How Long Is A Piece Of String??

AtoZ

As I sit and ponder about puzzle cache, mostly that I have done and have created I wounder what others like about a puzzle cache or don't like. I don't need to hear "ones that I can solve." But what I am wondering is logestics. Ones you solve in the comfort of your home then run out and make the final find. Ones you go ot find a piece of the puzzle and then have to go back home solve that piece then go back out etc... untill you make the final find. Or ones you go out and solve clues/puxxles untill you get to the final hind all in the field.

I guess I like the first and last types as making endless trips out anf back well is making endless trips. If you have examples that is good if not just what you like.

cheers

Edited by AtoZ

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I'm having trouble understanding your post. That's ok, but please let me try to get this straight:

You like to:

Read the description of the cache. Solve the puzzles. Go find the cache.

You don't like to:

Read the description of the cache. Solve a puzzle. Go find the first part. Get another puzzle. Go home. Solve puzzle. Go out and find another part. All because you feel it is a waste of time.

If that's correct, I feel the same way.

For me it depends on difficulty. If its a rather hard puzzle i prefer to solve it at home where i can spend more time on it. Nothing worse than 8 degrees out and i have to know the square root of the year ringo starr was born or a math puzzle thats not overly hard but is going to take me two hours. I love puzzle caches. I have 2 of them that both need to be solved in the field. neither is overly hard provided you either bring the right person with you, or know basic algebra. We have a sort of puzzle war going between a couple cachers in the area and i love reading them and trying to solve. i have 2 solved just havent had the time to go grab them, and others i am still working on. I like earning my smiley!

Some caches, if you aren't prepared, could require you to return home to figure out the next step. How do you get prepared if you don't know there will be a puzzle? I found the first stage of a cache near my house. Inside was a cryptic clue. Because this was in front of a business, I went home to solve it. I could have gone inside the store to purchase (or maybe just browse through) an item that had the answer in it. I know where the second stage is now, but do I need to bring the item I used for step one with me? Probably so, but not necessarily. The next stage might have a completely different cryptic clue and I'd have to return home again. The first two stages are over 10 miles apart, so that would make me mad. All the more reason to keep the starting coords to multis and puzzles close to the next stage (it would be different if it was designed to be an 8 mile hike and each stage was 2 miles apart)

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
A string is only as long as you want it to be.......

Well I have this large quantity of string 122 thousand miles of it to be exact, and I thought, if I advertised--

Yes! Yes! A national campaign! Useful stuff, string, no trouble there!

Well there's a snag you see. Due to bad planning, the 122 thousand miles is in 3 inch lengths. So you see it's not very useful.

Well that's our selling point!

Eh?

Simpson's Individual Stringettes! The now string. Ready cut, easy to handle. Simpson's Indvidual Emperor Stringettes--just the right length!

For what?

Uhhhmm. Tying up very small parcels, attaching notes to pigeons legs, destroying household pests...

Destroying household pests?!!?? How?

Well if they're bigger than a mouse you can strangle 'em to death with it, and if they're smaller than a mouse you can flog 'em to death with it.

Come now, surely--

Destroy 99% of known household pests, with Simpson's Individual Emperor Stringettes, as used in hospitals!

Hospitals?

Ever been in a hospital where they didn't use string?

Well no, but it's only STRING.

Only string??!? It's everything! It's... WATERPROOF!

No it isn't.

Well then it's WATER RESISTANT!

It isnt!

All right it's WATER ABSORBANT! It's super absorbant string! Absorb water today with Simpson's Water Absorbitant Stringettes! Away with floods!

You just said it was waterproof!

Away with the dull drudgery of workaday tidal waves. Use Simpson's individual flood preventers!

You're mad!

Edited by PlasteredDragon

Puzzle caches are fun when we have the time to sit and ponder the clues. However as busy as our family is we hardly have the time to cache. So when we do we like to be in the field. So, puzzle caches in the field are great but dont make me spend $2.10 a gallon on gas to go home and find another piece to have to return and find the next part.

Oh well, we need to start riding bikes.

Hey, I guess we all have to pick and choose our caches, according to our mood. I agree; two trips make it hardly worth the effort sometimes... the great jerk-off. Puzzles that lead you to a solve on a one-day outing are big fun if you have the time and inclination. Let's keep all types out there as an option, but make sure we give clear descriptions and don't mislead seekers.

A string is only as long as you want it to be.......

Well I have this large quantity of string 122 thousand miles of it to be exact, and I thought, if I advertised--

Well there's a snag you see. Due to bad planning, the 122 thousand miles is in 3 inch lengths. So you see it's not very useful.

Well that's our selling point!

They can be sold to forgetful people. Instruct them to tie the string about their finger and your new product can be called something akin to "Rememberies" or some such fate.

Make sure you package them in such a way that the consumer is advised they "can only be used once and disposed of properly" so as to create a constant demand for your new product.

This is going to sell like hot cakes. I would get more string if I were you.

Puzzle caches are fun when we have the time to sit and ponder the clues. However as busy as our family is we hardly have the time to cache. So when we do we like to be in the field. So, puzzle caches in the field are great but dont make me spend $2.10 a gallon on gas to go home and find another piece to have to return and find the next part.

Oh well, we need to start riding bikes.

Remember though, that a 4-star difficulty says "May require multiple days / trips to complete." As long as a cache is rated properly, then anything goes.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
How Long Is A Piece Of String??

I'm not sure, but here's a link to the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota.

Oh, puzzle caches. For the most part, I solve them at home, then go find the cache. I think there was only one time where I went out and had to return to home for more work on the puzzle. It was a keyword decryption cache - you had to find a micro with a keyword in it, then use that keyword to solve a particular cypher. I found the keyword, and started the translation, but the answer was all gibberish, so I went home to recheck my work. Turns out the answer wasn't in gibberish, the first couple of words in the answer were in a different language. I hadn't translated far enough to get to the English part.

I'm not a big fan of puzzle caches that require me to solve them at home, especially using the computer. I can get thousands of puzzles easily. I don't cache to do puzzles, especially computer puzzles. I cache to get outside, away from the computer, and exercise. If the puzzle can be solved in the field, then I have no objections at all, as long as it's clearly identified as a puzzle cache. Sometimes I have a limited amount of time available, and just want a cache to find relatively quickly, and if it's rated a 1 difficulty but turns out to be a multi requiring all sorts of gyrations to solve, then I'm not happy, and probably will just abandon that cache, as well as all the other caches that hider has placed. Put out whatever type caches you want, but identify them properly, don't lie to me about their nature.

You guys sure do post some wierd stuff on these forums. I guess I'll understand it better after ive been doing it a while.

About puzzle caches:

I have nt done many caches but i have done alot of puzzles and i worked on a couple puzzle cache with a friend who introduced me to caching. The thing is this, if you have to work hard to solve a puzzle and you do it and it gives you a sanse of accomplishment then its a good puzzle. If you work on it and it turns out to be nothing special thats pretyy unsatisfying.

So if your going to make apuzzle cache, make it clever or leave the job to someone who will.

We're not bad at puzzle solving, and have devoured some multi-multi caches in one expedition that the placer expected to take several visits.

However, the mobile phone bill can get a bit of a bashing, with online access to the Intenet from my Palm and the occasional call to the maths genius son!

We've only encountered a couple of puzzles that we couldn't solve on the road, but that's more due to persistence than any brilliance!