Geocoin Icons For Your Stats Page

Hydnckr

Hi Everyone :rolleyes:

There are lots of geocachers that have gotten onboard the geocoin craze...including me.

I enjoy purchasing and seeing geocoins and I also like logging new icons into my profile stats page (like the elusive Project APE cache I'll someday find.) Last weekend at the Midwest GeoBash I got to see and log a German Geocoin as well as a GeoWoodstock III geocoin that some generous geocachers offered to the geo-public to see. Then I picked up my GeoBash Geocoin and logged that into my account as well.

This all sparked the idea in my head that it'd be nice to have a pinned topic that would serve as a reference database for those that want to log all the possible gc.com loggable geocoins on their stats page. I can think of a half dozen already and I'm sure there'll be tons more.

I'd like to start and maintain this topic and I happily volunteer to add to and maintain the list of loggable icons.

Anyone think this is a worthy idea ?

LOGGABLE GEOCOINS ON GEOCACHING.COM

Legendary and the one that started it all:

Moun10Bike

Countries:

The 3 USA Geocoins below are only eligible for one icon in your stats.

2003 USA Geocoin

2004 USA Geocoin

2005 USA Geocoin

Germany - number starts with GE

Events:

GeoWoodstock III - number starts with GW

2005 Midwest GeoBash - number starts with and coin is designated as GB

States:

2005 Colorado - number starts with CO

2005 New Jersey

2005 Maryland

*NEW* Michigan (older version trackable at travelertags.com)

Edited by Team Hydnckr

*bump*

I'm bumping this topic up so it gets some additional exposure.

If you cachers don't think this is worthwhile I'll just let the topic fall deep into the past topic abyss. If you do think it's good, please at least post that you would use it if I maintain it.

Thanks <_<

Why don't you just create a sock puppet named 'benchmark profile' or something, and feed it all the info for everything there is. Then whenever the question comes up, "how many icons are there?" people can be quickly linked to a self explaintory reference.

To me it this seems a lot more interesting than a listing... (or maybe I'm just a visual person?)

Why don't you just create a sock puppet named 'benchmark profile' or something, and feed it all the info for everything there is. Then whenever the question comes up, "how many icons are there?" people can be quickly linked to a self explaintory reference.

To me it this seems a lot more interesting than a listing... (or maybe I'm just a visual person?)

Why not make it a sticky post instead of bumping all the time?

I thought this was a great idea.

Hence is born

Icon SP

If you are willing to send me the code for a coin that you hold I will add it to the profile.

I still have a couple of things to add to it but they are coming quickly.

webscouter, I noticed that Letterbox Hybrid, Event, Reverse locationless, Project A.P.E. caches and the Yellow Jeep TB icons are missing from the Icon SP page. I hope this helps complete the collection.

I was thinking of doing a SP account to see all of them, but since you've got one... I'll just keep tabs on it and watch for new ones.

I have to get permission from cache owners to log a cache with a puppet. Permission has been requested. Hopefully it will be forth coming.

I think fake logs in order to get an icon for ANY reason is a bad idea. Just another "Its all about the icons" issue. Next thing you know people will be selling the permission to log a coin or cache type on EBAY and someone will pay for it just to get a complete set. This is a bad idea. A fake APE cache icon would diminish the effort that goes into earning one. Someone wants to show a complete set? Earn it and then you have the right to show it of as an example.

IF you must show a complete set for what ever reason, down load the icon pictures, build a page that shows them all. Get groundspeaks permission to display it and link to it. But please don't make a fake account just for the purpose of being able to show all the icons.

I hope that none of the ape cache owners allow a fake log on their page just to satisfy some perverse desire to see all the icons on one persons page. But I still feel that if you want a page with all the icons to show off. EARN IT.

Edited by LaPaglia

I didn't want to make fake logs, thus the reason, I was only thinking about it and I never actually made a sock puppet account.

I looked at my own account and noticed that there were a few missing from my account and I thought that some of them would be quite easy to add. The Project A.P.E. caches, I figured would be the hardest. But the others could be quite simple.

Reverse Locationless could be done with this.

Event Caches would just be a matter of attendence.

You could create a letterbox hybrid. I like the way the one I found added a challenge to just another park cache.

Finding a Yellow Jeep TB, might be as much of a challenge soon as the Project A.P.E. cache, but I'm sure it's still possible.

On another note, I'm wondering if there could be an icon for first cache placed in a state. I know that there are a few original caches still out there, and it might be neat to see something to recognize the pioneer caches. It would only apply to the original cache, and not a subsequently oldest cache situation.

I wasn't sure having a sock puppet account was a great idea either, generating fake logs to show the icon for the coins, etc.

All the geocoin icons look exactly the same (obviously with Moun10Bike's exception) which is why I thought maintaining my initial post woulda been better because they are broken down into groups as well as having any possible weblinks to sites selling and or maintaining a tracking system and/or pictures of the coins.

But...oh well. :anibad:

On another note, I'm wondering if there could be an icon for first cache placed in a state. I know that there are a few original caches still out there, and it might be neat to see something to recognize the pioneer caches. It would only apply to the original cache, and not a subsequently oldest cache situation.

see this thread where it was suggested. don't hold your breath :anibad:

webscouter, I have a few that you don't yet that you're welcome to log for this.

Go ahead and log GCP29W for a letterbox.

I see you're missing a webcam and a locationless. I don't have either to help you with, unfortunately, but on the plus side, I do think those are the only other two you're missing besides a Yellow Jeep.

I belive that Icon SP now has all cache types except locationless. For what it is worth I have logged all the cache types on my personal account and tried to log the same cache or one of my own for the Icon SP account. I still need a couple of coins. If you have one in your possesion that I can grab drop me an e-mail.

Thanks