help menu of mapsource, but I don't the tabs or options that the instructions speak of.

I'm using the Mapsource Metroguide. Any thoughts?

I just tried displying a route on Google Earth that was on my GPSr and it didn't do such a good job.  In G.E. it shows a straight line between the two points.  Anyone else notice this?

Looks Ok to me. Bruce Trail in Southern Ontario.

ac945a6b-e711-4822-b3b0-2ccbdcb8d4fe.jpg

Cheers, Olar

How do you make this route line so bold? Mine is very very thin.

;) This update has ruined everything. I downloaded the update, installed and rebooted. When I opened mapsource everything seemed fine except one thing..........The Gps tab had disappeared. I cannot connect it now to my Garmin Legend. I uninstalled Mapsource which was working fine before the update and was at the last current update before this one. So I reinstall and now I'm stuck with my version 4.09 and I updated again with now the only one being available, the same one that just messed me up, and it did it again. So reinstall and now I want to get back to the old update before the current one, or find out why and how to fix this current update.
;)  This update has ruined everything.  I downloaded the update, installed and rebooted.  When I opened mapsource everything seemed fine except one thing..........The Gps tab had disappeared.  I cannot connect it now to my Garmin Legend.  I uninstalled Mapsource which was working fine before the update and was at the last current update before this one.  So I reinstall and now I'm stuck with my version 4.09 and I updated again with now the only one being available, the same one that just messed me up, and it did it again.  So reinstall and now I want to get back to the old update before the current one, or find out why and how to fix this current update.

Is your window different then mine. I also downloaded the new version and no problem with connecting my Etrex Legend. There is no GPS tab.

62010276-639f-4091-82d0-03d0661cbe75.jpg

;) hmmm that's exactly what it looked like after the update. But I couldn't see any of the gps info or connect it to the program. I switched to DeLorme software and the gps was and is working correctly. If this is the new look of the updated program, how do I tell the program to connect to the gps? Also where is all the gps info like: compass, speed etc....I'm lost. :(
;) hmmm that's exactly what it looked like after the update. But I couldn't see any of the gps info or connect it to the program. I switched to DeLorme software and the gps was and is working correctly. If this is the new look of the updated program, how do I tell the program to connect to the gps? Also where is all the gps info like: compass, speed etc....I'm lost. :(

Ya, I think I know what your talking about. You must be talking about connecting you GPS to your computer and using your PC to see where your going. If that is so, it's not in mapsource no more. You have to go on Garmin web site and get nroute It's free and this is what has replaced the GPS tab in mapsource.

;) Thanks. I hardly ever visit their site, obviously. So, I downloaded the Nroute program you linked and it works great. It's going to take time to figure out the new tabs and importing waypoints and all, but why now would I ever use the Mapsource program, since i'm only using it when out on the road? Thanks again for the help. Edited by southernx
How do you make this route line so bold? Mine is very very thin.

When you are in GE, and have your Route displayed, Right Click on the Route/Edit/Check in the Advanced box/ then under the Style/Lines tab, you can change the Color, Width, and Opacity of your route.

I did as you told. I can change the color and the opacity of the line. Now about the width, by default, it is 1.0 pixels. if I change to a bigger number say 3, 4 or teh line does no change in width on the map. Not sure what is going wrong <_<

Someone also having this issue?

I did as you told. I can change the color and the opacity of the line. Now about the width, by default, it is 1.0 pixels. if I change to a bigger number say 3, 4 or teh line does no change in width on the map. Not sure what is going wrong <_<

Someone also having this issue?

I just tried one of my GPS routes, where I went under the PATH layer of it, and I can change the width just fine. My route was created in MapSource on my desktop to plan a trip then, saved as a .gpx file. Maybe go to Help/Check for Updates Online, to see if a newer beta version will help. The current is v.3.0.0762.0.

How do I get mapsource??? I want to cache along a route using GSAK and was told I needed mapsource. I do not have a gps that connects to anything (explorist 100) so will it still work for me??

Here is the link to get mapsource

http://www.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

But, if your GPS does not connect to your computer, you wont be able to download anything in it.

Edited by Nomades
How do I get mapsource??? I want to cache along a route using GSAK and was told I needed mapsource. I do not have a gps that connects to anything (explorist 100) so will it still work for me??

You need some way to put together a series of coordinates for your route for entry into GSAK's filters.

MapSource is one fairly easy way to get the list of coordinates set up, but you have to purchase Mapsource with an appropriate mapset from Garmin or one of their dealers, and it's not an insignificant cost.

You can manually determine coordinates if the route you are following has fairly straight segments or if your allowance for distance from the planned route is fairly large.

As far as getting coordinates along your route, you can get them (close enough anyway) at various points along major highways from some paper maps.

Or you can use something like google earth to set up a route and note major turns from the coordinates shown at the bottom of the window as you move your cursor around. There may even be a way to export a route from google earth as a set of coordinates in a format suitable for import to gsak, but I don't know of it.

Hope that helps a little.

Jon

You can download the latest version of Garmin's MapSource free right Here, but you will not have ANY mapping so it would be rendered useless unless you purchased a Garmin mapping product, such as US Topo. You may find that on eBay for example for around $80. Or, if you know someone you could borrow their Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager software that came with their GPS purchase. But that would give you only a very basic network of major roadways, not very useful in my opinion. Doesn't your Magellan explorist 100 come with any such mapping program? I am not familiar at all with the units from "the darkside".

Doesn't your Magellan explorist 100 come with any such mapping program? I am not familiar at all with the units from "the darkside".

No it just came with itself. I guess it is a GPSr dinosaur....ok so it looks like mapsource is out, too costly. <_<

Does anyone know if MS Street & Trips works with GSAK? I can afford the $30 for that. Or better yet how about some free online mapping like MapQuest or AAA maps?

Who know it would be so hard to find all the caches from Macon, GA to Chattanooga, TN?!?! <_<

Does anyone know if MS Street & Trips works with GSAK? I can afford the $30 for that.

Yes the new beta version of GSAK can read route points from S&T files and use them to filter for caches along a route.

Edit to add

Edited by PDOP's
I just tried one of my GPS routes, where I went under the PATH layer of it, and I can change the width just fine. My route was created in MapSource on my desktop to plan a trip then, saved as a .gpx file. Maybe go to Help/Check for Updates Online, to see if a newer beta version will help. The current is v.3.0.0762.0.

I upgraded to the latest beta of GE. But still having same issue :D . I might check on some other computor.

Now what happened is that before I try to uninstall and reinstall the GE and thought to check if the problem is there if I use DirectX mode and OpenGL mode. First I tried with DirectX and the problem was there then I switched to OpenGL and the problem is gone. Saved me the trouble to uninstall and reinstall teh GE :mmraspberry: