So Where Are The Explorists 500 And 600??

D0T-C0M

This is, actually, just about my only complaint with the 200.  Why?  Because if you're using a lanyard that goes around your neck then, when you hold the gps out in front of you, the strap tends to hang over the screen.  I wish they would have put it on the bottom of the unit so that the strap would not come into play during use.

There is an easy solution to that. Get one of the click connectors (like the ones that connect two keyrings and attach one side to the neck lanyard and one to the GPS. When you want to use the GPS, just click it off and then snap it back on when done.

I'm actually thinking that one of those iPod style armband holders would work good for an eXplorist.

I wouldn't know though, since I HAVEN't GOTTEN MINE YET! :rolleyes:

--Marky

Last night, I picked through this thread (and several others) and tried to harvest the FAQs to date. It's a bit contrived since some of the things have been asked only once, so I'm speculating on what will become FAQs.

I've not applied formatting, made "real" html out of it, or even filled in words yet, but will do so when insomnia next hits. You can see where I'm going with it at:

http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe/explorist/explorist.html

It's not a coincidence that the structure parallels my other FAQs.

If you'd like to contribute to this (especially if you can do it in complete coherent sentences that I can just drop in) please do.

So Magellan want me to buy new maps to replace my 2 years old maps...

I guess I wont get a new Magellan soon.

Those maps may be 2 years old to you, but they are MUCH more out of date than that. Of course, topo info doesn't change a whole lot, but if you are talking about street info, the tiger map datum just outright sucks in some areas. DirectRoute and Topo 3D both have much more modern street data than the old MapSend S&D or Topo.

--Marky

I agree with Marky, the old Mapsend streets and destinations does not even come close to the MapSend Direct route software, not only is it more accurate the auto routing alone is enough reason to buy in.

I have not used the new Map Send topo 3D a lot just because I am to busy with other things to do much as far as geocaching <_< But from what I have seen it looks to have a much better POI data base that covers a larger selection of information. I sure their is some one that has more information that they can share re, topo 3D

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Hmm.. can't get my computer to recognize my GPS.

I plug in the GPS and the communication screen even comes up. Says "Unit is in the USB File Transfer Mode. Communicating with the host machine." but when I try to send waypoint via the geocache manager, I get an error that says my GPS can't be found.

I grimace at the thought of having to call tech support.

The cable is in the "cable down" position, as it is supposed to be, but I even tried the other way to make sure I didn't have it backwards. No luck.

Conversion Manager gives me the same error screen.

I have tried to mess with the driver, even specifying to Windows that the driver is on the CD, (it says there is a driver) but Windows says it can't find a driver on the CD. Where else can I point Windows to find the driver?

Jamie

Hmmm..

I seem to have gotten it to work. Under the Control Panel, I forced Windows to remove the device, then I plugged it back in. This time it said it found "Explorist 500" and it worked from there.

Whew.

Now I'm playing with the geocache manager.

Jamie

Jamie...I've sometimes had the same experience installing other hardware. Ran the driver install program, everything progressed (seemingly) smoothly, then the device wasn't recognized.

I'd then go to device mgr., remove the item, click OK, next screen up says Windows is detecting new device/installing drivers and.......Tah-Dahhhh!!!!!...it works great.

Just part of the great black-magic fun that is Windows.

I got a DirectRoute map loaded and would love to go out and drive a quick route, but it's 1:45 a.m. here and I'll disturb the household overly much. However, I notice one nice improvement over the Meridian/DR combo: DR still takes over settings when going into autoroute mode, but now restores the original settings even if powering the unit off and back on while keeping the route active.

For those who may not have had the pleasure, DR would restore your original settings with Meridian firmwares only after the route was completed or aborted. If you failed to bail out before powering your unit off, you were stuck with the DR settings until you reset them manually.

Heh.. embra, I just got back from a little drive with DR.

I never had the opportunity to use DR with my Meridian, so I can't compare, but I can confirm that the settings are restored at the end of the route--and in the middle, if you quit. I think.

The backlight comes on high, and the alarm sounds when you approach a turn. The alarm can be turned off, but I can't see a way to stop the backlight from coming on. The backlight observes the backlight timer settings.

DR is kinda cool. Maybe I should have gotten it a long time ago when I had my Meridian. I dig it, although it already seems a little goofy. It routed me three different ways from basically the same spot when I checked to see how consistent it was.

Also, when I tried to input the address to my house, it said that my street had undefined house numbers. Funny, Topo 3.0 found my house within about 50 feet.

I was disappointed to see that the POIs included do not include libraries or post offices. Some of the other POIs look pretty helpful.

It seems that DR maps can only be one region. Is that correct?

I was playing around a little bit with the directory tree. Looks pretty good, and not so cumbersome like the Meridian card utilities.

Jamie

Heh yourself. Should we get a self-help group started? (I guess we already have...) <_<

Yes: DR is limited to one region of a maximum 64MB. IIRC people have edited the mapsend.ini file to allow larger regions, but they get flaky. Robert has a good review of DR on his site if you want to read about other know limitations.

I have mixed feelings about the backlight coming on. In bright sunshine the backlight is unnecessary, but it all other conditions I've seen so far the backlight improves readability nicely. The downside, of course, is the hit on battery life. I'm going along with the 30 second timer, and I'm getting used to thinking of my first button push as a wake-up prod.

When on external power, the light timer appears to be inoperative; the backlight is on brightest mode continuously. I'm eager to do some battery run-down tests.

Let the record note that we seem to be starting with a firmware 5.1.57

My first impression jives with Jamie's in that this is a less fully firmware-featured Meridian Color with the important difference of a much nicer color display. The viewing area is not that much smaller than the Meridian, but the overall bulk is; the unit is light on the hand and slips easily into a pocket (etrex sized). If there are not as many features in the firmware yet (I would hope others are added as the firmware matures), I've seen at least one or two of the bugs we've complained about remedied. Leaner and cleaner?

I feel well-disposed enough to the unit that I'm going to invest in screen protectors and a swivel mount that will allow for quick attachment to the data cable. I can tell now that continually screwing and unscrewing the connector is going to exhaust my patience before too long.

I have mixed feelings about the backlight coming on. In bright sunshine the backlight is unnecessary, but it all other conditions I've seen so far the backlight improves readability nicely. The downside, of course, is the hit on battery life. I'm going along with the 30 second timer, and I'm getting used to thinking of my first button push as a wake-up prod.

Having a used a Sportrak Color for so long, that is almost second nature to me. Plus, when ever I am using DR, I am hooked to external power so there is no issue with the backlight draining the battery. I definitely think the auto backlight is a good thing. If nothing else, it's a visual cue that you need to be doing something. I'd hate it if it didn't do that.

--Marky

Hmm.. can't get my computer to recognize my GPS.

I plug in the GPS and the communication screen even comes up. Says "Unit is in the USB File Transfer Mode. Communicating with the host machine." but when I try to send waypoint via the geocache manager, I get an error that says my GPS can't be found.

I grimace at the thought of having to call tech support.

The cable is in the "cable down" position, as it is supposed to be, but I even tried the other way to make sure I didn't have it backwards. No luck.

Conversion Manager gives me the same error screen.

I have tried to mess with the driver, even specifying to Windows that the driver is on the CD, (it says there is a driver) but Windows says it can't find a driver on the CD. Where else can I point Windows to find the driver?

Jamie

Small world. I just finished posting this same problem.

I don't remember if I tried your method, but I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for posting it.

Fingers crossed.

I can tell now that continually screwing and unscrewing the connector is going to exhaust my patience before too long.

I second that vote. I hope someone comes out with a cable that attaches without all the screwing around. I don't understand why they felt they needed a cable that you all but welded to the 500.

I have backed off of the battery issue, after reading how small the battery is and thinking that, perhaps, AA's might have squeezed out the SD card (or am I mistaken there?).

I still haven't. The 100/200/300 all use AAs; so if there wasn't enough room to add SD, then make the units just a tad bit larger. Magellan knew from the start of their eXplorist project that they'd be releasing six units to the public and that all of them would use the same case. It's obvious that case size had nothing to do with it or they would've designed one that did. For whatever reasons, they were bent on marrying this newer technology with a rechargeable lithium power source. Funny how Garmin managed to do it with standard AA batteries; and with substantially greater battery life.

Garmin doesn't do an SD card. I wonder if an SD card consumes a large amount of memory and thats why the 60cs can last so much longer on a set of batt's? I would be surprised if a pair of AA's contained more power than the rechargeable li-ion that magellan is using in this unit.

I like the rechargeable battery. I have had a foretrex 201 for almost a year now. My brother has probably spent as much in disposable batterys since then for his etrex as I paid for my foretrex. Garmin also makes the foretrex 101 with the only difference being that it takes aaa's. Its a 1/4" thicker, I like the thinner size of the 201. I carry a AA battery pack that my foretrex can charge from. That battery pack can also charge my ipaq, phone, and camera.

Someone complained about how often there aa's went dead in the field and used it as a justification against a rechargeable battery. If you put new aa's in your unit everytime you left home, how often would you have to change batterys in the field? Thats essentially what your doing with the rechargeable unit.

I just finished posting this same problem.

I don't remember if I tried your method, but I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for posting it.

Snap,

I think I narrowed down the problem to me plugging in the GPS before I had loaded the proper drivers from the CD. My system saw the GPS as a generic drive and loaded what it thought was the correct driver as such.

When I did install the correct driver, my system ignored it. The fix was this:

Start-->Settings-->System-->Device Manager-->[expand] Universal Serial Bus controllers

Under the USB controllers I had a device labeled USB storage drive or something, referring to the Explorist. I highlighted that "drive" and clicked on Remove.

Then, I disconnected the GPS, reinstalled the Explorist CD, then plugged in my GPS. This time, a popup appeared that said that it had found the Explorist 500. Everything worked after that.

I use Windows Me. Your system may be slightly different.

Jamie

I seem to be confused as how to display a geocache file on the map screen. The first time I experimented with the geocache manager and sent a geocache file to the GPS, they geocache icons appeared on my map. I deleted that file to do some more experimentation, and now I can't get the geocache icons to show on the map.

I have double-checked the map settings to display geocaches.

Do I have to move the file somewhere? Does it have to be in a certain folder or something?

Jamie

I like the rechargeable battery. I have had a foretrex 201 for almost a year now. My brother has probably spent as much in disposable batterys since then for his etrex as I paid for my foretrex. Garmin also makes the foretrex 101 with the only difference being that it takes aaa's. Its a 1/4" thicker, I like the thinner size of the 201. I carry a AA battery pack that my foretrex can charge from. That battery pack can also charge my ipaq, phone, and camera.

Someone complained about how often there aa's went dead in the field and used it as a justification against a rechargeable battery. If you put new aa's in your unit everytime you left home, how often would you have to change batterys in the field? Thats essentially what your doing with the rechargeable unit.

I have a Forerunner 201 which I use for urban walks. So, I don't mind the Li-Ion battery for this use, because my walks will never outlast the battery charge. The one drawback to this unit is the sealed battery. I most thoroughly hate that. That's why I don't own an iPod.

The only reason I went with this unit, was because it was on clearance at Target for $76.69 after taxes. I picked up three of them (myself and my two sons). I'll get at least two years use out of this unit (1 yr Garmin warranty and 1 yr credit card warranty). Anything after that is a bonus, as I have no intention of paying some outrageous price to have the battery replaced when it finally dies.

If I had to pay full price for these units, I never would've gotten them. In this instance, I can live with a sealed battery and feel that I've gotten my money's worth.

Stunod...I'm not sure, but you may be the 1st 600 owner on these forums.

Are you aware of the responsibility you've undertaken? Can you fathom the demands that will be put upon you? Are you up to the task?

Hope you enjoy the new toy.

J.

Aw, carp....I dropped it in a river already <_<

Stunod...I'm not sure, but you may be the 1st 600 owner on these forums. 

Are you aware of the responsibility you've undertaken?  Can you fathom the demands that will be put upon you?  Are you up to the task? 

Hope you enjoy the new toy.

J.

Aw, carp....I dropped it in a river already <_<

You're not going to escape your responsibilities that easily. Jump in there and recover the damned thing!

Ooh!!!  I just checked my tracking number and my 600 is on a Fed-Ex truck out for delivery TODAY!!!!

(I caved in and canceled my TigerGPS order and went with REI)

I should have done that... Grrrr

--Marky

Should I refrain from posting pictures, Marky? I don't want to make you jealous :lol:

I checked my tracking with UPS today, and my Explorist 600 is on the truck for delivery... I also went with REI after ditching Tiger.... Now all I have to do is get through work until 4:30, or come up with a good excuse to go home early :lol:

I'll see about posting some photos tonight... If the others don't get around to it.... Any photo requests?

The first question I'll ask the 600 crowd that the 500 crowd hasn't been able to answer yet is "does the compass now sensibly automatically turn on when the speed drops below X and use GPS tracking when the speed is above X"? In the absence of that, is there now a single key to toggle between compass and gps course instead of tunneling through several menus?

This is something we Plat users have requested about a billion times.

The first question I'll ask the 600 crowd that the 500 crowd hasn't been able to answer yet is "does the compass now sensibly automatically turn on when the speed drops below X and use GPS tracking when the speed is above X"? In the absence of that, is there now a single key to toggle between compass and gps course instead of tunneling through several menus?

This is something we Plat users have requested about a billion times.

I'd be happy to answer that question for the 500 group, but I don't understand what you mean about the companss turning on and the reference to speed. Forgive my newbie-ness.

OK, I'm trying to see if there's a way to delete a geocache POI once it's been found, or something to clear it out. I can't find a way to delete or do anything with the geocache POI's except view them. Am I missing something? I hope so, because I don't like the implications I'm considering.

I can't find a way to delete or do anything with the geocache POI's except view them. Am I missing something? I hope so, because I don't like the implications I'm considering.

From what I can tell (and I think I read this somewhere too.. but who knows where) that Geocache POIs can't be edited once in the GPS. That's bad.

Am I the only one who noticed that you can't change the coordinate format to anything but DDD°MM.mmm? Not so bad for us geocachers, but what about the hunters and fishers who use something else to jive with their maps?

Jamie

OK, I'm trying to see if there's a way to delete a geocache POI once it's been found, or something to clear it out. I can't find a way to delete or do anything with the geocache POI's except view them. Am I missing something? I hope so, because I don't like the implications I'm considering.

I have not tried to delete a POI, but when you select it, a menu appears with a delet option on it.

Am I the only one who noticed that you can't change the coordinate format to anything but DDD°MM.mmm? Not so bad for us geocachers, but what about the hunters and fishers who use something else to jive with their maps?

Jamie

I stumbled across those somewhere...try menu/preferences/map units. Hit Lat/Lon and it will bring up choices between three decimal arrangements.

Tucked away compared to the Meridian, isn't it?

Edited by embra
I have not tried to delete a POI, but when you select it, a menu appears with a delet option on it.

Yup, you can do that with "My Points of Interest" items, but the geocache POIs seem to be untouchable. That is a drag, because once you've found something and are no longer interested in it, it's going to stick around and haunt you until you upload a new file. Boo.

We'd better start making a list of things needed for the next firmware revision, and start lobbying. I worry here a bit, because Magellan has *not* been responsive to Meridian firmware requests over the last year. My hope here is that the neglect was due to getting the Explorists out the door, and that they'll continue to pay some attention to this.

I can't find a way to delete or do anything with the geocache POI's except view them.  Am I missing something?  I hope so, because I don't like the implications I'm considering.

From what I can tell (and I think I read this somewhere too.. but who knows where) that Geocache POIs can't be edited once in the GPS. That's bad.

Jamie

The geocaching piece does look like a last minute add-on. Even has spelling mistakes - Locationless show up as reverse virutul, Mystery and Earthcaches show up as Unknow Cache without a different icon and I can't see anyway to delete them or mark them as found or do anything else with individual ones on the GPS. Regular POI's can be edited, deleted, moved or copied to another folder. It would only make sense to be able to do the same with Geocache Points.

But at least you can change the coordinate format. It's under Preferences/Map Units/Coord System. Looks like all the same options as the Meridian

The first question I'll ask the 600 crowd that the 500 crowd hasn't been able to answer yet is "does the compass now sensibly automatically turn on when the speed

I'd be happy to answer that question for the 500 group, but I don't understand what you mean about the companss turning on and the

Thanx. It's not that the 500 group has been unforthcoming with info. It's that the 500 doesn't have a compass which is the feature I'm asking about. :-)

Is this a new capability? SOmebody in the Yahoo Meridian group asked about long waypoint routes, so I tried this:

1. I tried to make a long point-to-point route in DirectRoute with a longish autoroute that I converted to a waypoint route (24 legs).

2. I saved the waypoint/route in a file, and used the Conversion Manager to send it to the explorist.

3. On activating the route, I was asked if I wanted street or point=to-point. I chose street and got a 24 leg street route!

I don't think I could do this on the Meridian. I still have one here, so I guess I can try it, but I'm kinda busy tonight. However, it implies that you can create a custom route in DR on the computer, and the explorist will give you the same detailed instructions as on an autoroute. I would expect the 49 leg limit remains in effect, but using multiple routes should take a person pretty far.

BTW, Robert, your backchanneled suspicion was right. When I loaded a 500 POI file into My POIs, an autoroute lacked detailed street information. The geocache POIs are treated differently than other POIs in the Explorist, such that they don't count against the 200 POI message limit. So even if you can't delete 'em :D at least you can still create autoroutes unencumbered by them. :lol:

I agree with everyone that the Geocache waypoints cannot be modified, moved or deleted in the eXplorist the way standard waypoints (POIs) can be. The Geocache waypoint file is created in the Geocache Manager software and has the .gs extension. The manager will only send the file to the unit, it will not let you save it on your computer. Of course you can copy it back. It is a text file with commas, so can be modified easily.

The standard waypoint files are in the Meridian format and can be created/converted in GPSBabel/GSAK You need to save them with a .upt extension for the eXplorist to recognize the file.

The Routes are saved in separate files, not included in the waypoint file like the Meridian. The Route file will have all of the waypoints in the route and a line with all of the waypoints listed in order.

Yes, Embra, if it works the way you describe, that would indeed be new. It would be the solution for the (geocachers|motorcyclists) that want to plan a route ahead of time and get the benefits of street routing. Nice find that negates one of the FRF's (frequently fequested features/frequently recorded frustrations) of DR on the Meridian/ST units.. (Yay! )

I kind of trolled Embra into checking in to how to delete Geocache waypoints as you find them. Caching with a Magellan, deleting points as you go was the only way to mark them as "found" to get them off your map as you went and was something I did all the time.

Escout, that last sentece describes how Meridian SD file routes are stored, so there must be a devil in those details. Sounds like another work item for that GPSBabel guy.

I think I have to back off that "discovery" at least for a while. While I was delighted to see the same 24-leg street route recreated from the waypoint route data, it may be no more than the street route program taking the starting and ending waypoints and creating a street route on the fly like it usually does. I rather expect that's what happened. I'll make a manual route that deviates from the autorouting suggestion, and see if I get anything different.