Log Visits To Your Own Cache?

minnesotaCUKES

When checking your own placed caches, do you experienced types generally log each visit as a find? I'm not even sure the system will let me do that, but I didn't want to try in case this was considered cheating...

What about other people's caches you visit multiple times? If allowed, it seems like an easy way (too easy) to rack up a lot of finds -- just want to know what the general practice is.

Thanks.

Yes, the system will allow you to do that, logging as many finds as you like, but no, the practice of logging finds on your own cache is not generally accepted (for obvious reasons), and most cache owners do not do file finds for their own caches, although there are a few cachers (!!!) who do seem to do just that (there have been a few past threads discussing this odd pheonomenon, in fact)! We do what most folks do: when we visit our caches, we either do not log anything at all on the cache listing page, or, if we did something interesting at the cache (left a travel bug, took a trade item, left more trade items, or encountered space aliens at the cache site) then we log a note entry for the cache.

Generally speaking, it is considered in poor form to log a find on your own cache.

However, as with just about everything in geocaching, every situation is different. My latest hide is one where I actually have to "find" my own cache... I could see a cache such as this one where an owner may log a "find." However, I will refrain from doing that...

Thanks, all!  Pretty much what I figured -- I'm just dumbfounded at the number of finds some of you guys have!

You shouldn't be. Some of us are fortunate enough to live in areas with high cache density.

As others have said, it's silly and ridiculous to log a find on your own cache, even if it got moved and you had to find it again. No one will stop you from doing that, of course, so it becomes a character test for all to see since that information is public. <_<

I have a find one of my caches only because I found it then adopted it a couple of months later. Other than that kind of scenario, I can't see logging a find on your own cache.

Generally, I agree with you. Then again, think outside the box. There may indeed be situations where an owner could log a find on their cache. While I will never do that, I have logged a DNF on my own active cache!

My point is: As the sport evolves, never say "never."

I have a find one of my caches only because I found it then adopted it a couple of months later. Other than that kind of scenario, I can't see logging a find on your own cache.

I just realized that I have one like that also. I did the cache last year, and then recently adopted the cache. Anyone reading the cache page would be able to figure that out, though.

I also think that logging your own cache is not normally a thing that is proper. However I have been tempted to log my own because of a situation that came up with an area cacher. Before I became a paperless cacher I had a printout of this cache on hand and found a cache using this printout. In the meantime I did not know the cache owner was in a disagreement with a reviewer and had moved all of his caches to another site. When I logged the cache my find was deleted and I was asked to log it at the other site. My thought has been to log the find on my own cache with an explanation and a link to the archived cache page. What about this scenario? Would this be a legitimate reason to log my own cache since I had a legitimate find using a former GC listing? <_<

I own The Nebraska Delorme Challenge cache and I may eventually log it myself, if I ever qualify, :anitongue: but not before a number of others have logged it first.

A Delorme challenge is a whole different thing. :P I'd think that'd be pretty wide open to whoever could get that critter! :P I just wish I had that kind of time and resources (of course a Delorme covering Texas would be pretty huge). :anitongue: Hmmm - maybe Delorme need their own icon! :anibad:

I have a find one of my caches only because I found it then adopted it a couple of months later.  Other than that kind of scenario, I can't see logging a find on your own cache.

Generally, I agree with you. Then again, think outside the box. There may indeed be situations where an owner could log a find on their cache. While I will never do that, I have logged a DNF on my own active cache!

My point is: As the sport evolves, never say "never."

Oh sure, you can bet there will be exceptions. There are to pretty much every rule. And then, of course, there's the facet to this that makes this game so great. Everyone can play it their own way. :anitongue: So bottom line - do what YOU think is right.

I own The Nebraska Delorme Challenge cache and I may eventually log it myself, if I ever qualify,  :D  but not before a number of others have logged it first.

A Delorme challenge is a whole different thing. :D I'd think that'd be pretty wide open to whoever could get that critter! :D I just wish I had that kind of time and resources (of course a Delorme covering Texas would be pretty huge). :D Hmmm - maybe Delorme need their own icon! :D

An Icon for Delorme challenges. I'll second that. I'd like to see one for every state although I'll do well to get my own state completed. :D The Texas Delorme atlas has only 65 map pages. Of course there *is* a bit of distance involved. :D

I set up the Nebraska Delorme so that people can sign it twice. Once for a list that retroactively included any cache they have ever found or placed and again with only caches (different ones than the first list) found or place after the date the Nebraska Delorme was published.

Dive Princess and I own nearly a dozen caches, and though we are both listed as owners of the caches, she does not receive an icon indicating that she shares ownership of and responsibility for the caches.

As a result, the only way she is able to gain an icon for the caches is to log them as "finds."

Hopefully the owner stats will eventually evolve to include dual hyperlinks and dual owner icons.

I have a find one of my caches only because I found it then adopted it a couple of months later.  Other than that kind of scenario, I can't see logging a find on your own cache.

I just realized that I have one like that also. I did the cache last year, and then recently adopted the cache. Anyone reading the cache page would be able to figure that out, though.

I had one of those, and one where I logged a find AFTER I became the owner. Basically, he had disabled the one I had found saying he was getting ready to move. I didn't want to see the cache go away, so I asked him if I could adopt it. Then, he asked me if I could adopt his other cache that I hadn't found yet. I did, and the first time I went to see it, I logged it as a find, since it truly was one (especially since we hiked an extra mile to get to it! :o )

It's funny I had been reading the thread lately. Someone noted a problem with one of my caches over the weekend. He moved it to a new location to protect it and emailed me the new coords. I don't think I would have bothered logging a find, except for a few comments here. But since I had to go find the cache to fix the problem with it and it had been moved to an entirely different area, I went ahead and logged a find.

Dive Princess and I own nearly a dozen caches, and though we are both listed as owners of the caches, she does not receive an icon indicating that she shares ownership of and responsibility for the caches.

You can include her name in the "hidden by" field when submitting the cache. If I hide a cache with Skigirl (my wife) that's how we handle it.

And since she does hunt for caches that I've hidden on my own and her memory is terrible (other than that time 12 years ago I came home 3 am, drunk and smelling like perfume) it helps her weed out the caches she helped hide so she doesn't look for them.

Hi,

I think its cheating indeed, if I could log all my maintenance checks on my caches. I would do pretty well.

I do know of cacher over here that 22% of there finds are there own caches. I don't think this is right or should even be allowed on the web site.

I can imagine what happened, this is a great place for a cache (places cache), turns around.

Now where is that cache? Ahhh there it is another find for me.

Maybe he doesn't know the rules, I might email him. But he's been in this game for longer than me.

I do log my own event caches, I think that's OK because I did attend :anitongue: .

See ya...Gary