35mm Film Cannister Micro Cache Containers

Groundspeak do or did produce Micro cache containers which were water and just about anything else proof but at the moment they don't seem to be listed by either of the UK suppliers that I have used, i.e. Finger Technologies or GlobalPositioningSystems and with postage are an expensive option. :P

Are you sure that the 35mm containers really are leaking. It is possible that they are getting wet either, because the lids have not been properly replaced as a bit of grass or excess contents can break the seal, or if they have been opened in the rain, water has got in then. :lol:

35mm film canisters are not 100% waterproof. For things that are, try here. They sell micro-capsules that are waterproof, and their delivery charge is a flat rate, regardless of quantity - or it used to be.

I got something similar off eBay, but there do not appear to be any at the moment.

I just found this on eBay - waterproof film canisters!

Hope this helps.

Edited by walkergeoff

I've used cigarette tubes from army surplus stores. They are made of thin aluminium (I think) olive green and have a waterproof seal and screw on lid, they are slightly longer and narrower than 35mm film canisters. They were 25p each last time I bought some in the Oxford army surplus store.

35mm film canisters are not 100% waterproof.  For things that are, try here.  They sell micro-capsules that are waterproof, and their delivery charge is a flat rate, regardless of quantity - or it used to be.

Sorry, you are of course quite right, though a smear of vaseline round the rim does usually keep water out if the seal is not compromised but I am afraid that more than once it has been the small plastic bags enclosing the log sheet which has poked out!

Sorry too that I did not spot that GlobalPositioningSystems are still listing the micro capsules.

Another possible is the sample tubes that doctors use to send samples to the labs - before use preferably!

Tubes of mini M&Ms. The containers are longer than a 35mm and about the same width, but the lids do appear to make a nice tight seal. AND the best bit is you get to dspose of the contents before using the container! :P

Mind you, I just got some of the 2nd hand army surplus ciggy tins and they are the "dogs knees" I must say! and cheap!

I have seen these used with good luck.

https://www.teachersource.com/catalog/page/...62cbcf2#SM-100A

Perfect opportunity for someone to buy a job lot and flog them on ebay to other people. Can't see one person needing 30 of those :cry:

Ha.... you don't know some of my local cachers!!! Scattering 30 of them around the countryside would be no problem to them.

The best solution is to find a different hidey hole and put in a 'proper' cache <_<

You could always pop into your local doctor's surgery and ask the receptionist for some urine sample pots! :cry:

There's a cache we did in Portsmouth a while back which used one and the contents were bone dry. Let's just hope it hadn't been used before though! <_<

They cost about 40p from most chemists.