Greetings!

cinnamongirl

Now that I've got 9 caches and 3 TBs (1 dropped; 2 still waiting for the right cache), and got some help the forums (thanks jacques!), I thought it was time to formally introduce myself. I don't usually do this and I'm lousy at intros IRL as well. So bear with me...

There's already quite a bit of info in my profile, so I'll start with my geocaching history. Albeit short, I'm pretty adept at milking a story for all it is worth (or overpricing it altogether). Didn't I already mention the bearing with me part? Incidently, people laugh at me when I (rarely) utter, "To make a long story short..." I can't understand why everyone in such a hurry these days. Sheesh!

I got into geocaching because I wanted a GPSr. I've a habit of eschewing the highways. I like to get to my destinations via street and backroads. I like to drive and highways bore me to tears. Unfortunately, I have a sense of direction that goes on the fritz more often than not. So I find myself wanderdriving around Cincinnati and its suburbs vaguely aware of where I am but with no idea how to get to where I want to be. Lost? I really don't like to call it that. Just searching for alternative routes. Maps don't help because they usually don't include dead-end street level or the new roads Buckeyes are constantly laying. What I would give for a Thomas Bros. for Cincinnati... ::sigh:: (I grew up in SoCal, so I know!)

Of course, this is an exceptionally valid reason for asking for a GPSr, but I had to prove that it was even more useful than that. It turns out that I didn't really want a road model anyway... Map schmap! I know this town way better than my husband, born and raised here, because he's a highway wimp and I fear no windy, two-lane, forested backroad that runs North--now West-but-supposed-to-go-Northeast--whew, finally Northeast! Eventually I figure, I'll never ever get lost. Uh. I mean, off course.

Next stop: Google to find convincing uses for GPS and hey, what's this, a game called geocaching? A treasure hunt? Cool! Lookee, there's one at a park blocks from my house that I go to a lot! And I can take my new pup with me on walks. I've been meaning to do that more. I might get back in shape. I could be outdoorsy again just like I was before I moved here from Hawaii! Whaddya know, this town might not be as forsaken as I've been saying it was all these years. Where do I sign up?

What commences then is the search for an affordable unit that my adoring husband will allow to be squeezed into our budget (there's no sense telling him now all the extraneous expenditures that will soon result thereafter). Enter Costco--the answer to all my dreams. It's like a toy store for adults. A shang-ri-lah where I can buy my groceries in BULK (yeah!) and pick up gadgets and flooring and DVDs, oh my! And they make me feel special when I walk through the front door waving my MEMBERSHIP card. I'm one of few (ok, many) of a select group of people who know how to make room for a three-year supply of pickles. Ingenuity knows no bounds.

Neither the depths to which I will sink to convince hubby I deserve a new toy. For he is a gadget-geek as well and knows the power of specs and features. It is one ping pong match after another when it comes to who needs their toy more. Last month, it was ghost-hunting equipment for the mister (we're stranger than you might think); voice recorder for EVPs, EMF detector, some thermal doohickey and other such apparati of which I know nothing. Lucky for me, the Other Membership Warehouse of Dubious Ethical Business Practices ran out of the coveted night vision equipment they've been hawking for a year at the most amazing price. All pity for loving husband aside, we'll need one of those later for night caching, so no worries (but keep a lid on it for now). Swallowing his disappointment, he bought me the Magellan eXplorist 200 I'd been drooling over. I came home and found the surprise on my desk. (I was led to believe that the night vision scope was to become a new addition to our techno toychest.)

The next day, I was personalizing it and hunting cache. I couldn't locate that first cache and had to log a DNF. As matter of fact, I logged two DNFs, but I found one. I took my teenager with me. He was not impressed to start, but it would only take a couple more caches to hook him. Hooked the hubby that weekend with a cache hunt that bagged us 3 more! I waxed eloquent on how this would be a opportunity to spend more time together and how wonderful it was to be out in nature. He's even wondered allowed about combining our hobbies and placing caches in areas reputed to be haunted. Hmmm, interesting idea...appeal to the willingly spooked!

Needless to say, I'm an eager cacher and a happy camper! If this proves to be a hobby I can stick to (not running out of caches nearby, finding the time in between work and domestic duties), I can see getting so much out of it. The fulfillment of doing something I can enjoy alone or with my family, the opportunity to make new friends, the physical and spiritual self-improvement tromping through the woods provides. More importantly, the explorer in me that's been repressed for so long is back. I feel as if a piece of me has been reborn.

We're planning a camping trip in Virginia next month. I've already printed out the data sheets. I'm shopping for more equipment and TBs. There's a Camelbak in the mail with my name on it. I'm carefully scouring the 'net for the best trail shoe in existence that won't break my bank. I'm feeding the addiction. There's no stopping me now. ::Cue evil cackle::

If you've made it this far, I commend you. You've obviously the patience of Job. Now here's the all-important, multi-part question that by now you, the reader, must surely be equipped for answering. Are my logs too long? How long are yours? Do you like long logs? Is there an accepted reasonable length? I've seen long ones and completely superfluous ones. I try to stay on topic and I'm hoping there's value including details about the hunt, but I see that mine seem to stand out. I hope that's okay because telling the story is half the fun. I know they're a bit dry right now. I'm working on my creative writing. The above will attest to the fact that I need a LOT of work! :ph34r:

There is sort of a 'rule' that many peoplein the forums go by, and that is if a cache has a bunch of short logs, expecially ones like "TNLNSL, TFTC" then the cache is pretty lame. However if cache has a ton of long, descriptive logs, then people must like it. It's kinda a rating system :ph34r:

By the way, "TLNLSL, TFTC" is cacher shorthand for "Took Nothing Left Nothing Signed Log, Thanks For The Cache". Basically its regarded as a polite way of saying that the cache was nothing special.

Now if you were to log a real long log on one of my caches you'd likely get an e-mail from me to caht further about the cache. I love when cachers have fun with one of my caches and tell all about it in the logs.

First of all, welcome!

I've had people complain that my logs are too long. Then I've had people complain that I didn't write long enough logs on THEIR caches. It seems they've gotten used to reading my lengthy descriptions of my hunt, my find, my day, my life history on the cache pages.

I enjoy writing and my online logs are my outlet. Most of the time my paper logs are short due to time constraints or (more commonly) the paper is just too darn small to write comfortably on.

Write the logs the way you want and enjoy! Don't be surprised if people start commenting about them to you. :ph34r:

Bret

Hey, Cinnamon girl! I'm from Cincinnati and headed there this weekend - give me a holler if you want to meet and do some caching there! I'll be in Price Hill.

Why I say this is - you're coming to VA and that's where I live now! If you're coming anywhere near Winchester, drop me a note and maybe we can cache together here!

Momma Marauder

Hey, Cinnamon girl! I'm from Cincinnati and headed there this weekend - give me a holler if you want to meet and do some caching there! I'll be in Price Hill.

Why I say this is - you're coming to VA and that's where I live now! If you're coming anywhere near Winchester, drop me a note and maybe we can cache together here!

Momma Marauder

Hey Momma Marauder! I'd LOOOVE to meet a fellow cacher (haven't met one yet!). I'm working in the AM both days this weekend :ph34r: but I may be available after 2pm. There's plenty of caches I haven't been to yet on that side of town. If you want to come to my side of town, there are plenty of nice caches in Loveland and Montgomery. Drop me a note if you can work me into your schedule.

Alas, I will be on the KY/VA border (Breaks Interstate Park) this July. There are caches around that area, but I see it is many miles from your home base. Another time, I guess. That is, unless you are the type of cacher to drive 300+ miles to go hunting. :lol:

Thanks everyone for responding. I'll post more later. I just finished printing some cache sheets and maps. I'm now going to pick up Princess (my daughter's chosen team nickname-it fits!) from camp and off a-cachin' we go! Yippeee!

If you've made it this far, I commend you. You've obviously the patience of Job. Now here's the all-important, multi-part question that by now you, the reader, must surely be equipped for answering. Are my logs too long? How long are yours? Do you like long logs? Is there an accepted reasonable length? I've seen long ones and completely superfluous ones. I try to stay on topic and I'm hoping there's value including details about the hunt, but I see that mine seem to stand out. I hope that's okay because telling the story is half the fun. I know they're a bit dry right now. I'm working on my creative writing. The above will attest to the fact that I need a LOT of work!  :o

Too long? TOO LONG? The entirety of your above-referenced post might have been a little long. Your logs are not EVEN approaching too long. For one thing, you have not even come close to running up against the 4000 character limit.

I actually asked this question about my own logs on our local geocaching board. No one seemed to mind lengthy stories as long as they were good ones, and relevant to the hunt. Somebody gave a link to a fellow elsewhere in the country who always writes 4000+ character logs. I read several, and none of them have anything to do with finding the cache. They all seem to be wordy, pathetic diatribes about finding "the one."

I don't always write logs which are very long. Sometimes there isn't much of a story. But sometimes there is. Here is an example of one of my longer logs. I happen to be the first to find on this cache, and the third to post.

By the way, how did you ever survive in Southern California? I find that by the time I finish clearing my throat, most Southern Californians have lost interest. Maybe you talk a lot faster than I do. :o

Editing for spelling and capitalization.

Edited by Balboagirl

I like to read long logs. I suppose it's possibly to have a long, boring log, but I've never read one. I want to hear about any adventures you had along the way; wildlife you saw, cricks you fell into, splinters you got, icecream cones you ate on the way home. If I've done the cache already, your memories mix in with mine. If I haven't, it gives me a good idea whether I'd enjoy that one.

I write moderately long logs. If I liked the cache, I try to thank the hider by giving it a thoughtful log, and a picture (if anything caught my eye). As someone said above, if everybody's giving it a couple of polite lines, it's a sure sign it sucked.

Welcome to geocaching!

As far as your logs,they look great. I tend to write longish logs myself and an owner of many caches, I love reading lengthy logs that recount the hunt. Like Auntie Weasel I want to hear about your splinters, spills and wildlife encounters.

I do find it a bit disappointing when I put out a cache that I know is a physical challenge. Perhaps a 4 mile RT hike with a rocky climb through rattlesnake infested terrain to a remote scenic view and all I get is "Found it. TNLN Thanks!". :o

I think sharing our adventures is a big part of this sport.

I like the logs that tell stories. They're fun :o ...but most of mine are short... and end with TFTH...I had no idea that was somewhat of a not nice thing to say...I've really enjoyed hunting for the 1/1's ...and all of the ones we've found :o I'll try and not say TFTH from now on. Maybe I'll say something like "WAFC!" WAFC = What A Fun Cache! :)

...but most of mine are short... and end with TFTH...I had no idea that was somewhat of a not nice thing to say...I've really enjoyed hunting for the 1/1's ...and all of the ones we've found :o I'll try and not say TFTH from now on.

No, no...some people just don't like to write a lot, and that's perfectly okay. It's when EVERYbody seems to cut it to TFTC that you have to wonder what's up with the cache.

Though you don't have to write a lot to point out your favorites. When I first started doing this, like many people do, I wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to have a rating system. Then I realized I'd feel bad down-rating someone's cache. It's so easy to say "I loved it!" on the ones that really stand out. Isn't that rating system enough?

I like the logs that tell stories. They're fun :lol: ...but most of mine are short... and end with TFTH...I had no idea that was somewhat of a not nice thing to say...I've really enjoyed hunting for the 1/1's ...and all of the ones we've found :lol: I'll try and not say TFTH from now on. Maybe I'll say something like "WAFC!" WAFC = What A Fun Cache! :D

Oh, sorry fo the confusion. TFTC or TFTH at the end of a log are not rude or taken as saying you didn't like the cache, its just that if that is the entire log then it can be taken that way.

For instance....

Hey, this was a great cache, I loved the location, etc.... I had fun, TFTC!

...is not rude in any way, but just....

TNLN TFTC

...could be. Personally, I dont' find the short log offensive or rude, it just shows that the cacher didn't find anything exciting about the cache to write about. If I see a bunch of logs like that on one cache, it shows that the cache is likely lame.

For instance....

Hey, this was a great cache, I loved the location, etc.... I had fun, TFTC!

...is not rude in any way, but just....

TNLN TFTC

...could be.  Personally, I dont' find the short log offensive or rude, it just shows that the cacher didn't find anything exciting about the cache to write about.  If I see a bunch of logs like that on one cache, it shows that the cache is likely lame.

Or the mosquitoes were so intense that the loggers are still recovering from the blood loss! :lol:

I usually write short logs in the field and longer ones online, since the online logs give the owner immediate feedback and inform future finders reading the cache description.

As a cache owner, I appeciate online logs that say something other than "TNLNSL", even if it's just to mention what shape the cache is in!

What they said!!! Another vision of TNLNSL I've seen a lot of up here is "Found it." It takes a fair amount of effort to find a cache site, put together a cache, build an informative webpage (many of our caches are at locations of historical or local significance), and maintain the cache, so we really enjoy reading a cacher's version of their trek through the woods or the hike, the search for the cache, and whether they had fun or not. Also, please do write about your "did not finds" (DNFs) or any other problems with a cache. So far in two cases for my caches, the DNF alerted me to problems with our caches...1) the ammo box was floating in water after the snow melted which led me to relocate the cache a short distance away with new coordinates and 2) the cache had gone missing. We were able to fix both situations within 24 hours courtesy of a cacher's log.

There's a nifty scroll button on the side of the cache page that lets people scroll by logs they don't want to read. All the text does come into GSAK and other applications, so I could see where it might bother people who do paperless caching (we'll get there eventually), but so few cachers write more than a few words or a couple of sentences I don't think it will be a "problem." So, write away.

We think TFTC, TFTH, TNLNSL, and other abbreviations are fine if they follow or are followed by a sentence or two about the cache finding experience (we use them ourselves). If nothing else, did the kid(s) or dog(s) do something especially funny or who in the group actually found the cache? Simple stuff like that really lightens up a log for us and makes hiding caches more worthwhile. Other cachers can say a lot with just a few words as in this recent log for one of our micros: "Found it on 10, put it back on 9. Nice adaptation! SL." The cacher that left this log let us know that he put the cache back where the clue said it should have been, appreciated the variation of a film cannister microcache hide and signed the log. He could have just as easily written TNLNSL which isn't much shorter, but certainly doesn't say as much.

All of the above said (now this post is getting long), each person plays the game they way they want to, so short logs, long logs, no logs...as long as people are out there having fun looking for our caches we're happy.

I've had people complain that my logs are too long. Then I've had people complain that I didn't write long enough logs on THEIR caches. It seems they've gotten used to reading my lengthy descriptions of my hunt, my find, my day, my life history on the cache pages.

The man has more fun than anyone else I know while doing this. :D