White Bumps On Forearm

WARedBear

Spent the weekend finding some caches in GA and AL. Get to work this morning and my forearm is itching. I look down and find several white bumps scattered around. I have a total of about 14 bumps, some are singles and some are clustered in a group of two to four bumps. Any ideas as to what it might be? Thorns? Poison something? I did find several caches in the woods so it could be anything.

Thanks

Washington Red Bear

WARedBear,

I know some of the caches you hit... and yes, poison ivy has been known to grow in a few of those locations. Benadryl is a good idea but not scratching the spots is the best advice! Poison Ivy leaves an irritant oil on the skin... you scratch, it spreads. Saunas tend tend to help too.

Regards, Trillium1 :grin:

the active oil is easily removed with soap and water. after washing, scratching the itch will not spread the PI. it will increase the possibility that you will get an infection though, so best not to scratch. benadryl by mouth is good advice. topical cortisone cream is also helpful. in severe cases, see your doc to get prescription strength help! -harry

Actually, spreading PI by sratching is a myth. By the time the rash appears, the oil is usually gone. The oil can, however, stay on clothes. Make sure you thoroughly wash the clothes you are wearing when you contacted the PI SEPARATELY from other clothes. Don't throw them in the hamper with other clothes.

My personal fav remedy is CaladrylClear, a great ointment for poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac. Being a tree cutter for some years, I ran into all that stuff alot!

Just had to deal with poison ivy on my five year old daughter. The oldest remedy worked the best. Pour bleach on a clean white dish cloth and apply directly to the bumps. 10 minutes is good and can be repeated as often as needed. Burns for a few seconds and then ...no itching. this also dries up the oils in the skin. Then put about a cup of oatmeal...any plain type works...into a sock and tie off the end. bath in as hot a tub of water as you can stand with the sock of oatmeal floating in the bath...give it a squeeze every once in a while to fog up the water and for added relief you can scrub with it too. this also helps dry up the oil but makes your skin feel soft and promotes healing of the irritation and scratches from fingernails. Took about two days with this method...been dealing with all the other methods for two weeks and it just kept spreading to adjacent body parts. Good Luck!!!

Thanks to everyone for your help. I don't think it was poison ivy because it didn't itch or spread. I just had the 13 or so white bumps. My wife popped them (I couldn't reach them) and they went away. I am guessing, from your posts, that it might have been poison oak. I think I got into it at the cache "Popeye the Sailor Man" in Albany, GA. The owner posted a warning about poisionous plants for the cache...of course I didn't see that until I was back home. :P

don't think it was poison ivy because it didn't itch or spread. I just had the 13 or so white bumps.

13 white bumps. Hmmm... Any redness around the bumps? Did they ooze any fluid for a day or two?

It sounds like you may have gotten into some chiggers or possibly a single tick that clamped down in 13 spots.

I actually think it's a pretty bad sign and your'e a goner. Can I have your GPS???

:lol:

:lol: Sure Nurse Dave....is it alright if I give you all of my caches to maintain, my PDA, my geocoins, and my backpack? Doesn't sound like I will be needing them anymore where I'm going...... :D

don't think it was poison ivy because it didn't itch or spread. I just had the 13 or so white bumps.

13 white bumps. Hmmm... Any redness around the bumps? Did they ooze any fluid for a day or two?

It sounds like you may have gotten into some chiggers or possibly a single tick that clamped down in 13 spots.

:lol: Actually they did ooze green gunk that eventually turned to blood and my arm has red streaks shooting up it...not to mention it is beginning to smell really bad. Maybe Nurse Dave does know what he is talking about. It is a good thing that I am givng him all of my geocaching items so he can carry on my dreams.... :lol:

by the way...I am just kidding, my arm is fine