2 Questions

a bit more info pls

i would like to know how to put aan avatar next to my name ( a photograph of jess).........please make it simple as i am computer illiterate lol

and talking about jess i was reading in the forums about people who have made there dogs travel bugs.........i would really like to do this just by attaching a bug to jess's collar

i think it would be great for you all to know she was a bug and meet me in the "field" one day and you try to log her and me saying catch her if ya can lmao

anyway is this a good idea or not.......

any help appreciated

and talking about jess i was reading in the forums about people who have made there dogs travel bugs.........i would really like to do this just by attaching a bug to jess's collar

i think it would be great for you all to know she was a bug and meet me in the "field" one day and you try to log her and me saying catch her if ya can lmao

anyway is this a good idea or not.......

any help appreciated

It is a good idea - Chris and Maria did it with their dog and I did it with my car. It's a novel way of tracking caching mileage and gives the dog exerise.

The downside is that you've got to log the TB in and out of every cache you visit.

a bit more info pls

i would like to know how to put aan avatar next to my name ( a photograph of jess).........please make it simple as i am computer illiterate lol

Have fun with this...

Click on your username beside the first post on this thread

Click on "Edit Avatar Settings"

Click on "Account Settings"

Click on your Profile Statistics to view your profile

Click on "Edit Your Profile"

Half way down you'll see avatar settings

Go in there and you can upload an avatar from your local machine

Then make sure it shows in your profile, and head back to the forums.

It may take a few hours to update, but bear with it! :D

hi again,

yes that was the kind of thing i meant, if people would log jess's tb when we were at geo meetings or out at caches then we would grab her back, i did not mean for her to be logged into every cache we went to i do not want to use her as a mileage guide kind of thing,

we have only had 2 tb's and had a bit of a problem with them (it was my fault i did not know what i was doing) but the people concerned were very nice and helpful about it.

so now where do i get a travel bug from and how do i make a nice page like the one you have for chester?

thank you for your help about the avatar too, i still could not get it to work, not your instructions but downloading the actual picture from my computer to the avatar page, it kept saying it did not use that kind of software but i will keep trying

if all fails i have the picture on computer would i be able to email it to someone and them do the avatar for me........sorry im really not too hot with these dam things

thanks again both of you for all your help

mandy

we just need a tb now for jess if anyone can help us and some help making a web page like Chester's

any more advice

Making a web page just like Chester's is pretty simple.

1. Goto the GC.com home page and click on "track travel bugs" on menu on left of screen.

2. Click on "activate your travel bug" on right of screen.

3. Enter your tracking number and activation code (these will come with your TB).

4. Then all you need to do is add the "name" of the TB its "mission" and a "description" of the TB, then enter the activation date (should already be there) and the location activated ie United Kingdom.

5. If you want to add a picture go to your TB's web page and click on "upload an image" and browse to the picture on your PC and select "Make this the default image for this Travel Bug" so that it shows on the web page.

As for getting the TB there are two or three on-line retailers selling them:

global positioning systems

Finger Technology

ebay

Edited by Phillimore Clan

i have just been on ebay there are lots of travel bugs for sale 99p each buy now which is ok..............until you see £3.00 to £4.00 postage and packaging!!

how do they justify that!!

i run a printing business from home, and i post 1000 business cards on heavy card for £4.27 including a posting box

those posting prices are a rip off!!

i will keep looking until i see something more reasonable

the 3 that are currently on ebay for 99p (buy-it-now) + £3 p&p means that the total is £3.99. I don't think that this is a bad total price (fingertech price is £4.25 plus standard £5 postage).

The reason for charging 99p and loading the postage is to reduce the sellers ebay fees, which are a percentage of the selling price, but not including the postage. Whether this is scrupulous or not depends on your point of view.

thanks very much "chester's clan"

i will try to get a hold of a travel bug asap.............then have a go at the website

thanks again for all your help, i really want to do this now chester's website is fab!

i think this is a great idea.........

:):) Your so kind, but I'm sure its not that good. :DB)

Something we have also done is to create a souvenir calling card for Chester to hand out when he meets other cacher's. On this card is his tracking number which saves peps having to wright it down. Should be a piece of cake for you if you run a printing business.

that pic is sooo funny hofb

when i was booking our geocamp i went and had a look at boo's website he / she is such a pretty thing and those ears lol

i honestly thought the first time i saw that pic it was a cow :)

did you get my email to you (private one) about geo camp?

hubby says if we are going to cause you probs we will just put sons pup tent inside of the awning

any more doggies coming to say hi......the more the merrier

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

We thought the dog Tb was a great idea too, until last night, when we attached the tag to Charlie Parker's collar but within an hour it was driving us mad!

She already has two discs on her collar and adding the TB tag, meant the sound of chimes whereever she goes - well we certaingly won't lose her out caching again!

We may have to think up some sort of divider for all the dog's ID tags!

Just do a search for Army ID tag rubbers, there not dear, and fit around the edge without hiding the details on them. And stop the clanking they make.

Dave

Clinking dog tags is a problem, although you do get used to it. We have been trying to find a solution without much success, but this seems to be just what we need thanks :) .

The cheapest place to get them seems to be on ebay as the p&p charges are more reasonable than the army surplus stores who are charging a minimum £5 p&p :) . We just got a pair for 90p incl p&p

Hmm. If a dog can be a travel bug... and a car can be a travel bug... can a girlfriend be a travel bug?

No reason why not, but she might have a couple of problems with it:

They're called "Dog Tags" - no girl likes to be called a dog!

The tags are made of aluminium, not exactly the most exotic of materials, although you could probably get Tiffanys to knock you up a diamond encrusted platinum tag for her.

Just do a search for Army ID tag rubbers, there not dear, and fit around the edge without hiding the details on them. And stop the clanking they make.

Dave

Clinking dog tags is a problem, although you do get used to it. We have been trying to find a solution without much success, but this seems to be just what we need thanks :rolleyes: .

The cheapest place to get them seems to be on ebay as the p&p charges are more reasonable than the army surplus stores who are charging a minimum £5 p&p :grin: . We just got a pair for 90p incl p&p

Received the Dog Tag Silencers today and they work well, no more clinking tags :(