Cheap Mapping Gps?

-Dozer-

Hi,

I've been scanning the forums for about a month now and I believe I'm ready to take the plunge into geocaching. Which gps units with the map are you guys happy using? I would like to stay as cheap as possible due to a tight budget.

I like the looks of the Magellan Sport Track... any idea of where to buy them?

I've had an eTrex Vista for three years now, and I don't see any compelling geocaching reasons to upgrade. The latest crop of mapping GPS units from GARMIN have more memory and faster processors than the original eTrex series, but unless you run VERY fast I don't see the need for a faster processor :laughing: .

The Legend is identical to the Vista in most respects except that it has less memory (8mb vs 24mb if memory serves) and doesn't have the altimeter and electronic compass. If you search through the forum archives you will find multiple arguments for and against these added features - in my own experience I've used them only rarely. Since the Legend is now "trailing edge" technology you will probably find some good deals on it. And these GPS units are tough - a used GPS could turn out to be your best bargain.

As far as where to buy, I'd look online first. The local retail stores in my area (Sports Authority, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, EMS) all charge higher prices than I've seen online, including shipping. I've had good luck with www.tvnav.com.

You don't give a lot of requirements to go by.. but if what you want are 1)cheap as possible and 2) mapping, then:

Probably cheapest for that is the Magellan Explorist 200. It has a basemap and 8mb internal memory, but no memory chip interface or PC connectivity.

Next up would be iFinder basic. It has a builtin basic background map, and also accepts MMC memory cards so if in future you want to add highly detailed maps you can purchase & add that later. You're not gonna find anything else even close to it's price that supports maps & memory cards.

Check www.gpscity.com for good comparative models & pricing

The best deal I have seen on a Mapping GPS is the Magellan Sport Track MAP at Radio Shack on clearance for $169.99and Magellan has a rebate on there web site for another $30.00 off.

The Yellow e-trex that Zingerhead mentioned in not a mapping GPS

The Expolorist 200 the IVxIV mentioned with have base map, but it will not support a deteialed map display.

The yellow eTrex is the best for a really tight budget. People seem to find it very durable and reliable.

Yellow etrex doesn't have mapping...

That's what I get for scanning the question! :laughing: The rest of my answer still applies though.

I have made the same mistake, I am not very good at speed reading. Unless there are pictures to look at. :laughing:

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Garmin eTrex Legend with PC Cable - $127.38 and this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

When I checked that link the price I got for the Legend was $169.87 or $139.99 for a used Legend. On the new one they say "with cable" I hope so as the cable is standerd with the Legend. $139.99 for a used one is to much money.

Edit ti add: A used one will not even have a factory warrnaty.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The price you saw was the Need it today? Available for in-store pickup from $169.87. Thats the price they give for stores that carry it.

Buying directly from Amazon.com it is 127.38 right now. You actually have to add it to your cart to see their price. They are on sale right now.

Its actually comical that you can buy one new for 127.38 and they advertise used ones for 139.99.

Edited by Team VanderTroll-BR

The Sportrak Pro and the Legend are great and I have them both - both do mapping.

The Sportrak Map does not have enough memory to upload maps to. I had the Map and traded it in for the Pro so I could upload maps. It does have a good base map but not street maps.

So to be specific I guess you can say the ST Map doesn't do mapping either, if you define mapping as the ability to upload maps.

As far as the lowest prices - I got the Legend at Amazon for about $130 and just got a Garmin 60cs for under $400 at Amazon - have been watching prices for several weeks and Amazon has consistently had the lower prices and free shipping to boot.

But, I would say in general that cheap and mapping are mutually exclusive and not found in the same GPS.

cc

If the Explorist has no PC interface or SD card interface, how do you put maps into it? What good is 8MB of memory if you can't use it? I must be missing something.

Edit: Ah, the Magellan site makes it clearer. It has 8MB of memory for tracks, waypoints, etc, and a built-in basemap, but no way to add detailed maps. So what's the street price of one of these? Just curious, I'm not in the market. It should sell for a good bit less than a Legend, since it has less capability.

Edited by NightPilot

The Sportrak Map does not have enough memory to upload maps to.  I had the Map and traded it in for the Pro so I could upload maps.  It does have a good base map but not street maps.

So to be specific I guess you can say the ST Map doesn't do mapping either, if you define mapping as the ability to upload maps.

This is not true, the Sport track map has 6MB of memory for loading detailed maps, I know I have one. I don't know were you are getting your informtion. You may be confused with the reg Sport Track.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
The price you saw was the Need it today? Available for in-store pickup from $169.87. Thats the price they give for stores that carry it.

Buying directly from Amazon.com it is 127.38 right now. You actually have to add it to your cart to see their price. They are on sale right now.

Its actually comical that you can buy one new for 127.38 and they advertise used ones for 139.99.

thanks for clearing that up

Ok, thanks for the info so far guys...

I think I like the blue Garmin Legend as well. Can anyone here that has one tell me what you like LEAST and MOST about this unit?

I like the Legends size, easy one handed operation, screen resolution, intuitive menus, mapping (with Mapsource Topo on it), battery life and good reception.

I won't say I dislike these but its relatively small memory, lack of a magnetic compass and sensitivity to the positon its held in aren't pros.

I think I like the blue Garmin Legend as well. Can anyone here that has one tell me what you like LEAST and MOST about this unit?

There are two things I do not like about the Legend, that is the placement of the buttons on the side of the unit were you can not see them.

Re software, I do not like the garmin Topo software, unlike the Magellan topo software the Garmin topo software does not includ very many street names.

Also, if you aren't opposed to getting something used, look for an eMap or something similar.

As far as the e-map, there are two things I do not like about this GPS

First it is not water proof, Second the memory chip is proprietary and can only be purchased from Garmin

Well, it's a matter of taste, I guess. The buttons being on the side are a plus for me. There aren't that many, and it's not that hard to remember which is which. They're out of the way, and don't clutter up the display. I like the Legend a lot, because it's small, light, and it works. It holds 1000 waypoints, and that is definitely a plus. I don't use the map memory at all, because I use Mapopolis on my Palm for mapping, with the Legend just providing position information. It does need to be held horizontally for best reception under difficult conditions, but that's the way you would naturally hold it while looking at it. You just hold it at a comfortable level and look down at it, and it works. With models with a helix antenna, you need to hold it vertically, meaning you pretty much have to hold it up at eye level, and can't see where you're walking. This isn't normally necessary, but under wet trees it can be, and I prefer the patch antenna which lets me walk and read the GPS at the same time. YMMV.

Well, it's a matter of taste, I guess. The buttons being on the side are a plus for me

Me too. I have a 60CS a Geko and a Vista (a souped up Legend) and I much prefer the button setup on the Vista. There are really only two buttons to deal (menu and clic stick) with instead of half a dozen on the the other units.

Would the legend work ok if it were verticaly mounted on my dash while driving?

My Vista does as long as its under the windshield. If its on the seat it really wants to be sitting horiziontally.

The Sportrak Map does not have enough memory to upload maps to.  I had the Map and traded it in for the Pro so I could upload maps.  It does have a good base map but not street maps.

This is not true, the Sport track map has 6MB of memory for loading detailed maps, I know I have one. I don't know were you are getting your informtion. You may be confused with the reg Sport Track.

Got it straight from Magellan Support -

They said they don't support it because the memory is so low.

Not enough memory for MapSend maps to upload.

That is why I upgraded to the Pro.

Got it straight from Magellan Support -

They said they don't support it because the memory is so low.

Not enough memory for MapSend maps to upload.

That is why I upgraded to the Pro.

Well, I have a sport track map that right now is loaded up with Map Send topo, so who ever you talked to a Magellan was wrong. They may have been reading the specs for the reg Sport Track.

Read this from Magellans web Sight map Send topo Software

Sport trak map

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Ok, thanks for the info so far guys...

I don't like the site buttons and the click stick. I like buttons like on the 60C and GPS V.

What I liked most about it was that you could wedge the thing between the dashboard and the windsheld. That made for an instant mount.

The blue legend is the regualare one I think and that won't do auto routing. It's not one that fits the bill for what you want to do. If you are talking the legend c that's different.

What is routing and auto-routing?

I seem to be on the fence between the Sport trak Map and the Blue Legend. I assume the price is about the same... What would be the deciding factor if you guys had to choose between these two?

I'm still open to other GPS suggestions as well though. <_<

Of those two I would select the Magellan Sport track map. Why? you may ask!

As far as TOPO software, Magellan’s map send TOPO includes all street names, Garmin map source TOPO only has names of major roads. Also with Magellan the while running map send TOPO the GPS will display a terrain projection of the course in front of you, Garmin will not do this.

As far as Routing Vs Auto Routing

With Routing you set up a route from your starting waypoint to the destination manually by selecting places along the route to make your turns.

With auto routing you just select a destination and tell the GPS to get you there and the GPS will determine the route to use. With the Garmin Legend and the Magellan sport track map you do not have an option for auto routing in the GPS itself.

Hi,

I've been scanning the forums for about a month now and I believe I'm ready to take the plunge into geocaching.  Which gps units with the map are you guys happy using?  I would like to stay as cheap as possible due to a tight budget. 

I like the looks of the Magellan Sport Track...  any idea of where to buy them?

The guy selling these look perfect, im going to get one for my kids, My 60cs should arrive tomorrow! good luck.

1. I actually like the click stick and buttons on the side (I also have a 60CS but do not mind the click stick interface)

2. Love the size of the Legend over both the 60CS and the SporTrak color I have.

3. Love the accuracy, ease-of-use, and geocaching waypoint icons on the Legend.

4. Disliked the (well-documented) boomerang/slingshot action of the Magellan.

5. Could care less about TOPO (sorry JohnnyVegas :( )

Having owned and used several different GPS (Magellan 315, SporTrak color, Legend, and 60CS--2 Magellan, 2 Garmin), my preference is the Garmin brand, mostly because of #4, but having used a "superior" (ie more expensive) SporTrak color and then a Legend, I still liked the less expensive Legend. The 60CS is even better for me, but as always, your mileage may vary. These are my preferences, and in no way are facts (except #4 ;) )

enjoy your Legend!

:)

What is routing and auto-routing?

I seem to be on the fence between the Sport trak Map and the Blue Legend. I assume the price is about the same... What would be the deciding factor if you guys had to choose between these two?

I'm still open to other GPS suggestions as well though. :(

The Legend is usually $30-$40 cheaper than the ST Map. Comparing the two units, the Legend has more map memory (8 meg vs. 6) and holds twice the number of waypoints (1,000 vs. 500). It has better screen resolution, longer battery life (18 vs 14 hrs.) and is smaller and lighter than the ST. Though, as Johnny Vegas mentioned, Mapsource Topo is not as detailed as Magellan's Mapsend Topo, a benefit is that it takes up less memory so you can fit a much wider area in the same amount of memory.

The ST Map has a quad helix antenna which gives it slightly better reception under most (but not all) conditions.

Could someone please tell me what is possible with 8mb of map memory on the legend?

What maps other than the basemap would you want to upload to your gps, and for what reason?

The basemaps aren't very detailed. They show major roads, towns and bodies of water and thats it. The mapping software (Garmin's is called Mapsource) will give you most roads, dirt roads and anything else you'll find on a paper map. In addition Mapsource Topo will show you contour lines and most small streams and bodies of water as well. The contour lines tell you the lay of the land, meaning whether there are hills, valleys, cliffs, ravines, swamps, streams, etc... where you are travelling.

Mapsource City Select and MetroGuide will do a better job of showing streets, but don't have the contour lines and terrain details that Topo shows. But they do have the waypoints of gas stations, restaurants, theatres, schools, police stations, post offices, shopping malls, etc... City Select also allows for autorouting. You can key in an address, or ask it for the nearest gas station, Burger King, or whatever and and get turn by turn directions (If your GPS supports it. The Legend does not - but the Legend C does) that take you to your destination.

When I had my Legend I had Mapsource Topo loaded for all of northern NJ, part of eastern PA, southeastern NY state from NJ border up to the Albany region and some of southern Vt with room to spare. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure you can get all, or most of GA in a Legend with Mapsource Topo.

City Select and MetroGuide take up more memory so you would have significantly less coverage than Topo.

Edited by briansnat

Regarding memory in a GPS with the Sport track map or the Legen yu are going to ba able to load more area than you could cover in a day of geocaching, unless you plan on doing lots and lots of driving. Of course this depends on caches density were you are. In and area with lots of geocachers it could take you a very long time to find all the caches in a small area. I am going to a cache event this weekend, I check the caches in the area and there are about 30 caches within 2 miles of the event. If you are in an area were the caches can be miles appart, then you mightr want a GPS with more memory than the legen or the sport track map cantains.

I don't plan on covering a ton of ground in one day of caching. However, I also want to use the unit to take trips to florida, north georgia, and other places. The maps don't have to be super detailed street maps in most cases.

I don't have a problem looking the coordinates of my destination up on terraserver then entering them in the unit.

And on long trips, the base map will work fine for the in-between interstate travel. You only need to load in the detail maps for the destination. I have used an 8 Mb card in my eMap for 4 years. It loads over half of the state of Indiana from the Roads and Recreation CD. I would assume that newer maps are slightly more data intensive.

Autorouting is when the GPS (or PDA) calculates a route automatically when given a start and end point. Autorerouting is when it calculates a new route if you take a different road for whatever reason. Neither of the units you're talking about do either. All they will do is point directly to the destination. For an autorouting GPS, you'll have to pay much more money. Both these units just display your location on a very generalized basemap, and the map isn't very accurate. If you want state-of-the-art driving directions, you can either pay ~$1000 for a high-end GPS or get a PDA and buy a mapping program for ~$100 and a basic GPS. With this, you get not only the mapping program, but a PDA as well. Which way to go is a subjective decision. I already had a Palm, so the choice was a no-brainer for me.

If you want state-of-the-art driving directions, you can either pay ~$1000 for a high-end GPS or get a PDA and buy a mapping program for ~$100 and a basic GPS

My $360 GPS 60CS does quite well with autorouting/re-routing and though I haven't tried it, I've heard that the even cheaper Legend C does equally well. No need to shell out $1,000 for an autorouting GPS or to buy a GPS and a PDA.

By state-of-the-art, I mean having maps of the entire US onboard, with turn-by-turn voice directions, etc, and never needing a PC to swap out maps. That doesn't come cheap on a GPS. If you already have a suitable PDA then you can get it for a couple of hundred, including the GPS.

No one solution works for everyone, of course, but IMO the most cost-effective solution is a PDA and a cheap GPS. If a 60C works for you, then by all means use it, especially if you've already paid for it.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I just got back from wal-mart again. I was just going to look in the computer software section when I saw a computer that was logged into walmart.com. So I searched the "etrex legend" and then asked a manager over to see it. He said he'd match the price if it was the same product. So to make a long story short, I bought the etrex legend at a heck of a discount!

Here is what I payed...

$138.82 ----- Etrex legend

$8.33 ----- tax

minus $14.71 for 10% dicount (a friend of mine is an employee)

minus $7.96 (for an old gift card I found)

minus $10 (sold a home depot gift card to a friend today)

Grand total.... $114.48 :D

$138.82 ----- Etrex legend

$8.33 ----- tax

minus $14.71 for 10% dicount (a friend of mine is an employee)

minus $7.96 (for an old gift card I found)

minus $10 (sold a home depot gift card to a friend today)

Grand total.... $114.48 ;)

Thats a good price, good job. You gotta feel good about that one.