Cottage Life Mag.

Star2004

Could you localize "Cottage County" for this left-coaster?

Star2004 is referring to Ontario. Cottage country is everything north of Barrie, including Muskoka and Haliburton areas, right up to Algonquin.

Cottages in this area range from small cabins to multi-million dollar "monster" cottages with 5,000 sq. foot guest "cabins".

Cottage Country is also referred to as "up north" around the Toronto area. I have been told this amuses people in Sudbury, Timmins, Thunder Bay, etc.

I have friends in Toronto (where I used to live), and to them Barrie is "up North". Actually, Barrie is sort-of-kind-of the start of Cottage Country to some people.

I once made the mistake of telling someone I was born "up north." When asked where, I said Sudbury, then got scoffed at. "Hah! That's not north! I live three hours north of there, he said." Yeah, well, okay. It's all relative I suppose.

I received my copy on October 7th.  The day after my kids went back to school and cottage season is officially closed for us.

Badly timed if you ask me.

p.s.  I could only find four sets of co-ordinates.

October 7th ? That was VERY bad timing! - But, the Mag's timing was 'great' if you live in 'Cottage Country' javascript:emoticon(':laughing:')

smilie

We too had a great difficulty finging that elusive fifth set of co-ordinates - but then 're-read' the mag's article.

No we didn't get to the one at Otter Lake, nor the ones near Kenora, or Powasson; but we were first-to-find at the one near Miners' Bay, and second for the one at Perch Creek, near Head Lake. The mag indicates they were to be taken down today (Oct 31st) and the log books would be on display at the Cottage Life Show this week-end in Toronto. I hope to be there on Saturday to see what happenned.

PS - We did put a regular TB out for his initial drop at the Perch Creek cache. We heard nothing further until just a day or so ago. The TB (Algonquin Postie Bear) was rescued from Perch Creek and is now out in the official Geocache world, near Orillia.