New To The Boards? Don't Start Any New Threads

I don't mind seeing old topics brought up. I usually check to se what the OP has said in case there is a new twist to an old subject.

Lets face it, there are only so many topics that are going to relate to caching. If we don't allow new threads on the same old subjects, sooner or later this board will die.

Also keep in mind the number of new members that join on a daily basis. I think back when I started there were about 3,000 members on the fourms, today there is over 66,000 and those numbers grow at an astounding rate. The last time I did a study there were an average of 300 new members a day that signed on as members to this site.

Caching its self has evolved greatly over the years, and still changes on a frequent basis. Old threads and topics that might have answered a question 6 months ago, may deserve another look and different perspectives.

El Diablo

I don't mind seeing old topics brought up. I usually check to se what the OP has said in case there is a new twist to an old subject.

Lets face it, there are only so many topics that are going to relate to caching. If we don't allow new threads on the same old subjects, sooner or later this board will die.

Also keep in mind the number of new members that join on a daily basis. I think back when I started there were about 3,000 members on the fourms, today there is over 66,000 and those numbers grow at an astounding rate. The last time I did a study there were an average of 300 new members a day that signed on as members to this site.

Caching its self has evolved greatly over the years, and still changes on a frequent basis. Old threads and topics that might have answered a question 6 months ago, may deserve another look and different perspectives.

El Diablo

How did you determine that there are 66,000 people on these forums?

Edited by Team cotati697

Actually, he is looking at the very bottom of the main page on the left side. That figure is actually not accurate. If you look at the top right you will see a link that says "atb_members.gif Members".

If you click that link, you will see 8090 pages with 10 per page. That means that there are now 80900+ members registered on this board.

Actually, he is looking at the very bottom of the main page on the left side. That figure is actually not accurate. If you look at the top right you will see a link that says "atb_members.gif Members".

If you click that link, you will see 8090 pages with 10 per page. That means that there are now 80900+ members registered on this board.

Well that is a very interesting statistic. How might I determine how many total users have registered on the following web site: www.geocaching.com? Is that an available number or do you have to interpolate it from the above figures that you have so kindly supplied?

Edited by Team cotati697

Well that is a very interesting statistic. How might I determine how many total users have registered on the following web site: www.geocaching.com? Is that an available number or do you have to interpolate it from the above figures that you have so kindly supplied?

Actually if you mouse over a user nmae you will see their user id number in the bottom roght of the screen. My user number is 12,341 yours is 274,898.

Also if you click on another persons name it will carry you to their profile. Look in the web address bar and you will see their user number. You can change that number to determine if it's been assigned and on what date.

As of a few minutes ago there were 378,204 registered accounts. 238 accounts have been created so far today.

Keep in mind that these are the total number of accounts created and do not reflect the number of actual active accounts, or sock puppet accounts.

El Diablo

Actually if you mouse over a user nmae you will see their user id number in the bottom roght of the screen. My user number is 12,341 yours is 274,898.

Also if you click on another persons name it will carry you to their profile. Look in the web address bar and you will see their user number. You can change that number to determine if it's been assigned and on what date.

As of a few minutes ago there were 378,204 registered accounts. 238 accounts have been created so far today.

Keep in mind that these are the total number of accounts created and do not reflect the number of actual active accounts, or sock puppet accounts.

El Diablo

Thank you very much.

That means that there are now 80900+ members registered on this board.

80,900 members but we only talk about the same 6 or 7 things! :P

Yep, and if we try to talk about anything else, the self-appointed "forum police" (non-mods that think they know best) will derail your threads :grin:

Yes and and you give some people mod authority and not only do they think they're above the guidelines, the mod title automatically makes them a better judge of what is and is not appropriate.

WH Posted on May 1 2005, 03:37 PM

Yes and and you give some people mod authority and not only do they think they're above the guidelines, the mod title automatically makes them a better judge of what is and is not appropriate. 

Isn't that the very definition of Board Mod?

I don't see any problem bringing up items that have been brought up in the past as sometimes you can search and search and not find what you are looking for, even if it is there somewhere. So, it will be a repeat to some and those not interested in looking at it from another angle can just scroll past it or click the back button.

Aristotle: I believe I'll write a book on philosophy.

Plato: No wait! You can't do that! I've already written several!

---

Einstein: Hey, I think I have some interesting thoughts about the laws of physics. Like, just what is gravity, anyway?

Newton: Whoa there, kiddo. I think I've just about covered that whole physics topic as much as can be done. I've had to say this over and over, to James Maxwell, Daniel Bernoulli, and Michael Faraday, years ago!

---

Luna

You should feel free to ask any question you want, even if its been discussed many times previously.

I would rather keep answering the same questions over and over than have a newbie make mistakes or get in trouble because he / she couldnt find the answers they needed.

So if someone comes up to you and ask "Can you tell me about Geocaching?" do you reply "Thats been discussed before, so no." That is why there are so many great "veterans" of the sport, to show new people the way. If there is a topic that you just do not feel like discussing then move on, don't reply to it. The topic isn't hurting you any by being there.

Corp Of Discovery Posted on May 2 2005, 08:08 PM
(AuntieWeasel @ May 2 2005, 07:18 PM)
(TheAlabamaRambler @ May 2 2005, 03:45 PM)

Absolutely freaking amazing what you folks can find to argue about!

You kidding? I can be lots pettier than this.

Go on. Dare me.

Ummmm.....ok.

Double dog even.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek...

It's not "ABSOLUTELY FREAKING AMAZING".

The correct phrase is "ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY AMAZING". Although the use of hyphens is subject for further pettiness.

So get it right next time, will ya? SHEESH!