Sock Puppet

There are some more justifiable reasons to have a sock-puppet account. For example, non-premium members are limited to 100 caches on their watch-lists. Add a duplicate account and you double that number.

SP

Not just for watch-lists, Paul. They can be very useful for doubling your PQ allowance too.

Edited by Pharisee
would anyone want more than 100 caches on their watchlist? we used to have about 50 or so, until i got cheesed off with the constant e-mails! I tend to use it for very few things now, and more often for TBs!

What do other people use the watchlist for (Outrageous and unsubtle thead-jacking, sorry!) :P

Check this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=109723

With regard to the PQ and Watchlist argument - the account holder will still have to fork out for membership and therefore be 'genuine'. I am more concerned with those people who create these accounts for more dubious, conniving, underhand deceptive reasons:

Unnecessary criticism of cachers / caches

to name one.

I understand that there may be a justifiable reason - at the time - to purport in setting up a cache which may be part of an elaborate gag, however, if this was so, it is or could be non-subjective and therefore affect those not involved in the gag.

Has anyone ever had negative dealings with such an account/cacher?

I believe the Hayward Hornet has a sock puppet account that gets used for all sorts of nefarious dealings...  :P  :o  :D

Are you sure :P:P , I Think you mean The Hornet :P (Not that I am inferring that either The Hornet or The Haywood Hornet are good or bad :D:P )

I have never need a sock puppet account, I have managed to annoy, upset and offend many people by using my real account at all times :D:D

Edited by Deego

Odd that aint it? Just writing an email about sock puppets and the fact we think there is a new one in Edinburgh, possibly malign?

I guess time will tell?

Funnily enough the last sock puppet in Edinburgh, changed their name and then stopped caching, when the suspected person was questioned outright. Of course extreme denial happened, but we know different :P:P

With regard to the PQ and Watchlist argument - the account holder will still have to fork out for membership and therefore be 'genuine'.

Nope Sensei, members get a 100-cache watchlist allowance. 'Two' members get 200. Premium members have unlimited watchlist, so need only pay-up the once. Unfamiliar as I am about PQs, if John says a sock-puppet account is useful, I don't doubt him.

I suspect I know where you're going with this, and the events, logs and emails of the last few days are stopping me from following, lol!

OsS(P)!

Edit to add a missing e.

Edited by Simply Paul
Odd that aint it? Just writing an email about sock puppets and the fact we think there is a new one in Edinburgh, possibly malign?

I guess time will tell?

Funnily enough the last sock puppet in Edinburgh, changed their name and then stopped caching, when the suspected person was questioned outright. Of course extreme denial happened, but we know different :bad::D

Hum. I thought I'd guessed who you meant, but I seem to be wrong :D

Nope Sensi (edit:Sensei), members get a 100-cache watchlist allowance. 'Two' members get 200. Premium members have unlimited watchlist, so need only pay-up the once. Unfamiliar as I am about PQs, if John says a sock-puppet account is useful, I don't doubt him.

I suspect I know where you're going with this, and the events, logs and emails of the last few days are stopping me from following, lol!

OsS(P)!

Yes Paul, I agree with you in respect of the watchlist but not the PQ's. To get more you would have to pay for another membership.

Oss!

What do other people use the watchlist for (Outrageous and unsubtle thead-jacking, sorry!) :D

He he, I shall join in the thread-jacking. :)

My main use for the watchlist is to see if new cachers are active locally. Although since I own half the caches within a 20-mile radius, they usually do some of mine fairly early on. But this way I can send them creepy "HI! WELCOME!" mails after their very first find (or DNF). Bwahahahaha.

I also put my DNFs on the watchlist. At least, until a couple of people have logged "nice easy find, took me 10 seconds". Then I just get angry.