Being the FTF

Okay guys...we have been doing this about a year with my dad and without my dad..he has logged in some FTF..and now I WANT ONE <_< ..my question is..Is there a way to pull up all the latest geocaches so you can see which ones have just been placed so that I have a chance to be FTF..I can search in my area..I can filter out the ones I found and so forth..but how do I get the list of the newly listed...I do get the email that has the ones for the week, but by that time they have been FTFed..sooooo..HELP..thanks in advance for any help..

Instant notification for premium members rocks.  That's how I got my first FTF.

I'm an FTF hound (150 FTFs), but have yet to grab one under the new notification system. I don't expect to either 'cause I first check the GC website for new caches before I check my Email.

When you set up your PQ, you can bookmark the link. When you turn on your computer, clicking on the bookmark brings up the login link. Once you log in, the "FTF" PQ will come right up; this saves a couple steps.

If you're not a member, you'll have to scroll the website for new ones. Here, you can also set up a bookmark. Bookmark the webpage after you run a query by zip code. This will save a couple steps as well.

The best way yet to nab FTFs is to anticipate their listing. Your admin approvals tend to have a routine. Maybe after work and/or dinner. Once you figure out their routine, you can log in and wait for the caches to be listed.

In my area, most caches were listing at 10:30p and 6A, give or take 15 minutes. But now the times have changed to 9A and 2P. That hurts me 'cause those are my work hours. These hours favor the retirees <_< .

Edited by Chuy

Just do like some of the people here that have no lives do.

Sit with your finger on the refresh button all day and keep hitting it until a new one shows up, then hall butt and hope you beat them.

It's more luck and being ready than anything else. Premium or not you have to be fast on the trigger.......

FTF's are ok but some people build their whole game plan around them. It takes the fun out of planting them sometimes. Why not just take it to their house, let them sign the log then put it out for the others. FTF prizes are not worth putting in a cache for the same people over and over........

I imagine that the instant notify feature would be helpful, but working at night helps, too. That may not be an option for you, though. Being free during the day means I have a lot of opportunities to be first. Let me warn you though, it got to the point where I had so many FTF's that the novelty wore off and I started to make a point of never even mentioning that I was first. Too much of a "good" thing, if you will. Now it's gotten to the point where I'll only really try to be first if it's a hard cache or there's a prize that I would like to have (a trail book, in one case). Thanks again to the kind fellow who supplied that. :lol:

Just do like some of the people here that have no lives do. 

Sit with your finger on the refresh button all day and keep hitting it until a new one shows up, then hall butt and hope you beat them. 

There are a few programs out there that will do this automatically for your internet browser. You can set them to refresh at whatever interval you want.

And no, I haven't used them for anything geocaching related. We have a few FTF and they were mostly just luck of seeing a new cache published near by and having the chance and desire to run right out the door to grab it.

Okay guys...we have been doing this about a year with my dad and without my dad..he has logged in some FTF..and now I WANT ONE :D ..my question is..Is there a way to pull up all the latest geocaches so you can see which ones have just been placed so that I have a chance to be FTF..I can search in my area..I can filter out the ones I found and so forth..but how do I get the list of the newly listed...I do get the email that has the ones for the week, but by that time they have been FTFed..sooooo..HELP..thanks in advance for any help..

You may want to watch this page

How often depends on how active others are in your area. If they're very active, you may need to check that page every 15? minutes, and have a ready launch kit (what you use for caching) standing by. If you want till 'early tommorrow morning' or 'this weekend' someone else who has nothing else to do may get their first.