Ftf Stats

Super_Nate

Super_Nate,

If it were added, how would it be implemented?

Would it be a check box on the log that asks if you were FTF? There's nothing preventing the first person to log it from checking the box.

Would it be the first person to log it? That isn't always the FTF.

Leave it up to the owner? Nah, wouldn't be something I'd want to worry about. I've seen the 9th person who logged the cache saying "Wow, a FTF!" when the logbook verifies someone else.

I have seen a bunch of people just add a line to their profile:

"As of 9/4: 15 FTFs"

or have a list of caches you were FTF on, etc.

It was an idea, but I guess there is no way it could happen.

terracaching uses a FTF code to determine the FTF status of a find. It is entered when the the find is logged. Works pretty nicely, actually.

--Marky

What happens if the FTL is not FTF?

Doesn't matter because the FTF has taken the code out of the cache.

I'm lukewarm on the idea, since trying to FTF is quite competitive as it is already. Keeping stats and giving it more merit might lead to possibly unpleasant consequences.

Having a physical code that FTF has to take out of the cache is a good idea, but it can been done with a FTF Travel Bug (people have done that before). Of course, it can get expensive ($4 each minimum) and if the TB gets re-used, people might cheat, since after all, FTF is competitive enough as it is already.

But I'm sure a special icon and unique code for "FTF Travel Bug" can be generated with some modifications to the current software without major overhaul.

It was an idea, but I guess there is no way it could happen.

terracaching uses a FTF code to determine the FTF status of a find. It is entered when the the find is logged. Works pretty nicely, actually.

--Marky

This is no problem what so ever. The FTF takes the FTF code from the cache, so is the only person who can claim the FTF log, regardless of when he or she actually enteres his or her log entry.

I guess I'm in the party-pooper column here.

I sure as heck am not gonna go back and try to account all the FTF's I already have...nor am I going to go back and attempt to verify everyone who has FTF'd on my own caches.

Odds are I'm not really going to care enough about anyone else's FTF to put any sort of verification code in any new cache I hide in the future either.

This is no problem what so ever. The FTF takes the FTF code from the cache, so is the only person who can claim the FTF log, regardless of when he or she actually enteres his or her log entry.

Except, of course, if the FTF is not really into being FTF and doesn't take the code (or even know there is such a thing) and it is left in the cache.

Geocaching is non-competitive, so implementing a 'reward' stat for being first would change the nature of the sport. Just go check out the angst over in the thread on what really qualifies as a first find. And currently there's nothing on the line except perhaps a slightly better than usual trinket.

Some folks care about being first and keep track for themselves. Some don't. Some like to record all the other geocachers they've met while on the hunt. Others just smile, say 'Hi', and move on. There's those who will tell you how far they hiked in a day, how many caches they found in a set amount of time, the number of states/countries/continents visited. And there's those who don't care.

There's probably a million things we could track, and then everyone could become more worked up about who's winning and who's cheating and what it means. And that would destroy one of the great attractions of geocaching - It's not important if you were first or fiftieth, found five or five thousand caches, travel all over or stay in your own town, hike hours or drive to every container... If you are having fun, then that's what matters.

Ron/yumitori