Wifi Freespots (emphasise The Free)

The HERB5

I believe that most McDonalds have free WiFi.

A friend of mine has just bought a PSP which has WiFi built in and he was able to access the net at out local McDonalds.

Also, it's possible to have WiFi hotspots listed in your Point Of Interest data on TomTom

Edited by nediam
I believe that most McDonalds have free WiFi.

Unfortunately WiFi is not free at McD's it is run by BT and is called OpenZone (http://www.btopenzone.com/)

Cheers Matrix for the heads up.

Just checked my local McDonalds and they have WiFi for the bargain price of £6 per hour!!!!! :D:lol::o;)

They do have other prices like £10 per day, but It would be nice if you could have free internet access whilst you ate a burger! :D

At those prices it's much cheaper to use my SPV phone and save the price of a WiFi card.

Just checked my local McDonalds and they have WiFi for the bargain price of £6 per hour!!!!!  ;)  :D  :D  :o

They do have other prices like £10 per day, but It would be nice if you could have free internet access whilst you ate a burger!  :D

At those prices it's much cheaper to use my SPV phone and save the price of a WiFi card.

No problem :D

They also do a PAYG type scheme which is a little bit cheaper IIRC :lol:

Just checked my local McDonalds and they have WiFi for the bargain price of £6 per hour!!!!!  ;)  :D  :D  :o

They do have other prices like £10 per day, but It would be nice if you could have free internet access whilst you ate a burger!  :D

Pay As You Gorge?

Pay As You Gorge?

Pay as you grow!

I know for a fact that my access point was used by a passing cacher to log a cache last week.  I have no problem with that.

How about a pinned thread of geocaching WiFi hotspots provided by ourselves?

I'm quite happy to share mine (N53 44.023 W1 39.595) although, unlike Fruity I do not provide the tea and cakes.  :ph34r:

-

I like the idea... but not being an expert on setting up a WiFi hotspot are you not leaving yourself exposed? What I mean is (a) could neighbours use you connection all the time and (:D is your computer secure, ie is your personal data secure?

With regard to (a) is there any way that it could be restricted to cachers only?

Chas

I had been thinking the same thing.

The only solution I could come up with would be a member's only cache which you get before logging any other local caches. I suggest MO because there would be little point in making it fully available because anyone could get it. Much less likely to get a network terrorist who is a paid up member of GC.com.

The MO cache could have the WiFi security password in it which would be all you would need to get onto Fruity's internet connection.

When I read a book about the origins of Wi-Fi, I read and thought about the concept of leaving your connection open (with suitable firewall!) for passers-by to use. It seemed like the community spirited thing to do, and hey - I'l be made up to find an open spot so why not offer that to others?

I then, at a later date, read separately about how I, as the connection owner, were responisble for whatever information, images, files or otherwise of varying legality were downloaded via my connection. Doesn't matter that I didn't download them, or that they're not one any of my computers.. they were downloaded in 'my name' effectively.

I subsequently locked down my WI-Fi connection!