"tupperware" As London Bombs

;)

From BBC news:

"The bombs were all placed in the same type of plastic food containers, and carried in dark rucksacks.

This device was also packed into the plastic food container, manufactured in India and sold in 100 outlets across the UK, he said.

Mr Clarke appealed to shop owners who may have sold five or more of the containers together in recent months to come forward.

They are described as six-and-a-quarter litre, clear, Delta family containers, with a white lid. "

_41341023_containers203.jpg

In the U.S. we frequently hear reports of Ammo Cans that were neutralized after the Bomb Squad was called. Locally we have a very nice area where a few Ammo Cans were placed. Recently the Cache owners were informed that Ammo Cans were no longer acceptable. They now require Cache containers to be see through plastic. It's obvious they consider clear containers to be safer (for us, for the Bomb Squad, for both?). I doubt this is going to make them reconsider. Large containers in our area tend to be Ammo Cans. Smaller containers are more likely to be clear Plastic.

I suspect this particular container was not used for Caches in the U.K. Is that a correct assumption?

Saw the containers on television as the police showed one of them during a news conference. Would not worry too much, they are much larger than what we use for caching, and the wrong shape as well. I don't think the bomb squad will blow up every little plastic container found in the countryside, although it would be wise not to plant caches in cities....

Just like this, this and this thread, this has little to do with UK or Irish geocaching.

Perhaps so...But if a geocacher was slotted by accident we would all be talking about it........fact.

Conveniently ignoring the important word 'if' and the term 'slotted' which sounds like you've been reading Andy McNab's latest offering, this has nothing to do with anything.

I can't see many geocachers sprinting like gazelles over barriers

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to the family and friends of Jean Charles de Menezes.

without sounding harsh, the guy ran.... what would the reaction have been if he was allowed to get away and blew himself up on the train?

simple rule if someone with a gun tells you to stand still then do so. doesn't matter if they are police or mugger you'll never out run the bullet real life not like the movies.

terrible that innocent bloke is dead. but it will be worse for us all if the police marksman gets hung out to dry.

atleast clear containers hold no suprises for the bomb squad. they have little choice but to blow up a ammo box as dadgum hard to see inside.

without sounding harsh, the guy ran....

terrible that innocent bloke is dead. but it will be worse for us all if the police marksman gets hung out to dry.

The guy was brought up in 'police state' where armed police and 'government agents' shot people... every day!

Those officers that called out to him to stop were apparently in plain clothes and therefore not immediately identifiable as police officers. Who knows what thoughts were going through the guys mind. If they'd been in uniform, it may have been a story with a different ending.

Some marksman.... it took 5 shots at point blank range. I do agree, however that under the circumstances, the 'officers' (if that's really what they were) were acting in the best interest of the community and should not, as you say, get 'hung out to dry'. I would be interested to read the findings of an enquiry, though.

without sounding harsh, the guy ran....

The guy was brought up in 'police state' where armed police and 'government agents' shot people... every day!

Those officers that called out to him to stop were apparently in plain clothes and therefore not immediately identifiable as police officers. Who knows what thoughts were going through the guys mind. If they'd been in uniform, it may have been a story with a different ending.

Some marksman.... it took 5 shots at point blank range. I do agree, however that under the circumstances, the 'officers' (if that's really what they were) were acting in the best interest of the community and should not, as you say, get 'hung out to dry'. I would be interested to read the findings of an enquiry, though.

the 5 shots at point blank range was for a reason.

and yes he is a marksman, as all shots hit.

think about it, if they suspect him as being a bomber, they have to make sure he can not press any detonator in his dying state, hnce they keep shooting until he has no nervous system left that could press the button.

in the uk, the police always shoot to kill. otherwise they dont shoot at all. so if you are going to do it, you might as well make sure its effective.

As this is now completely off topic, I would like to add my 2p.

The police were acting in defence of the public. As it has later been shown to be an error, then this is a tragedy, but they did not have the luxury of lots of time to make their decision.

I think that they were personally very brave indeed, because they didn't shoot this (unfortunate) guy from a distance but bundled on top of him. IF he had been a bomber, they were placing themselves in very great danger of a rather nasty death. They did believe that he was a bomber, so they were being immensely brave.

Marksman? what's that got to do with it?

I am not as paranoid as TDW though, I do believe that I can wonder around London and not get shot by the police just for carrying a tupperware in a backpack. If challenged I am unlikley to go running off (gazelle like or otherwise). Brazil policing may well be in the state that Klaus suggests, but then that is hardly the fault of OUR police is it? No matter how imperfect they may be at times, these are the police who are standing between us and the terrorists. I wouldn't fancy their job much.

Now that tupperware containers can be expected to be, in some muggles' mind, associated with bomb containers, we should all pay particular attention to complying with the cache-placing guidelines.

To my dismay, I've found no less than three caches which had bogus or misleading names on the flysheet of the logbook or on the container or both. On all three occasions, all spaced miles and months apart, I emailed a polite suggestion to the cache's "owner" that perhaps labelling them with the actual cache name might be a good idea. Sadly, on all three quite separate occasions, my bright and benign idea was met with haughty disdain by the cache owner. That's a pity.

There are very good reasons for putting an honest label of the cachename on and/or within a cache. It enables a benign accidental finder to rapidly look up the cachepage on the internet. Nowadays all police officers carry both a radio and a cellphone, with which they can instantly contact their police office or divisional headqarters from where a swift look at the relevant cachepage can be made.

Most cachepages give not only a very good description of the locus, but also describe the type of container and sometimes even indicate a representative list of what the contents actually comprise. That eliminates the slight possibility that a tupperware (the sealable plastic food container, not necessarily of that brandname) box might cause an unnecessary scare or otherwise be disposed of by a finder who is unable to trace a cache's authenicity due to a thoughtless or malign individual repeatedly putting bogus cachenames on caches and ignoring pleas to rectify the easily avoidable contraventions of what really are quite easily understood rules.

A cachepage can swiftly be found by the police or other legitimate enquirers into the authenticity of a genuine cache only if the cacheplacer is open and honest about the actual name of the cache. Also, misleading or bogus cachenames on caches can only cause confusion and could easily cost a cache (or worse).

If a cache is named Chalk on its logbook and/or container, but is named Cheese on the Geocaching.com website, then it is practically impossible for a benign finder to trace the cache's actual identity.

Cheers, The Forester

To my dismay, I've found no less than three caches which had bogus or misleading names on the flysheet of the logbook or on the container or both. On all three occasions, all spaced miles and months apart, I emailed a polite suggestion to the cache's "owner" that perhaps labelling them with the actual cache name might be a good idea. Sadly, on all three quite separate occasions, my bright and benign idea was met with haughty disdain by the cache owner. That's a pity.

due to a thoughtless or malign individual repeatedly putting bogus cachenames on caches and ignoring pleas to rectify the easily avoidable contraventions of what really are quite easily understood rules.

I thought we had managed to bury the old hatchet, when we all met at your CITO event. But here you are dragging up old wounds that you have yet again.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE lets not go back down this road again. Everyone in the know, knows who you are talking about. Lets drop it now, before yet again it gets out of order and you claim to be the recipient of a well formed gang that are out for you.

:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D