Tools Of The Trade

Hello again,

I have had my Garmin GPSmap60C for a while now. Found a few caches the hard way. :(

That is, downloading .LOC files and saving waypoints direct to GPS.

Then printing off the clues and previous logged visits to assist with clues etc.

A lot of paper and ink used, and generally those printouts have been left at home when the GPS is in car or I am on my work motorcycle. (GPS is velcro'ed on tank) :(

I found a couple whilst riding just by going to the co-ordinates and simply using my god-given eyes to find the cache.

The problem is that I have gone to a few cache waypoints on the GPS armed with nothing else than that, and not finding anything.

So knowing that quite a few cache's require further work, and clues/hints, I have ordered a HP iPAQ hx4700 series PDA.

Should be delivered tomorrow.

My QUESTION is this - other than paying to become a Premium member in this community to get and download .GPX files, what else do I need??

I think I read somewhere about a Geocaching program or similar, but not sure about that.

I am using MapSource Navigator - but have also read many comments about the Swiss Army Knife Caching program. I have not downloaded that as yet, as I get the impression it is a little daunting.

I know these questions may have been posted previously, so send me the link if that is the case.

Otherwise, tell me what else I need to obtain, purchase, download - so that I can get all the info onto my PDA so I am not stuck out in the scrub looking for something that may or may not be there.

Thanks a lot to all that read this,

Shrek :(

We have a 60C and a Dell Axim which is a PPC like the IPAQ. We use GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) to get the .gpx file from the Pocket Queries you wil be able to get as a premium member. We then use GPXSonar on the PDA to read and manipulate the .gpx file. It is everything we need to avoid carrying around a lot of paper.

We have 2 60C units and a Palm Tungsten E. We download Pocket Querires as Premium Members, and use Smittyware Cachemate and Garmin MapSource. That's all we currently use .... but will be looking at GSAK in the future.

Sometimes we use Topozone or Googlemaps and just recently lostoutdoors.com for a good look at unfamiliar areas. :huh: ImpalaBob

After my Wife, the most important cache tool I always take costs less than $1 - Peanut M&Ms. Here are a few reason I always carry the small bright yellow bag of chocolate candies

Quick Protein for those long uphill hikes

Quick Sugar (no explanation needed)

Bribe for anyone who challanges your navigational prowess

Diversion for small furry critters who pose a hazard to health or life (you have to carefully suck the chocolate off for this one)

Emergency Ammunition (thrown or slingshot)

Temporary trail markers (color coding system is up to you)

Ear plugs (temporary, not advised unless dire emergency)

Wrapper can be used as:

Emergency writting material (logs, coords, etc)

Extreme Emergency TP substitute

Trail marking if tied to bush or tree branch

Signaling for aircraft (if held up above head in clearing during daylight)

We have a 60C and a Dell Axim which is a PPC like the IPAQ.  We use GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) to get the .gpx file from the Pocket Queries you wil be able to get as a premium member.  We then use GPXSonar on the PDA to read and manipulate the .gpx file.  It is everything we need to avoid carrying around a lot of paper.

We haven't found the need for GPXSonar

We use a HP IPAQ with GSAK. All we do is export the files as HTML from GSAK, put the PDA into the sync cradle, and all the cache pages and photos (if you want them) are in the PDA and readable from Internet Explorer. Very simple and no other programs are needed. Whole process for 200 plus pages takes less than 30 seconds.

One word of wisdom....When you are exporting the HTML, do not have the PDA in the sync cradle. The graphics (photos, stars, etc.) get garbled.

Downside of HP IPAQ....Fast processor=short battery life.

Edited by Grey Wolf and Wild Rice

Hey shrek & fiona....

What you described is exactly how I do 90% of my caching. Yeah, makes it harder when you have no idea what you're looking for, but kinda adds to the challenge, too. Around here, the description sometimes makes the hide too easy, but I've had to DNF a couple and go home and look at the page before I search it again.

That being said, I do have an older pda back at my parents' house that I might try and see if it will work for me (old handspring visor, running palm OS)

Shrek - I have an iPAQ 3850 with a Navman GPS sleeve. The software I use for locating the cache is called GPSTuner. Being a premium member, I get the gpx files which are loaded into GPSTuner. I also have MobiPocketReader installed on the iPAQ for reading the .prc files that come along with the weekly .gpx files. That way, I have everything I need (waypoints, cache description and hints) in one unit.

Happy caching!

Chris

I have a Garmin Legend and GSAK, and that's all. That coupled with printouts.

The $30 for GSAK is a one-time fee, not annual. Like Grey Wolf and Wild Rice, I tried it and then paid for it. I love it!

The biggest drawback that I've found is that the .GPX files can only be downloaded one at a time. The .LOC files can be downloaded in bulk. I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend. The GPX files do contain more info than LOC, but how much is really needed. It might be that I'm not as serious about it all as others are. I do caching as an occasional hobby rather than a frequent obsession. Also, if you load a LOC file over a GPX file, the GPX info will be overwritten.

The biggest advantage is that waypoints can be downloaded directly into the GPSr with a cable plugged into a serial port. My laptop doesn't have a serial port! Augh!! I have to transfer the info to my wife's GSAK and then download to the GPSr with her computer.

Hint: when you download either LOC or GPX files, when you get the "open with" window, choose GSAK and they will automatically go into the database.

SInce no one seems to read your OP here is an answer:

My QUESTION is this - other than paying to become a Premium member in this community to get and download .GPX files, what else do I need??

you can copy the webpage, right click and do a save then load it to a laptop or PDA, PPC is my experiance. But this will be a tiedious process. Pay the 3 bucks and get a PPC and load the file to the PPC and then use GPSVIew or GPSSonic to view the file. But if not then do the first process.

cheers

Ive been lurking around here for about a year and just this month actually joined the site and started Geocaching. Im 0 for 2 on my first two tries.

BUT, I had a laptop and a Garmin Legend so I went out and purchased a PALM Tungsten E and I use GSAK on my computer and CACHEMATE on my PALM and thats all. Its quick and easy.

Since im just starting out and trying to get the hang of things I print out maps from the GEOCAHCING but once I get the hang of things and a good system down I plan on going completely paperless.

J

We also have a 60CS and an IPaq. Spinner and Easygps are what we have been using and they work very well together.

Spinner is very easy to use and it outputs PDA and Easygps files.

Primary cache finding tools:

1. gpsr coords

2. cache page description

3. on-site logic and intuition (where would a cacher hide this cache?)

4. previous finder's or did-not-finder's subtle hints

4. cache page encoded hint

Sometimes all you have is 1 and 3 and even then 1 might not be working all that well.

Continuing.......

I am not sure what software the iPAQ 4700 comes installed with??

Got it today, but dont ya love ebay purchases, it came with a power adaptor for a country other than mine!! Waiting to hear back from the guy to see what he can do for me.

Until then, I cannot even charge the thing.

Does the regular software on these PDA's allow me to view the .GPX files??

I think I will give GSAK a go, but does it need to be installed on the computer, on the PDA or BOTH??

Several people have mentioned several different types of software for managing .GPX files.

Again, does this software need to be installed on BOTH the computer AND the PDA or what?

I have joined up to be Premium member, so getting the .GPX files wont be an issue now.

I am not a hunter/killer Indiana Jones type that does this everyday, but given that I travel a lot with work, having the PDA filled with info on the caches makes it a little easier when I am hundreds of miles from home.

Oh, one last thing. I have downloaded and transferred the .LOC files to my GPSr and it obviously shows the cache (waypoints).

Does downloading and transferring .GPX files overwrite these old caches?

Should I delete all those cache waypoints first, before playing around with the new stuff?

Thanks again.

Shrek - I can't tell you much about most of the software others have mentioned but I can tell you that, with GPSTuner, you can't really 'view' the .gpx file but you load them into a database and, just like your GPSr, you then set a waypoint as a 'target' and follow the arrow.... Check out the web site... www.gpstuner.com. There are some good screen shots on there that might clarify what I'm trying to explain.

Check out MobiPocket at http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/...ReaderStep1.asp. There's a download for the 'free standard version' that works well with the .prc file included with your .gpx file.

GPSTuner is installed only on the PPC and Mobi Pocket Reader is installed on both my iPaq and the PC although I only use the the iPaq version.

When looking for a paperless solution myself I was overwhelmed but am happy with the way things are working now.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Let's see.... a shovel for those buried caches, wire cutters/bolt cutters to get into the night caches hidden in school playgrounds, an ammo can repainted with the letters 'TNT' or 'C4' on the side with a windup clock inside, some camo for those stealth hides in the national parks.....and have you picked up the bronze statues of Jeremy to put on your mantle, your desk at work, above your bed, etc.?

....and for those that haven't figured it out yet, I'm kidding. Don't do ANY of that. Well, except maybe the statues of Jeremy :rolleyes:

Edited by dkwolf

Get GSAK. Now. You won't regret it.

It can be daunting, but there are a LOT of folks here who are more than willing to walk you through everything you need to make it hum along just fine. I would reccommend that you do a search of previous threads about any questions you may have about it, as most new users have had them answered already.

Oh, and pay for it, if there is any room at all in your budget.

Thanks everyone. Some of your comments really make me laugh.

Am now premium member, and have twiddled with GSAK.

Pretty extreme program to get a grip on - but I guess over time, it will be useful.

Nobody has stated whether using GSAK, downloading .GPX files and then transferring to GPSr.........whether the new action will overwrite the old cache waypoints initially downloaded as .LOC files??

Do I delete all the old stuff first, before doing this?

And when you are looking at lets say all the caches in your home state for example, I can "check all" and download, but they are simple .LOC files.

I have opened an individual Cache, and downloaded the .GPX file, which does obviously show a lot more detail (using GSAK).

But sure you dont need to open each and every cache to get the .GPX file.

Is there some way you can CHECK ALL and get a bunch of em all at once??

Ta,

The Big Green Fella

But sure you dont need to open each and every cache to get the .GPX file.

Is there some way you can CHECK ALL and get a bunch of em all at once??

Yes...do a pocket query, which can be reached from your account page.

You build a query that can be general or quite specific. New caches only, micro and regular, certain terrain or difficulty ratings, etc etc etc. You then get a ZIP file with a GPX file for all the caches that meet the criteria you set up. And you can have this emailed on a regular periodic basis.

I plan on using the GPX files for when I am on the road (and know where I am going) so I have the cache listings on my laptop, since I won't have a printer available toprint them out.

We never bring the cache page, and many people who I have cached with think I'm crazy and don't know what I'm getting into, but we've not once regretted not bringing it.

Tools? Experience, I feel that we are "seasoned" cachers and with effort can find any cache. Deductive reasoning will help you eliminate possible spots, and enough thought can pinpoint you to the cache.

In the woods, your best "tracking" is by geo-trail. Most of the trails go within 5 feet of the cache, thats a tight circle easy to search from.

After you find 10 caches, you can find 10,000. No tools are needed to geocache. You don't technically need a GPS, you can use map and compass.

Which we have done as well.

Experience, experience, experience.

Work your way up in the "diffuculty" category, don't start on 5's.

Good luck!

I just went paperless myself. Shrek, so this process is still pretty fresh in my mind.

Here's what you do:

Become a Premium Member (you said you had already)

Download GSAK (ditto) This goes on your PC only. You can use it without all the bells and whistles, just simple download and upload steps.

(I'm assuming that your iPaq is Palm-based. If it's a Pocket PC sustem, you'll need different software for it - so disregard what follows.)

Also download Cachemate and buy it. Go here: http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/

Cachemate goes on your PDA only.

Now, the nuts and bolts...

Ceate a pocket query and make sure it comes t you in *.zip format (don't check the eMobile box, it'll screw things up.

When the zip comes, extract it to a folder (I use "My Caches" Clever, huh?)

Have GSAK import the extracted file. All the caches in the pocket query will appear in GSAK. (You might want to change the GSAK defaults to "miles" and set your home coordinates - otherwise all the "Distance From" numbers will be in kilometers from Australia!)

Now export the file TWICE. Once to your PDA and again to your GPS. If you check the "Upload during HotSync" box, the next time you synch your PDA to your PC, it happens automatically.

Done. After a time or two, the whole thing takes only a few minutes. And you'll NEVER use paper again!

Oh, if I left out anything critical, one of the veterans will fill you in, I'm sure.

Thanks RockyRaab, the steps seem simple enough.

I have had a couple of problems with the PDA I bought on EBAY. Seller stated that it was new new new, and I specifically requested a "new in box - unopened" item.

Basically what I received was a refurbished USA model PDA. I went and bought adaptor anyway, but it seemed to get real sluggish 5 mins after taking off charge and I reckon the battery was not working sufficiently. There were also too many wear marks on stubs, corners, and around the stylus. Not happy!!

Sent it back and guy stated he would refund full amount.

As it is, found another (hopefully new) HP iPAQ HX4700 series. Should be getting it next couple of days.

But yes, it comes with Windows Mobile - ie. it is Pocket PC.

So if you say I need different software, do I disregard comment of the CacheMate?

And to the Team that dont use any other info or devices.......all I can say is that for the caches that have clues and bounce you all around the countryside, I havent got the paper and ink nor the carrying capacity on the motorbike to store all those files.

Hence the need to go paperless. If I see a cache on the GPS enroute to a job somewhere, I can check the PDA, see if it is a "direct find on coordinates" type of cache and go and have a look.

I will give the Pocket Query thing a go. The downloading one .GPX file at a time was a pain the a**.

Shrek

I have run a Pocket Query. It only allowed me to select 500.

I performed a search on Traditional caches only, with a limit of 1000km of my home coordinates.

I managed to get them over to GSAK after unzipping.

I have also managed to set my home coordinates in GSAK, so that I get true value of distance from home. At one stage it was saying they were 16000 odd km.

With the price of petrol, and the fact that I would at some stage need to get on an aircraft or ship, this looked absurd.

The problem is that after getting 500 (maximum allowable download), the maximum distance that the last one at bottom of page is only 57km from home.

I have found one about 800km from home. So I know more exist at a greater distance.

As I set the distance at 1000km which puts me at the border of my state, how do I get ALL the caches?

I dont at this stage want to run another Pocket Query on the ones I have already downloaded.

So what do I do now to get the others that I know are out there?

Oh, and in GSAK, the header is IG, and there are four square boxes in a cube. Some are green, grey, red (I think).............what do they represent?

By the way RockyRaab, you mentioned to set default to "miles" otherwise it would show kilometres from Australia.

In fact, I need it to be in kilometres, as I am in the capital city of South Australia.

1000 km to the West, 1000 km to the north and 500 km to the east and I reach the borders of the other states.

I live about 15 km from the coast.

Hence the reason for selecting 1000km as a radius for all traditional caches.

Oh, that's great, Shrek. Didn't know I was speaking to an Ozzian (Ozzinite? Ozzified? LOL!)

An Ozzy.

Marvelous. Some of my best friends, as they say...

And be sure to thank whoever of your countrymen came up with that terrific GSAK program - for all of us.

Forgot to add...

In Pocket PC, you will need something other than CacheMate - sorry, mate. The above-mentioned GPXSonar is the one for the Pocket PC platform. I have no experience with it, as I'm a Palm user.

For your pocket query problem, try running multiple queries. You can center a query on a cache, so what I do is pull up the map function, zoom way out and navigate it to a point out of my home area (in your case, try 100 km away) and then ID the nearby caches. Run a query for the 100 or 200 caches nearest to one of the ones you IDed. Or center it on a Lat/Long number if you know them.

Then pull each separate query into GSAK, save it as a separate database and upload each of them in turn to your GPS. Most will hold a maximum of 500 waypoints.

If you run the queries every week or so, set the search box to "Caches I haven't found" and purge your GPS and PDA of old waypoints when you upload. That way you don't clutter them up with "found" caches you never need to look up again.

Edited by RockyRaab

G'day RockyRaab,

Just dont put the name OSBOURNE after the OZZY.

I may have killed a few brain cells over the years, but not as bad as that dude.

Thanks for explaining how to get further caches, but that sounds like a task where one needs a lot of patience.

I had hoped to simply downloaded all traditional and multi caches in one hit from all of South Australia. I was wrong!!

With all that has been explained to me, I need to clarify a couple of things.

I am using GSAK at present to sort out GPX files from the PocketQuerys as instructed.

sprocketman927 has mentioned using GPSTuner and MobiPocketReader.

You mention GPXSonar. Not having used any of these programs, do they all do the same thing??

Do I understand correctly that GPSTuner, MobiPocketReader, and GPXSonar are all programs that are (or can be) installed on the PocketPC?

Cheers,

Shrek

Thanks. :ph34r:

I got my HP iPAQ HX4700 series PDA today. It is charging in the docking station and I am doing quite a bit at once with it.

Yes, I know I have to read the instructions carefully :laughing:

But how do I get program files to install on the PDA? I have GPXSONAR and MOBIPOCKETREADER to install on it (as downloaded files on my PC)

However when I drag the files over using ActiveSync, they are no longer executable installable programs.

I know it would be simple, but I am keen to get these programs on my PDA.

Shrek

We have a 60C and a Dell Axim which is a PPC like the IPAQ.  We use GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) to get the .gpx file from the Pocket Queries you wil be able to get as a premium member.  We then use GPXSonar on the PDA to read and manipulate the .gpx file.  It is everything we need to avoid carrying around a lot of paper.

We haven't found the need for GPXSonar

We use a HP IPAQ with GSAK. All we do is export the files as HTML from GSAK, put the PDA into the sync cradle, and all the cache pages and photos (if you want them) are in the PDA and readable from Internet Explorer. Very simple and no other programs are needed. Whole process for 200 plus pages takes less than 30 seconds.

One word of wisdom....When you are exporting the HTML, do not have the PDA in the sync cradle. The graphics (photos, stars, etc.) get garbled.

Downside of HP IPAQ....Fast processor=short battery life.

You might want to consider palm OS instead of pocket PC. They are cheaper, have good batery life, and there is a multitude of programs for them.

Thanks. B)

I got my HP iPAQ HX4700 series PDA today. It is charging in the docking station and I am doing quite a bit at once with it.

Yes, I know I have to read the instructions carefully B)

But how do I get program files to install on the PDA? I have GPXSONAR and MOBIPOCKETREADER to install on it (as downloaded files on my PC)

However when I drag the files over using ActiveSync, they are no longer executable installable programs.

I know it would be simple, but I am keen to get these programs on my PDA.

Shrek

To install, sync your PPC with the computer. Then on the PC side, simply run the executable file. It will run the installer and install the software on your PPC. Try GPXSonar first as you'll find it much easier to use than Mobipocket when searching for a cache. Since your unit runs PPC2003SE, this version is stable and works very well on a VGA screen (the PPC 2002 version is still beta). Now when you load the .gpx file emailed to you, you can decide how you want to sort. I generally choose by distance as it's easier for me, but if you know the name of something you want sort by name.

Once I know what I want to do, I make a .loc file and use Vito NavigatorII to lead the way. It's an excellent program and the most reasonable at $20. It has the same features as GPSDash (also excellent but $15 more) and most of the same as GPSTuner (doesn't play well with the Toshiba e740 so I don't use, plus it's the most expensive of all). About the only other thing I could recommend is a TOPO map program like Backcountry Navigator (final beta stage) or Outdoor Navigator ($20 with free topo map and water navigation chart downloads) which also interface with your GPS unit.

I hope this helps, and if you find you have other questions about using the GPS with your PPC you might also check the hardware/GPS forum at aximsite.com as the focus there is completely using the pocketpc for navigation.

Hello Grey Wolf,

Thanks for your help. I have tried your way, but I also have the MobiPocketReader and GPXSonar installed as well.

It says that the version of GPXSonar is designed for previous Windows??

I downloaded it direct from the website that was provided in this particular forum.

The Pocket Reader I have kept to view Ebooks.

But your explanation and using the HTML export is so far the best I have found.

I have the HP iPAQ HX4700 PDA now - not going to buy anything else for a while.

Getting a few caches on the road now which is good.

A question though??

I cannot seem to find anywhere where I can write notes attached to the Cache I am on - to refresh my memory when I get home?

Yes, I could write on note via the notes area on the PDA, but I had hoped there would be some cool way to write it via the menu I get from the HTML screen??

And for your technical people, I have the GPSmap60c as previously mentioned.

Where do I set the feature where I do NOT double overlay waypoints on download to the GPSr? I was stuffing around with GSAK and I had two caches at the same point at one stage. Is there some way it deletes caches as it replaces them with a fresh GPS waypoint dump??

Thanks,

Shrek.

I have been using the Holux Ultra CF card with a Toshiba e755 plus GPSDash and Pocket Topo!

Topo maps from National Geographic are really well done and better than those provided with Outdoor Navigator.

Tried also the BC307 CF card with WAAS support from GlobalSat but this little guy is a bit too temperamental, hard to get and quick and easy to loose signals. Tried also OziExplorerCE, a bit tad too expensive.

I have made some reviews about these packages at http://jeepx.blogspot.com

Cheers,

A. Sergio Cardoso

Yeah, but nobody has answered the couple of questions I had in the post dated October 5th.

I have been sending HTML files exported from GSAK to the PDA. But how does one add notes so that they get reinserted into the GSAK database, or so you know what to log on the Geocaching.com website?

Yes, I can do what I have been doing and that is simply using PDA in note format to write them, but I thought there may be a better way out there.

Also, where and how do you adjust a setting, so that all previous Cache waypoints are deleted prior to sending the new set from GSAK to the GPSr??

Thanks,

Shrek