New Palm owner

st_richardson

delorme xmap and topo 4 allow you to put waypoints, maps and routing directly on the hand held. maps can be put on the card and with such a BIG card, you can put Big maps on. delorme stuff however, has a very annoying and hard to use user interface so it will take a while to learn to navigate. finally for actually finding a cache, cetus gps which is free cant be beat. you can get the .loc file from the pocket querry and run it through warm fuzzy's converter and synch them right onto a palm. i do 450 at a time and have the e book and waypoints in cetus. this all assumes that you are gonna get a gps for the palm, if not, just put the e book from the pocket querry on.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2000.jpg

I find GeoNiche to be a much better program than CetusGPS. It was designed for geocaching, and has some nice features such as cache notes and a hint decoder. The only problem I have with it is that you can't use it with EasyGPS (although a new release is coming soon...maybe it will be included then).

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

I find GeoNiche to be a much better program than CetusGPS.

Well, except for the fact that the guy who wrote it doesn't want me to support its waypoint format in my waypoint converter, even though I'm not asking him to do any work. I've already reverse-engineered the format of the databases, and I might just support it anyway, but I'll never use it because "Ray Dar" isn't interested in the community part of Geocaching.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

I've recently purchased a palm m130 with 128mg memory card.

I'm looking for useful programs and tips.

Thanks.

I wrote this one to make notes and such 'in the field' while geocaching.

GeocachingDB

It does not have GPS functions like the previous programs do, but I like it. icon_smile.gif

how4.gif No matter where you go... There you are!

NTGA member

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

Looks interesting and very usefull. Can you down load info? The only drawback I see is the time to enter data.

not at this time... I use cut and paste for the heavy data input

usually from avantgo page, mobipocket, or just the note pad from pc synced to the palm.

If the GPX format becomes available on geocaching perhaps I could use this to load the info in a PC conduit and sync to palm.

how4.gif No matter where you go... There you are!

NTGA member

I've just recently inherited a Palm IIIc and the first thing I thought about doing with it is connecting it to my Etrex Venture and making GeoCaching a lot easier. I had a lot of ideas in my head about what would be possible of one combined a Palm and a GPS. So far, most of them are still just ideas.

What I'm finding is that while many small utilities exist that each do some tiny little thing, one needs to have three to five separate utilities just to cover most of the bases. And even then, you're forced to do some heavy data entry.

The ideal Palm Geocaching tool should, in my opinion, combine the following:

1. Conduit support for downloading complete cache data. (if I wanted to enter everything manually, I'd just bring a paper notebook)

2. Moving map display with hotsync-downloadable basemaps

3. Full cache data(waypoint, name, type, description, difficulty, hint text...) which is instantly available by clicking on the waypoint position.

GeoNiche seems great except for:

1. lack of waypoint info upload capability

2. limited waypoint information, though Notes feature certainly helps.

3. limited waypoint icon options.

4. touching waypoint icon doesn't bring up waypoint info.

5. lack of basemap support (biggest wishlist feature here, but most optional, IMO)

Add those features and I'd gladly register GeoNiche for $50, as opposed to the asking price of $24.95

GeoCacheDB definitely seems to have the waypoint information storage I'm looking for, but lacks any map capability or waypoint info hotsync ability. If this could be integrated somehow with GeoNiche, it could form the basis for an outstanding GeoCaching application

GPilotS, at the very least, allows me to download waypoint info from my GPS, but my GPS didn't store all that much data about each waypoint in the first place... It also lacks basemap download and *seriously* limits the information that can be stored concerning each waypoint.

It wouldn't be so frustrating to have a need for a large collection of programs if it were simply possible to have them all reference a single database file of waypoint information so one could hotsync one file and update the data for all such programs.

It's starting to look like I'm going to have to get into programming my own Palm GPS application just to integrate the features I want and cut down on duplication of effort. That'll take forever.

Heh, I've already got a .LOC-to-.GPX script for my own use. I have my email program download the Palm Queries, run the converter script, post the updated information to a SQL database, then I have a separate script to generate a GPX file from the SQL database. (Hm. I wonder what it would take to generate a PDB from scratch...)

Magellan makes a Palm Companion GPS [uSD$100 after rebate] that rides on the Palm. Mapopolis has good maps for the US and Canada that load into the Palm. It's possible to jigger the .loc file from the custom queries to form a file of waypoints that can be superimposed on the Mapopolis maps [uS but not Canada] -- so you wind up with maps, GPS, and cache descriptions all in your Palm.

Some glitches along the way, so it's not a perfect combination, but pretty good.

Kenrath Wrote:

quote:
GeoNiche seems great except for:

1. lack of waypoint info upload capability

2. limited waypoint information, though Notes feature certainly helps.

3. limited waypoint icon options.

There is a new version of GeoNiche that addresses these issues.

The new version can import geocaches, with the description of the cache going into the notes you mentioned. There are also ten new icons, seven of which are specifically for geocaching.

The new version is at palmgear.com

((RayDar))

Hi,

I've got a Palm Vx hooked up to a Rand McNally StreetFinder GPS. I don't use the StreetFinder app myself, instead I use MarcoSoft's QuoVadis.

It doesn't provide route planning, but it does have an extensive set of vector based maps and very shortly GPSBabel will have support for adding waypoints to the Marker database.

What I do is use QuoVadis for moving map and navigating to within walking distance of the cache, then use Cetus for getting me the final distance. I also have MobiPocket installed and I have my PocketQueries generate eBooks so I can read up on the cache.

The only inconvenient part so far is that there are several steps involved in getting my most recent set of waypoints down to my Vx. Fortunately it should be amenable to a quick and dirty script and then all will be well.

Cheers,

Bruce.

I have a Palm m515 with a Magellan GPS Companion. I use GPX Spinner and Plucker for viewing cache pages. It works much better than Mobipocket and several other programs that I have tried. You can sort caches in several different ways and on the cache page it shows the cache info very close to the GC.com format, last 5 logs, hints (tap to decode), and the nearest 5 caches (configurable to whatever you want). GPX Spinner also creates a 'spun' cache file that you can use EasyGPS to send to your standard GPS. With it you can setup ignore lists, change waypoint icons for different types of caches, change wapoint name format and more. You must setup your pocket query to send a GPX file though.

For the GPS Companion, I use Cetus GPS. I download the waypoints using GPS Babel to convert from GPX format to Cetus format. I haven't tried the latest version of GeoNiche, but Cetus is free and I'm cheap.

Another great program is Watcher for your PC. You can browse cache pages offline from GPX files send through your pocket query. This is much faster (but not real time and won't show info posted since the last GPX file creation) but you can setup filters to hide caches from view in many different ways, sort in different ways, merge GPX files, and search for cache info.

I also bought a RhinoSkins aluminum case that the Palm is usually in that fits in my pants pocket. It has saved the Palm a couple times. I normally cache with a Garmin III+ GPS, but I carry the GPS Companion in my shirt pocket in case I want to use it when I'm in the cache area and want a 'second opinion'. Going paperless with GPX Spinner/Plucker is really great. No more old cache pages with outdated info (Cache Archived for instance) and it's much lighter and easier to use. Also I use the Memo Pad to store my cache log and just copy it to the log form when I'm entering a log on GC.com. I have the Palm folding keyboard that the 515 sits on for typing cache logs on the hood of the Jeep when I get back to it from finding a cache. Hope this helps.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

I have a Lowrance Globalnav 212 that I have had for a few years. I know nothing at all about PDA's, but since the Globalnav 212 isn't map capable, I have looked around for a used, inexpensive PDA JUST to use with the GPSr for a map view. Would an older Casio or Palm III wourk?

Hi,

The biggest issue a Palm III would run into would be the limited memory in the III. 2MB isn't all that much space for maps, etc. My Vx has 8 MB and it feels overcrowded with Quo Vadis+maps+500 Markers and Cetus+waypoints and Plucker+cache descriptions.

So much so in fact that I've relegated the Vx to GPSr functions only and pulled out my HandEra 330 (it was, um, handy - pardon the pun) for Plucker.

There was a version of the Rand-McNally Streetfinder GPS that clipped onto the Palm III form factor. It's out of production now, but you may be able to find it on eBay or Amazon used.

Personally, I'd recommend getting a device with an SD slot. One of the newer Zires or an M130 or M515 would do the trick nicely. I believe the newer Magellon Companions will clip onto these.

Cheers,

Bruce.

[This message was edited by Thompson Family on July 04, 2003 at 11:14 PM.]