An Idea For A Multi Cache.

Insp Gadget

I have this idea for a multi cache and would love to get feedback and any ideas you may have on how to create this.

This cache would have several "paths" leading to the same destination. Ideally I would like to setup 12 seperate paths, but for the sake of this message, lets say I create 3 paths. A, B and C.

I would like to built some small electronic devices that would have a timer and a screen. I would plant one at the start of my cache and have it display the location of the next device, which would lead you down Path "A".

Here's where it gets interesting. At Midnight, the timers in the first spot would change the coordinates to Path "B". The timers in Path "A" would turn off and Path "B" would all turn on. At midnight the whole process would change again to shut down "B" and open "C". At the end of "C" it would revert back to "A" and start the process all over.

I would like to make this a very difficult cache and because the Path would change each day, a person would HAVE to finish it that day. If the cacher came back the next day to the last location, the screen would be blank because that Path is not active on that day and the cacher would have to start all over.

Now, I would have NO idea how to create the electronic devices needed to complete this cache.

What do you guys think?

check out http://www.parallax.com/

for Basic Stamp and an LCD display.

There are other companys but this will give you an idea -

check google for programmable LCD Displays

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c...ction&key=K8045

http://www.seetron.com/

http://www.seetron.com/slcds.htm

this is not going to be cheap but it is a neat idea -

Edited by CompuCash
Now, I would have NO idea how to create the electronic devices needed to complete this cache.

Even if you could find someone to make up these signs for you, without some electrical/mechanical knowledge you would not be able to maintain the cache well. Suppose a fieldmouse chews through one wire. The whole cache is down.

Also, who is going to give you permission to do that? Not many parks would like that very much.

This is the kind of cache idea I would think of! I've only hidden 11 caches really, but I've probably thought of 100 possibilities.

I think it's a very good idea...but....the switch is on and the light is not burning. Think about all the crap going on right now with the terrorist threats, and other nonsense. Would you really want to implement something that looked like a timing device? Even though the plan is great, I wouldn't want the local police knocking on my door. I give you an A+ for effort.

I think it's a very good idea...but....the switch is on and the light is not burning. Think about all the crap going on right now with the terrorist threats, and other nonsense. Would you really want to implement something that looked like a timing device? Even though the plan is great, I wouldn't want the local police knocking on my door. I give you an A+ for effort.

Think Canada man! Up here I'm sure I could hide a timing device with a ton of wires in the Toronto Mayors office and no one would suspect anything. LOL

Actually I would want this to be quite small, perhaps small enough to fit inside an Altoids tin. I would love for it to be fully waterproof as well so I could hide one or two underwater.

Okay if I got this right you have A, B and C and they switch off at midnight to chnage to another one. Are these the starting points for the cache? If so then how do I know which one to go to on a give day. It sound stright forward to do unless the hides are terrible hard. But then again some if you do not have the skills to make the boxes that maybe a problem.

cheers

Okay if I got this right you have A, B and C and they switch off at midnight to chnage to another one. Are these the starting points for the cache? If so then how do I know which one to go to on a give day. It sound stright forward to do unless the hides are terrible hard. But then again some if you do not have the skills to make the boxes that maybe a problem.

cheers

You sort of have it right. The start point (listed on the cache page) will always be the same. When you arrive a screen gives you the coordinates of the second location. This would lead you down Path A for example. At midnight, the screen on the starting location would change to bring you down path "B" and so on.

Okay if I got this right you have A, B and C and they switch off at midnight to chnage to another one. Are these the starting points for the cache?  If so then how do I know which one to go to on a give day.  It sound stright forward to do unless the hides are terrible hard.  But then again some if you do not have the skills to make the boxes that maybe a problem.

cheers

Exactly what I was wondering too.....

Oh, I thought 'ERB' was Extremely Rich B - that would fit too if you wanted to make up a dozen of these boxes. (and a few spares)

edited: WOAH! - answered while it was being asked! Makes some more sense now - ignore all non-relevent parts of this post - ALL OF THIS POST!!!!!

Edited by bug and snake

This could be some what of an expensive cache as well. Did a rough caculation of the parts to make one of the little black boxes and it would run you about 10 to 15 dollars each. SO for a 12 legs as you mention would be 120 to 180 dollars. Hummm.......

Sorry folks but I dont ahve that kind of money to waste on you. Ammo cans are expensive enought.

cheers

Real timing devices don't look like "timing devices". Terrorists don't use LED count-down timers (but shhh, don't tell Van Damme). Most timers are either boring alarm clocks, or chemical-based.

Of course, the idiots who call the Feds because they're convinced that Osama - or the Unabomber - wants to blow up trees and possibly kill one (1) hiker at a time, probably do think that timers look like that, so I guess it would end up being a problem in that way.

My main concern with all electronic-based caches is battery lifetime. Even if a lithium battery could keep your gadgets going for three months, will you really want to go out there in January to change it, when you know the next cacher may not be along until May ?

Actually, many electronic devices have batteries that last for years. How often does the unit in the cache actually need to be turned on? Once each find, for 3 minutes. Hook the device to a push button to turn it on. It does it's thing, let go of the button and it turns off. There are electronic devices called real time clocks that run for years off a watch battery.

You only need a one digit display to show the coordinates, just sequence through the numbers.

Ham radio fans, how about a morse code beeper in a cache? Press the button and decode the coordinates.

The cost to build both of these devices is well under $10.00

One word... Solar Cell. Ok, that was two words, but you get the point.

Someone locally had mentioned solar cells, but I wonder if that would work? Naturally I would hide the "gadgets" and the solar cell would probably be covered or not have line of sight to the sun. Does a solar cell work without direct sunlight?