Caching Through The Snow Too

Team Rampant Lion

The second Caching Through The Snow Event is planned for Saturday, December 10th.

I currently have the time posted for 5:30 PM but may adjust that to a lunchtime event followed by afternoon caching as evenings are tougher for the folks at Kroghs to accomodate. Let me know if this switch would be an issue - otherwise I will go with their flow.

I will work to have a new series of caches out to make it worthwhile for you who make the trip. I'll likely target a revised Whittingham series as the bears ate all my previous ones. But those who have been there can attest to the great location.

For you coin nuts, I may have one or two coins available for sale (TRL Bearbait & Caching Through The Snow Too Event coin). These will only be made available to attendees and very limited quantity.

Hope to see you there! :rolleyes:

I'm going to really try to make this. I haven't been able to focus on caching do to a move in two weeks but hopefully thing will settle down by then. Hope to see you all there!!

P.S. Hope your all ready to do more caching near High Bridge, NJ. That's where I'm moving and the the cache density is pretty low out there... for now anyway.

How many of you who are planning to come to the event can still make it if the event was moved to SUNDAY, DECEMBER 11th.

I have become aware that the Black Bear Hunt is approved and scheduled to start December 5th meaning a lot of potential places (WMAs) for a group hike will be good places to stay away from on December 10th. Sunday is typically off limits for hunting.

Please let me know.

It's Official! The event has been moved to Sunday, December 11th at lunchtime. This was the clear preference of both participants and Kroghs.

For those who are interested, I will try to repopulate a few areas so that we can have a challenging group hike in the AM. Go to the event. And have a lighter series in the PM. What the Forums for posts on that update.

UGH!!!! I moved closer to spend more time with TRL, but the wife requires that I visit her family in Massachusetts on that weekend. Unless TRL will marry me instead, I guess I have to go to her family Christmas party instead. I am pretty bummed. <_<

I won't marry anyone who does not know how to iron my jelly donut underwear that attracts the bears. <_<

We are going to miss you joining us. I placed a number of new caches out in Sparta Mountain WMA for a group hike Sunday morning including this challenge. They certainly will be around following the event but would be more fun in numbers.

Saturday? Sunday?

Lunchtime? Dinnertime?

Here, there... we will be there... just tell us where to show up and when! ;)

Event: Sunday, December 11th - lunchtime (noon - 2:00 PM) Gather for lunch, coin swapping, stories of the AM hunt (hopefully bear stories) and general holiday cheer. :huh:

AM Group Hike: Sparta Mountain WMA - Meet at the Edison statue at 8:00 AM. At least 4 new caches already placed. Will encourage a few other cachers to add a new one or two as well.

PM Activity: TBD, still working on options. Looking to be kid-friendly and close to Krogh's (event site).

joe and i would like to come with molly for at least the morning hike. if we bring her, we won't be able to make it to the luncheon. can't leave her in the cold jeep for 2 hours! we'll probably make a final decision the night before...

i grabbed a geocoin this morning form a cache in the Sourlands - ready to swap!

The AM hike is going to be great! Treequest and Woodlit joined me today to help reseed the area and there will be at least 8 new, challenging caches to be had. These are a super set of caches. Our biggest challenge will be to see if we can complete them all in under 4 hours and get to Kroghs for the event.

One advisement, if you have walking sticks or treking poles, I suggest you bring them. I ended up on my behind several times with the loose leaves today. If we have a bit of snow it will be a real challenge.

Looking forward to a great day. For you diehards, there may be the potential for you to go home with 15-20 smilies!

The AM hike is going to be great! Treequest and Woodlit joined me today to help reseed the area and there will be at least 8 new, challenging caches to be had. These are a super set of caches. Our biggest challenge will be to see if we can complete them all in under 4 hours and get to Kroghs for the event.

One advisement, if you have walking sticks or treking poles, I suggest you bring them. I ended up on my behind several times with the loose leaves today. If we have a bit of snow it will be a real challenge.

Looking forward to a great day. For you diehards, there may be the potential for you to go home with 15-20 smilies!

Thanks guys....Your efforts are appreciated!!!

A few of you have been asking for the schedule of activities for the day. Here they are:

8:00 AM Sparta Mountain WMA Group Hunt

A hike around the lake area with lots of challenging caches to be had. This will be approximately a 3.5 - 4 hour circuit. Terrain is challenging usually and increased with the loose leaves on top. Not necessarily a kid-friendly hike unless they are pretty hearty. Use the coordinates for this cache for the parking. This is a small parking area so I'm sure we will overflow quickly.

12:00 (noon) Caching Through The Snow Too at Kroghs in Sparta, NJ

This is the actual event (you have no obligations to the before or after activities to attend). Come celebrate the season with other regional cachers, we will swap a few coins and share a few stories. If you haven't been to Kroghs before, you will love it. The building is on the National Historic Register, is located on beautiful Lake Mohawk and makes its own beer on site (rated one of the tops in the NE). We'll be here until 2:00 PM (maybe 3:00 PM, maybe 4:00 PM,...).

After the event, I will have placed a few caches around town for you to try including a special holiday themed cache for fun. Stay and play as long as you like.

It would not be unreasonable to go home with 15-20 smilies for the day! :huh:

SNOW...........................check (about 10" so far)

Caches..........................check (2 approved, 11 awaiting approval)

Buttons..........................check (couldn't let JoiseyGirl down)

Coins.............................check (look great!)

Kroghs reservation..........check (about 50 of us confirmed)

This is going to be a great party!! Looking forward to seeing everyone. :lol:

PS - Check back to see the status of the cache approvals to enter coordinates before you head out.

Don"t see the new caches for Sunday morning?Are we in the wrong site?Want them in the GPS before we start, Help :(

My Bad! :(

Thought I was being so clever to ask the GC approvers for a hold until December 10th so that FTFs could happen with the group.

Anyway, aim for this cache for parking coordinates for the 8:00 AM hike. It is a very small lot so park carefully if you are one of the cars caught beyond the perimeter of the lot.

I believe there are a total of 8 new caches placed along the hike path. If you have not been back here before there are many others along the route. The approved new caches include:

TomE's Drop Spot

Tom's Invention Spot

Evil Little Man, Deep In The Woods although I don't expect this to be doable as the snow is still deep.

My other ones not yet approved (hopefully tonight) include:

Bearbait N 41° 04.009 W 074° 33.813

Bounce! N 41° 04.331 W 074° 33.584

Jack's Trail Marker N 41° 04.658 W 074° 33.329

Treequest and Woodlit also have caches not yet approved. I gave them my brilliant idea for holding so they are in the same boat as me I expect.

We'll have about 3 hours to cache to allow enough time to drive over to Kroghs (about 15 minutes away) for the event. Many of you will remember that there is limited parking in that area as well. So use this cache coordinates to lead you toward a larger parking area. It is about 200 feet further west on your right.

Remember to bring your coin payments if you pre-ordered coins as I will have them with me. Also remember your voting sheets for the NNJC Awards. Looking forward to seeing everyone. B)

I am very sorry to say that I will not be there tomorrow. One of my two dogs is seriously ill (we just spent several hours at the hospital doing all kinds of test - including ultrasound etc.) and I don't want him to be alone that long. I will truly miss the event...

I'll be thinking of you and praying for your friend both now, tomorrow, and until health returns.