Scariest / Creepiest Things While Cacheing?

Following on from Alibags' comments about freaky mist in a photo (here)), that got me thinking... what's the scariest or creepiest thing that has happened, or you have seen, while cacheing?

Our cache, Creepy Canewdon, has had a few interesting logs and photos. (Actually, some time after we left the cache, Most Haunted did a live show there! Definately not a place for a night cache!! :(

Anyone got any more?

Brad

Scariest has to be finding ourselves in the middle of a phasant/bird shoot while retriving one of Simply Pauls caches in Bucks, sorry can't remember which one it was. There were no warnings, or signs on the footpaths warning us what was going on.

The cache was in a little hollow while the birds were flying over with people with shotguns looking down the hill at us! :lol: Not a situation i want to find myself in again.

I found a night cache last night, which takes one quite a ways into the dark and scary woods, and grabbed the Full Steam Ahead TB. I put it in my jacket pocket while walking back to the car. About halfway back I hear the freakiest noise, a sort of whistling screamy crackly noise that seems to be coming from the trees to my right. I jump and start flashing my light around in panic, my heart going like mad. After a few seconds of near heart attack, I tracked the noise to my own pocket - that TB, once you push the smokestack, whistles like a steam boiler for about 2 minutes.

-p

Mine was while planting Kielder Skyspace. I was on my way back to the car, about a mile walk along a typical Kielder track. The time was about 3am.. pitch black, very little ambient light about so resorted to using my torch.

Then, there they were, a pair of bright orange eyes, at least they seemed to be orange. Far enough away for what ever it was to be in shadow, but close enough to reflect the light of my torch.

They were looking at me and I was looking at them. I dont scare easy but had that sensation down my back and the hairs on back back of neck rise. That "ooh Err! feeling. Ten seconds later they were gone, and so was I !!!!! sharpish like. :huh:

Any experts on the colour of reflected eyes of the indigenous species of the UK. I think it may have been a fox but decided not to investigate.. well it was late and I was tired :huh:

Moss T

I had stopped off from a long drive one afternoon in December 01 and started to walk to the cache Oh! Deer through a lovely Country House park.

The light was fading fast at about at 4pm in the mid-Winter afternoon and the rapidly cooling air had brought down a dense mist. I was completely alone - apart from hundreds of eyes following me - lots and lots of deer. Feeling more and more nervous, I walked faster.

I walked briskly through the crisp chill air and zeroed in on the cache. "It has to be there".....looking around me, still alone.....I reached out....and.....the church bells rang out to strike 4 O'clock. I leapt nearly as many feet!

I finished quickly and returned to the car at double speed as the light completely faded.

Great thread, started from my rather flippant comment elsewhere. In the same spirit...

The scariest cache I have done was "It's Great Tew Tree Here" when I zipped there to grab a Jeep. It was pitch black, dead quiet and I was skulking around a graveyard. When I found the cache I say with my back to the church door to fill in the log and on the way out, my footsteps got quicker and quicker before a vault over the wall to get out! LOL! Just like when you are a kid and you turn the bedroom light out and then sprint to dive under the covers before the monsters that live under your bed get you.

On the subject of eyes and what they may be, I have actually seen an ABC (alien big cat) on two separate occasions. This was over towards West Berks between Wallingford and Goring. The first time I got a short look at it, and the second time, some weeks later I had a very good view and was able to observe it for quite some time. It looked like a sandy coloured puma or mountain lion. I didn't report it to the police (but did to the British Big cat society) but there are generally 500 ABC reports per year in the UK.

Enjoy your caching! :lol:

We (well me Pengy) isn`t scared of anything...

I`ve had my head under a bush in full bloom full of a swarm of bees, agreed I had to move very slowly not to make the bees sting me, but got the cache in the end. Fallen out of a tree whilst placing a cache. Wandered around graveyards in the dark. Nearly ran into someone walking down a path in the pitch black. Hung from tree roots off a cliff. Did the "Don`t look down" cache at breakneck speed.

But the worst one was "Access all Areas", where I lost my Etrex Vista, that was the scariest moment I`ve even had caching. Found it in the end, but that had me in a cold sweat.... :lol:

Pengy