Dangerous Cache Devices

StanB

You know, I can't even begin to count the number of fake electrical boxes, fake sprinklers, fake outlet covers, fake drain pipes, and fake whatever elses I've found.

According to your profile page, it's 1999... :ph34r:

Have fun and congrats on your 2K when you get it!

OT: I think it's pretty much okay as long as you don't put your fake container inside a real one. There's a light pole cache in a rest area in either SC or GA that's like that...

I always wanted to hide a cache down the barrel of a shotgun, But if you wusses won't even go after an electrictal box. No i'm just kidding....

Where I come from it is illeagal to go around attaching things to light post, power poles, and other such city or state owned structures that might be confused as a bomb or some device of terror by local authorities.

OT: I think it's pretty much okay as long as you don't put your fake container inside a real one. There's a light pole cache in a rest area in either SC or GA that's like that...

Here in the greater Atlanta area there's a micro cache (35mm film container) that's inside a lamp post. Not under the housing, inside the base where there are several wires.

After looking at the wires for a little bit I decided that I could reach in and get the container without touching them. No harm done to this cacher, but it was still one of the worst placed caches I've found so far.

One of the caches I placed was a large junction box attached to a light pole, similar to the picture on the previous page. There are no conduits or wires leading to it, and the GC number is posted on the front. Geocachers will immediately realized it's a cache container, while muggles won't give it a second glance.

I placed one on the underside of a non-refrigerated water fountain. It was a great cache. It was marked with the geocaching logo and a fake "circuit number" "630cac43" (in "l33t"- "GEOCACHE") I even went to great lengths to put thumb screws on the lid, welded so they couldn't be removed. It was held on by a magnet.

Surely no muggle would fool with it.

It got gone. WAH!

IMHO, and in my experience, the vast majority of real electrical boxes around "public access" areas are usually locked, so nosy idiots who don't know any

better can't get into them and dig around. Usually, the only way you can access the real boxes is if you have a specialty key, or if you're dumb enough to bust one open with a crow bar. Just my $.02 worth. :laughing:

That would be in the category of dangerous BEHAVIOR, not a dangerous DEVICE.

Opening a live electrical box also falls into the BEHAVIOR category, if the searcher is afraid that retrieving the cache may be dangerous for them, take the DNF. I had to do that when I was worried about traversing the crest of a rushing waterfall alone in the middle of the rainy season, but that doesn't make THE CACHE dangerous in and of itself.

BTW, now that we've mentioned all those phrases in one forum, I'm sure the good old FBI will be paying close attention to this thread!

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
That would be in the category of dangerous BEHAVIOR, not a dangerous DEVICE. ...

Good point. If you ran in saying the same thing with nothing in hand you would still have problems. So I have to agree.

Edit: Last time I checked Fire hydrants were about 1200 bucks installed. Your handy local supplier can sell you one. W3 Company does it in Boise. I don't know if they have a national presence.

Edited by Renegade Knight
about 1200 bucks installed.

That seems like a bargain, are you sure it's not 12,000

I might guess that the installation may be a little less without the water and pressure issues, or a little more for such a custom situation.

I'm going off memory. Installed was part of a lot more work, but it should be a fair ballpark if you want a brand spanking new one (not installed).

If they are worn out and replaced you would be better off talking to the contractor pulling out the old ones. They have to get rid of them and if you save them the trouble....

Edited by Renegade Knight
Does this mean that my fake "Nuclear Missile Silo" cache is out of the question? :)

Certainly a missle silo couldn't be construed as dangerous! Perhaps the missile inside the silo would be dangerous but only to those at whom the missile is pointed. The cacher should be safe. For fun, you could have a dual-key arming device that was required to release the cache! :P

I've been looking for a fire hydrant.... Would love to put that in the woods !

I got mine free from an excavator that had just replaced all the fire hydrants in the city of Dinosaur, CO. He had about 50 of them so me and a couple of fire fighter buddies took three. The only problem was they were still attached to the 8' stem and valve. They wieghed about 800 pounds apiece, he used a forklift to load them on a trailer for us. It was a big job getting them off the stems and they are still heavy just by themselves. I wouldn't want to carry it into the woods very far at all! ;)

Can't remember where I read it, but I loved the saying, " I'm not saying we actually kill off all the idiots, just remove the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself. "

Here, here...

keep waiting to find out that someone wants reperations because their ancestors were killed while trying to cross the plains in a conestoga wagon. If you aren't bright enough to stay back from the edge of the cliff, don't go hiking. I'm sick of my world being "sanitized" so the next broken nail doesn't result in another wealthy lawyer.

OMG! I so agree! Just reading these forum posts makes me wonder how most of you namby-pambies ever started caching in the first place! The entire freaking game is one big ADVENTURE, folks. It is fun. Hell, I've got an idea, why don't you take the fun out of this for all of us, so your dumbed-down version of it can be over-run with Girly-men.

I can understand when you aren't supposed to put caches in the middle of rattlesnake infested rock piles, or in the middle of a lagoon in an alligator preserve. I get fully the reason why no food and no explosives should be used as cache fodder, but those of you who are that worried about your five-year old picking out the pocket knives in caches need to take a little more personal responsibility.

When the cache goes over the line safety-wise, make a polite comment to that effect on that cache's page. I would even go so far as to say go ahead and voice your concerns to the person who approved it. If no one else complains, HELLO! Maybe YOU are the problem, not the cache.

Common sense is something precious, and should be EXERCISED. You can only tell people so many times to look both ways before they cross the street. If they then jump into the middle of freeway traffic, just hope they haven't procreated yet, and repeat after me: "There, but for the grace of My Higher Power, go I", put on your seatbelt and move along.

Sheesh.

Try ebay. There are several currently for sale, including this very sad one.

Well, you have to have a specialized fire hydrant backpack to haul one of those into the woods! The fire hydrant backpack is a Geocacher's de-lite! Comes complete with it's own rocket pack for those quick hops over alligator-filled swamps, and an anti-grav unit with fully rechargeable nuclear waste-core batteries! Only $19.99! That's right! Only $19.99... operators are standing by.

Can't remember where I read it, but I loved the saying, " I'm not saying we actually kill off all the idiots, just remove the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself. "

Its a shame common sense has become so lost in our society.

There is NO such thing as COMMON SENSE. What I know is because of the envrionment I have grown up in what you know and take for granted is because of the environment you have grown up in. There is no instinctive knowledge that sticking a screwdriver in a light socket is BAD, I'll refrain from any comments here. No we all need to be taugth what is approperate and can be hazardous or dagnerous.

I guess it is a pet peve to make referance to common sense being ksome inate knowledge we should all know. The reall issue is that people FAIL to find out if there is a hazard involved in any situation they get involved in.

cheers

This person has no common sense!! ;)

I visited a cache this morning. Apparently it was a microcache hidden within an electrical box that could only be opened with a screwdriver. This electrical box was on the backside of a wooden frame which hosted a real electrical breaker.

Call me a wimp, but I didn't think getting out a screwdriver to undo potential electrical equipment on private property was the best idea in the world. With all the folks that bring their kids along caching, somehow I don't think these electrical equipment caches are a good idea. Even if you explain what you are doing and why you don't think it is live, I think poking around electrical boxes is just a bad example.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

I visited a cache this morning. Apparently it was a microcache hidden within an electrical box that could only be opened with a screwdriver. This electrical box was on the backside of a wooden frame which hosted a real electrical breaker....

I agree that's too much. The box should be clearly marked as a geocache "US Geocaching Survey" or something like that works if you do need tools. If it's unmarked you should see clearly with close observation that you can open it by hand. If it's not marked or clearly a cache I normally pass them by.

Standard electrical boxes should be locked to save the stupid from themselves. But that's another story and another set of laws to worry about.

There is a cache in Salt Lake City that I snagged when I was there a few weeks ago. It was an electrical junction box. It was not attached to anything. The problem is that there was an emergency light real close and also a light pole. I noticed that the emergency light had a few screws missing and the access plate to the light pole was just sitting next to it. Have the feeling that some cacher was searching and didn't replace things. I replaced the access cover to the light pole but could do nothing for the emergency light as I don't normally carry extra screws :lol: The electrical junction box did have me going for a few seconds until I saw that it was just "sitting" there and had no connections.