Suggest A Clear Container?

hoovman

I find that containers with screw-tops, rather than snap lids, are better at keeping water out.

Go to Costco or BJ's and find a large plastic pretzel or snack jar - like for animal crackers. Recycle it. Run it through the dishwasher or rinse it with a bleach solution to get the food smell out of it.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Go to Target and see if they have Lock-n-lock containers. Those have a seal and snap shut on 4 sides. I have had excellent luck with them. Unlike many clear containers, they seem to do well with the freezing of winter and heating of summer without cracking and they are quite water tight. They can be hard to find though. Many Target stores will carry some though.

Of course, I should have specified a size. I was thinking of alongs the lines of 3" x 4" x 6" so that the stickers I have would fit on any side of the container. Bigger would be OK, if it didn't get too expensive.

And I'm thinking something more durable than T-ware or Rubbermaid.

Funny, that's almost exactly what Dixie's Crew posted a link to - Thanks DC!

Edited by hoovman
Of course, I should have specified a size. I was thinking of alongs the lines of 3" x 4" x 6" so that the stickers I have would fit on any side of the container. Bigger would be OK, if it didn't get too expensive.

And I'm thinking something more durable than T-ware or Rubbermaid.

Funny, that's almost exactly what Dixie's Crew posted a link to - Thanks DC!

Anybody else have ideas? (I'd love to have more than one to choose from)

You can get Lock-n-lock in various sizes, including around that size. They aren't too expensive if you can find them.

Carleen's idea of Lock n Locks is a decent choice, but I've had a few of them leak and the tabs eventually snap off which will keep them from sealing properly.

I've been using Nalgene Straight Jars. They are inexpensive and watertight as long as the lid is screwed on properly. They come in several sizes. The smallest (2 and 4 oz) make for good micro containers and the larger (8 and 16 oz) are perfect for small caches. You can leave them clear, or wrap them in camo duct tape if you prefer.

80904.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I've got three caches hidden in Lock & Locks and I'm quite happy with the product, preferring it over Rubbermaid in damp conditions. I've also found dozens of them, and only once have I noted a problem... a tab that had broken off. Could be attributable to user error. Just about any container you can name, someone's gonna find a way to break it or not close it up correctly. I have a plastic drybox cache where an early finder broke the hinges because they couldn't figure out the ammo-box style release mechanism. Unburped tupperware, rubbermaids with the lids carelessly slapped back on loosely, jar tops that aren't screwed back on tight, you name it. Makes you wonder if there needs to be an IQ test and manual dexterity exam before you get your geocaching license.

Go to Target and see if they have Lock-n-lock containers. Those have a seal and snap shut on 4 sides. I have had excellent luck with them. Unlike many clear containers, they seem to do well with the freezing of winter and heating of summer without cracking and they are quite water tight. They can be hard to find though. Many Target stores will carry some though.

Yep lock n lock

so they them at target in Nebraska too?

Yep lock n lock

so they them at target in Nebraska too?

Just recently the south Lincoln, NE Target started carrying a limited selection (the north Target does not carry them). Before that I got them from a one time grocery store display and when traveling in other states.

Just about any container you can name, someone's gonna find a way to break it or not close it up correctly. I have a plastic drybox cache where an early finder broke the hinges because they couldn't figure out the ammo-box style release mechanism. Unburped tupperware, rubbermaids with the lids carelessly slapped back on loosely, jar tops that aren't screwed back on tight, you name it. Makes you wonder if there needs to be an IQ test and manual dexterity exam before you get your geocaching license.

Like my screwtop container that's supposedly wet inside? If the container isn't cracked, it means some previous finder couldn't handle the lefty righty loosey tighty thing.

Wait... How's that saying go? Make it idiot proof and they'll make a better idiot?

I'll add a vote for Lock N Lock containers. I have been using them for about my last 15 placements and have had no trouble at all. They're also not too expensive.

QVC.com has them available in several different sets for very little $$$. Just note that QVC does NOT count the LID as a piece like Target does. I've bought the #K86518 set before. The largest container in this set is 1.5 x the size of a 50 cal ammocan!

Edited by AtlantaGal

I like these Plano boxes, they have great hinges and are less prone to breaking than other hinges. However, these will leak if thrown off a cliff, as I have just found out from one of my archived caches. :laughing: I have also found some boxes at the Dollar Tree that are identical to Lock n lock that held up to submerging in very hot water and then freezing with water in hinges, no leaks and no breaking.

I have two sets of imitation lock n lock from JML Lock and Seal they are waterproof but they are not very tough and the latches are not as easy to close as Lock n Lock, they were $3 a set but I don't expect much from them.

Happy Caching.

GEO.JOE

As carleenp and others have mentioned, it's hard to beat Lock & Lock when it comes to clear containers.

00141%5B210%5D(1).jpg

Edited by Chance Encounter

I just recently found out another way that Lock n Lock containers can be defeated: when the last finders put the lid on upside down. Hard for the silicone seal to work when it is on the opposite side from where it should be. :( Prior to that, the container went through at least two floods and stayed dried inside.

I just bought a cylindrical clear container (meant to be a pasta holder) from the Container Store. It looks like it has a great seal and an easy way to open it. I was going to say fool-proof, but after reading some of the other replies here, I see that is impossable!

I'll see how it holds up, if it works well I'll post the brand here for all to see.