How Do You "close" A Deal?

tholt4

I may list my GPS for sale but am not sure how to close a deal where I would ship my GPS on faith that the buyer will send the funds or if I was buying that the equipment would be shipped and work as advertised. How do you guys do it? I would be expecially leery of selling to a user who just joined a few days ago. :(

PAYPAL...it is secure (relative to the rest of the world anyway), cheap, fast, and if you get stiffed you can appeal and get your money. I've heard people worry about the security of paypal, but it is certainly more secure than giving your credit card to a waiter in a restaurant, or a salesperson in a store, or sending a check or money order through the mail.

Edited by NFA

Since you are just as stupid to send your money without some assurance you will get the GPS you are stuck with one party or the other working on blind faith.

Or you can use an escrow service. Sometimes if the seller was willing to use the escrow service I'd not use it and take the chance. If they are not willing to use it and I'm not willing to lose the money. No deal. It's saved my skin before.

There are a lot of cachers I'd trust in the forums so...it depends.

Edited by Renegade Knight

US Postal Money Order. If its lost or they didn't receive it, wait 30 days and go back to the post office and fill out some form to request a refund. They'll research it (may take weeks) and figure when/where it was cashed. Or if they can't find it you'll be given a refund (I actually expect many money orders are similar but postal ones can be done at any PO its lot easier.)

Paypal works too, and is a LOT faster. Though you have to go threw setting it up , etc. Also, there are some horror story sites about paypal out that might scare you. I've not read the TOS/usage for paypal in full but apperently if paypal has any problems with your account (disputes, someone sends you money with stolen/fraud CC) they can freeze your account, and any money you have stored there for up to six months. They do not have to respond to your inquires about when/why your frozen. Do not have to 'hear your side' of disputes, and arbitration decisions are final. (at least thats what one of those horror story sites says)

Still though two clicks and its paid it so FAST.

Ltljon,

It's a Legend with PC cable, original box, manual and quick guide upgraded to 3.7 firmware. (Didn't really need 3.7 but did it cause I could). I've got

$200.00 I've been saving since Christmas and the $50.00 rebates now available on certain Garmin products may be the kicker for me to upgrade, I've been thinking of getting a 60C or 60CS but have until July before the rebate expires. Really, for what I use a GPS for, the Legend is all I need.

If you choose to use eBay you can state you only accept PayPal and that keeps everyone happy. I do a little selling and have done alot buying there with nary a problem. The legend seems to be going for around $130 there. You lose about $10 bucks between eBay fees and PayPal fees but the security is worth it.

Money Order is best; PayPal is second choice (because you lose a bit of $ in the process unless you adjust the price to cover it). Keep all correspondence related to the transaction for a few months after the deal is done; this includes e-mail messages. I just sold a tri-band Amateur Radio transceiver to a guy who sent a money order, and I shipped the radio the day the MO was received here.

A bunch of other people inquired about the radio, asking that if the first buyer backed out they be notified so they could then buy it. I kept all of those e-mails in a separate folder in my e-mail program, partly because I have another radio like the one I sold, and may decide to sell that one as well.

Back to the GPS sale, I agree that you should not ship until you have the MO in hand. It used to be that you could trust just about anybody for almost any amount of money within reason, but that (unfortunately) is no longer the case.