Ape Cache

Nerves

Don't give up hope yet. :P

I'm still on the 'more than 50% chance of going' side of the fence. But as Recdiver said in the other thread, we don't walk real rast (his knees and my knee and sometimes foot), so if you're willing to take a nice leasurely walk, I'm sure we're there.

PM saying the same thing is on the way. :P

Sounds fine. I'll be visiting friends the morning of the 10th in Federal Way. I figure the starting point for the caches is about an hour's drive or more. What about meeting around 11 a.m.? Would that be good? I might be able to make it sooner - like 10 a.m. if that's better.

Also, check out this post:

if you all do go after the APE cache, I hope you'll not only get the caches at the east end of the tunnel (Iron Horse (east)), the west end of the tunnel (Iron Horse), but also the two placed in the tunnel - Bloody Fingers, Birty Diapers - and my relatively new cache, only found by two cachers - Old Bald Bison. Good luck and enjoy! ps - the walk heading west is a lot chillier than the return trip east through the tunnel (at least both times I went).

peace, fishiam

Yep, I saw that. I'm planning on getting them all. In fact, I've already agreed to replace the log in Iron Horse (East) for lucyand rickie.

I didn't know about the new one inside the tunnel until that post, so that's kind of neat. There are also others close that we can drive to and we'll see how that goes.

As for the time, earlier would definitely be better. It's going to take at least 2 hours (I assume) just doing the walk both ways. So if we could meet at 10am, that would get us to the parking lot about 11am. If you really want to meet later, we'll probably still have time, so what ever works best for you.

This cache of nolenator's is located at the Preston Park and Ride:

Usual Meeting Spot

On another note, I have a USA geocoin in my inventory that wants to visit the APE cache. Any chance I can get it to one of you to take on this outing?

Thanks Moun10Bike.

I don't know where you're located but am willing to meet you and take your Gocoin to the APE cache. I have a bunch of New England and European bugs to drop there as well. :unsure: I can meet you in Federal Way Sat or somewhere on the way to the APE cache on Sun.

Don't know which is the better way to I 90 from Federal Way. Would it be I 5, 167 or 18? Can someone give me an idea?

If I take 5 or 167 then we could meet at Usual Meeting Spot.

So, what's really going on?

W/O carefully pouring over every word in this thread it looks like there are two days mentioned:

Monday the 10th (first post in the thread)

Sunday the 9th (third post in the thread)

Also, if one was coming from the south, and not inclined to meet everyone at the P&R because they might be getting on i90 where 18 meets up... parking at the top of the mountain for this gem is... where?

I'll look for more info in a bit.

After getting to the APE cache, the coin's goal is up in the air. The TB description says, "The mission for this coin is to make it to the Mission 9 Tunnel of light Project A.P.E. geocache and from there, well, whever the wind might take me."

I feel badly for having had it in my hands for over a month, but at least it will be making it to its destination soon!

Oh no...we may actually get to meet the C-Gal?!?! How cool is that! :lol:

Best bring some sort of protection. The rumor is that I'm a real b**** and have been known to consume cachers for lunch on a somewhat frequent basis.

:lol:

Seriously tho, Anon talked me into it. If I can justify losing a whole day of studying for an exam to hie myself off to parts unknown, AND it's not raining overmuch, I'll be there with a few Trolls in tow.

They wouldn't miss finding another APE for the world! (Ignore them if they complain!)

I'll pack some waterproof boots. How cold does it get in those parts? - meaning - the mountain area we're going to :lol:

Darn, thought I'd meet Moun10Bike!

I'd bring warm boots, waterproof is up to you, and layers of clothing. It gets cold at night, and the wind may be pretty good even in the tunnel, but it should be mid 40's outside.

As for M10B, maybe if you promise to have treats (candy, pastries, geocoins, etc) at the park & ride where we meet, you could entice him there as well... :lol:

I'll pack some waterproof boots. How cold does it get in those parts? - meaning - the mountain area we're going to :lol:

Pass temps today were forecast in the high 40's. Remember this pass is only 3000 feet. It will be rather cool in the tunnel with the normal wind blowing. Most of the time that wind blows west to east so it will feel colder westbound. There is no reason to believe that the temperatures will cool down much more than today's forecast before Sunday. I was up at Stevens Pass yesterday and it was quite comfortable.

So, is anyone wanting to take a picnic lunch along and eat at the half way point before coming back?...or should we not bother?

Do we want hot water for Chocolate or coffee in a thermos for the cold people?

Anon...I don't know where you are...do you have, or are you arranging, a ride to the meeting spot?

I'll pack some waterproof boots. How cold does it get in those parts? - meaning - the mountain area we're going to :ph34r:

Pass temps today were forecast in the high 40's. Remember this pass is only 3000 feet. It will be rather cool in the tunnel with the normal wind blowing. Most of the time that wind blows west to east so it will feel colder westbound. There is no reason to believe that the temperatures will cool down much more than today's forecast before Sunday. I was up at Stevens Pass yesterday and it was quite comfortable.

Quite comfortable for YOU.

I've been freezing my bum off since... August 27th!

Brr!

I'm probably going to bring a sandwich and a drink. Can't go more than a few hours without eating or I might get cranky :ph34r:

I keep thinking it's going to be real cold at the Pass.

You guys will laugh when I tell you the highest peak in RI is 800 feet. :lol: No, I'm not a native Rhode Islander...at one time I lived in Washington too.

So, we're meeting at the Park and Ride, right?

I'm probably going to bring a sandwich and a drink. Can't go more than a few hours without eating or I might get cranky :ph34r:

I keep thinking it's going to be real cold at the Pass.

You guys will laugh when I tell you the highest peak in RI is 800 feet. :lol: No, I'm not a native Rhode Islander...at one time I lived in Washington too.

So, we're meeting at the Park and Ride, right?

I've also been to the eastern side of the country and I've seen what they call 'mountains'... :D

It's only October...it's not cold yet...don't worry...

Yes, meeting at the Preston park and ride at Nolenator's cache.