Roofboxes

markandlynn

I am sure some of you may of spotted our tiny tent nestled away in the corner at the Shropshire event the other week.

Others may of seen us arrive with a rather full car and some others may of seen us depart with a less full car (we drank some of the contents :lol: ).

We knew we needed a roofbox before we left, we now KNOW we need a roofbox if we are to attend any more events with our teeny tent.

So the question is where is cheapest for roofbars and roofboxes and what do we look out for (our car is a lift back ie small estate type car).

Many thanks

NB free tour of the dome to the winner :lol::D:lol:

Firtly you need to find out the dimensions of the roof bars that fit your specific car. When you have done that you can see what your roofbox options are. I would guess you are looking at around £150 all in.

I have never bought one but a friend of mine did shortly before we went away camping a month or so ago and he said that Costco have them pretty cheap. Alternativley go to Halfords to decide which one you want then scour the t'internet for the cheapest price :lol:

Another vote for the Roofbox Company. They have a huge choice, and prices are good too (or were last time I looked).

One suggestion though, don't discount your main dealer for the roofbars/rack. I bought Peugeot ones which fit perfectly and were much cheaper than generic halfords ones or the expensive (but ace quality) Thule ones.

I bought a long 500 litre Thule Roofbox and it has given me four good years of service, and I've lent it to many people as well.

Well you could have just come across to our Dome and asked us ya know! :lol: Knew you were coveting our roof box :lol: With bars (additional to the ones which came fitted with the Zafira) and the biggest roof box we could find (which apparently can hold as much as the boot of an estate car :lol: ) ours from Halfords came in at around £150. Brilliant buy, but we still think we need a bigger car with our four sprogs. Only snag with roofboxes is they take up storage space in your garage but the benefits outweigh that small drawback. Oh and I think they up the fuel consumption a bit but its not that noticeable. Our big one needs two of us to lift it on and off the car. Good luck :D

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

Yet another vote for the Roofbox company. I bought 2 x Kamei Grizzly boxes nearly three years ago and just before this Summer had lost some fixing nuts. I left them one message asking if I could buy replacements and they sent them free of charge in the next post.

The Kamei Grizzly boxes are symmetric so they can be fitted to open outwards on both sides. They are also full length and half width on our MPV so you get the full roof surface area.

Go for Thule roofbars, (as for the box i'm not sure) If you buy Thule roofbars you will never need to buy bars again, the feet that meet your roof on them are interchangeable, so when you change car you change feet at a cost of £20-£30 rather than nearly 3 figure costs. the bar lenght onto roof is also adjustable, although i don't think you can go from a mini to a 4x4.

I went from a Fiesta to a Mondeo with the same bars. You also don't need tools to fit them, you screw them on with your hand, and they are extremely secure.

One word of warning regarding Roof Boxes. It's easy to fill them, but keep an eye on the weight. If you check in your cars handbook you'll find a Maximum Loading weight for roof bars, and this figure includes the weight of the Roof box and bars. If your vehicle is still in it's Manufacturers Warranty Period, overloading on the roof which causes any warping or other damage voids the warranty. This is also to stop the handling of the vehicle being affected during emergency manouvers.

Dave

The Roofbox company...

They were giving away straps too so you could hang it from the rafters in your garage (with the bars on) + drop it down/bolt on when needed...

Even if buying from somewhere else the site has lots of useful info about boxes

Edited by Archer4

we have the largest black roof box halfords doo we gave £400 for it with bars we have just bought a mpv so dont need it i is 9 months old black v large fitted my mondao just comes with bars ( you will need new brckets they are £30 quid from halfords ) give me a offer around £180 for box and bars 07849 553554 honest nowt wrong with it just in the way and not needed

Roof box's great idea BUT 2 notes of caution....

1. Bought mine from a major motor accessories retailer... during it first outing.. return leg... the hinge points failed spilling the contents of the box (luckily just sleeping bags) over the middle and fast lanes of the M5.... my that was exciting for a minute.. trying to recover them before there was and accident from people trying to avoid them... from a distance they looked like barels! If i'd been going 140+mph yes i could understand the box failing but i was doing a economic 60mph. Long and the short of this is i had a Friday afternoon box...they replaced it apparently never had this problem before.. so i always put a strap around the box as well now...belt and braces!!

2. Make sure you note the new hight of your vehical... for various barriers and/or carparks :blink:

Apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us....

Mart