Ftf Or Be Damned

If someone isn't fast enough to get the FTF, that just means they need to be lucky and quick to beat their competition. 

Well, this is more than being fast enough. Let's face it, some people are either retired or have a work schedule ( works nights, shiftwork, etc. ) that puts them in a better position to be FTF.

CT Trampers said above that "Everyone has an equal and fair shot at being FTF." - that's hardly the case with the above situation, isn't it?

I've been FTF about five times and it's a good rush. Depending on my mood ( the lazy-factor ), I'll head out late at night or in -20 weather to be FTF. But in spite of that, there's a couple of people in our area who just have an advantage due to their work schedule/status.

The downside to going for FTF, you QA the cache for the hider ( well, sometimes it's a downside ). I had a case where I searched for a half hour in -24 weather ... DNF. Then I found out that night that the hider had posted poor coordinates, they were out by 80 meters!!! Then, while I was at work, someone got FTF with the new coordinates. Not a fun attempt at FTF.

;)

If it's bothering you that much than you are taking the game too seriously. Caching is still fun regardless if you are FTF. I think you have to ask yourself why it matters to you soo much.

Look, if you are the FTF, awsome! If you're not FTF that is awsome too! WTF...eh. If you are alive enough to get out of a chair and geocache--good for you. WTF...eh! If your thing is FTF--GO FOR IT. WTF...eh....If you have to start worrying about who is FTF or not, well then get rich and just geocache! WTF...eh...

If someone isn't fast enough to get the FTF, that just means they need to be lucky and quick to beat their competition. 

Well, this is more than being fast enough. Let's face it, some people are either retired or have a work schedule ( works nights, shiftwork, etc. ) that puts them in a better position to be FTF.

CT Trampers said above that "Everyone has an equal and fair shot at being FTF." - that's hardly the case with the above situation, isn't it?

I meant "equal and fair" in that the cache is approved and listed for all to see at the same time.

Obviously many cachers have work, family, and other obligations that may get in the way of them going right out.

And, for the record, I have a full time job AND a family-

In the area I live in, I see being FTF as quite sought after. There are lots of avid cachers in the city!! I am one of the people with a great work schedule that enables me to be FTF fairly often. I dont try to be FTF for glory, fame or fortune cause we all know that just dont happen! ( I have yet to find keys to a Hummer as a FTF prize). There are very few caches in a my area that I havent done so when a new cache pops up I am on it!

There have been times I have headed out thinking I had a very good chance of being FTF and someone had "beat" me to the cache. I think thats great!!! I like that sometimes someone had more drive than me! I dont look it as a competition by any means. I dont know how many FTF I have. I counted them once, a while back, because someone asked me but cant see myself doing it again. (As before , I have yet to find a gold medal as a FTF prize).

I have been that cacher that goes out a 11pm in the snow looking for a cache. But I have done that for puzzle caches that I have solved after a long painful brain tease ( dadgum YOU SOLITAIRE!!!) . SO me doing it to be FTF is really no different.

My work schedule is nice ( so I think). But when it comes down to it I probably work more hours than most. As much as my schedule is nice there are days when I am really not that able to cache. Every second weekend I work 3 days (fri, sat, sun), 12 hour shifts. By the time I leave work and get gome I have been gone roughly 13 1/2 hours. I really dont feel like caching all that often. Some days I am wired and I will. But to put it bluntly...I aint my fault if caches dont pop up on those days. If I am off and a new cache pops up, I have nothing to do...why should I stay home??

The biggest thrill I get out of geocaching is hiking up the side of a mountain and seeing and awesome view or solving a mind numbing problem. And that thrill is a hell of alot more than being FTF on any cache. I am not going to lie and say I dont like being FTF. But its not the reason I cache!!!!!! I think everyone (including myself) needs to always remind themselves.....this is meant to be fun. Finding a cache should be fun regardless of being FTF of LTF (last to find).

In the area I live in,  I see being FTF as quite sought after.  There are lots of avid cachers in the city!!  I am one of the people with a great work schedule that enables me to be FTF fairly often.  I dont try to be FTF for glory, fame or fortune cause we all know that just dont happen! ( I have yet to find keys to a Hummer as a  FTF prize).  There are very few caches in a my area that I havent done so when a new cache pops up I am on it!

There have been times I have headed out thinking I had a very good chance of being FTF and someone had "beat" me to the cache.  I think thats great!!!  I like that sometimes someone had more drive than me!  I dont look it as a competition by any means. I dont know how many FTF I have.  I counted them once, a while back,  because someone asked me but cant see myself doing it again.  (As before , I have yet to find a gold medal as a FTF prize). 

I have been that cacher that goes out a 11pm in the snow looking for a cache.  But I have done that for puzzle caches that I have solved after a long painful brain tease ( dadgum YOU SOLITAIRE!!!) .  SO me doing it to be FTF is really no different.

My work schedule is nice ( so I think).  But when it comes down to it I probably work more hours than most.  As much as my schedule is nice there are days when I am really not that able to cache.  Every second weekend I work 3 days (fri, sat, sun), 12 hour shifts.  By the time I leave work and get gome I have been gone roughly 13 1/2 hours.  I really dont feel like caching all that often.  Some days I am wired and I will.  But to put it bluntly...I aint my fault if caches dont pop up on those days.  If I am off and a new cache pops up, I have nothing to do...why should I stay home??

The biggest thrill I get out of geocaching is hiking up the side of a mountain and seeing and awesome view or solving a mind numbing problem.  And that thrill is a hell of alot more than being FTF on any cache.  I am not going to lie and say I dont like being FTF.  But its not the reason I cache!!!!!!  I think everyone (including myself) needs to always remind themselves.....this is meant to be fun.  Finding a cache should be fun regardless of being FTF of LTF (last to find).

OK Dan, I'll get a Hummer cache set up for you soon! ;)

Well, it may not be a competition to you but for alot of us it's a GREAT accomplishment if we're FTF before super-cacher XRN95! This guy's a MACHINE!

As with XRN95, I'll go for FTF if I think that I have a chance at it ( well, I guess that's a given for me ).

Lately, though, there's been a few other people ( RedRouge and The4B's ) who are doing pretty good at being FTF. Sometimes it's a proximity thing and others, they click in to the puzzle caches quicker than the others. I'm happy for them but mad and myself for not being in the groove ( Prairie Dog!!! ).

I admit that it's discouraging at times to miss FTF, especially if I think I would've had a chance if I wasn't working!!! Often it's a relief to me when someone logs a FTF - it takes the stress away from me ... this tells me that sometimes I worry about FTF too much.

For me, as with XRN95, the best part of geocaching is getting a nice view at the end or going on a nice long walk on the way to a cache. This is why I geocache ... most of the time :)

... I think a cache will get better as other cachers find it.

If you are talking about the contents of the cache improving, I wouldn't count on it. Cache contents tend to degrade over time from what I've seen. And in many cases, the best swag goes to the FTF. But I don't think that's what motivates most FTF-hunters.

Caching will be only as good as I want it to be.

Words to live by! :rolleyes:

I've done my share of FTF-ing... there's probably 6-8 people around here that give it a shot if time allows. And yeah, there's a danger of finding out that the coords are junk if you race.

But one of the locals out here is weird. His strange motivation is that usually (not 100% of time, but most of the time) is that if he can't be FTF... he won't generally do the cache. Period. I've even seen him pull up to a cache area, see someone else trying for First Find rights, and flee, never to return. I've never quite understood that perspective. *shrug*

But one of the locals out here is weird. His strange motivation is that usually (not 100% of time, but most of the time) is that if he can't be FTF... he won't generally do the cache. Period. I've even seen him pull up to a cache area, see someone else trying for First Find rights, and flee, never to return. I've never quite understood that perspective. *shrug*

I've seen a guy like that. I beat him to a FTF by 5 minutes about 60-70 miles away from his home and he almost didn't even bother to find the cache. He only found it so he could post some photos with his log.

Trying doing this, FTFBA. First to Find Before Approval. Last summer I was out in the hills looking for a spot to hide a cache. I spotted a place I thought was perfect, but when I got ready to place the cache, I noticed something was already there, someone else's cache!! There were no signatures in the logbook. Hmmm I thought, I don't remember seeing this cache online. I went ahead and signed the log anyway. A day or two later the cache I found got approved and posted online. So all you FTFers out there, beat that one. ;)

Trying doing this, FTFBA. First to Find Before Approval. Last summer I was out in the hills looking for a spot to hide a cache. I spotted a place I thought was perfect, but when I got ready to place the cache, I noticed something was already there, someone else's cache!! There were no signatures in the logbook. Hmmm I thought, I don't remember seeing this cache online. I went ahead and signed the log anyway. A day or two later the cache I found got approved and posted online. So all you FTFers out there, beat that one. ;)

How about a FTFBABCEWD? (First to Find Before Approval But Cache Eventually Was Denied) I used the TB watchlist loophole (since closed, I believe) to find a cache that was a little too close to some railroad tracks for the approver's liking.

I think the TB loop-hole is closed, but there are other ways to see caches before posted approval.

I know several of the cachers in the South who know of these, but don't use them out of honor and integrity.

One cacher found one of mine before it was approved, but as a joke and he told me he did so, and how.

I think most cachers are honest.

Stats have little enough meaning or validity anyway; how hollow the victory if you get them through cheating!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Okay here's something else about FTF. I just hid the final part of a multi the other day and then had my father help me hide the first part later that night. Since it would be stupid for him to make a second trip back I let him go and log the final part, since it was already hidden earlier. After it was approved I posted a note saying it was already found, since he was at work and couldn't log it, as a nicety for the people who may have cared about logging it first. Next thing I know NY Admin posts a reviewer note saying "I'd be interested in knowing who found a multi less than 5 minutes after it was approved".

Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't I be allowed to let someone log my own cache before it's approved if they're already there? I've done it many times on other peoples cache if I was there when it was hidden. I don't have the money to waste making a second trip 10-20+ miles to sign the log of a cache that I've already been to. I don't even claim to be the first finder, because I couldn't care less. Now if my father wanted to (which he didn't) who cares? I say there's nothing wrong with logging caches before they're approved. It's my cache, and if the locals and the approvers don't like the fact that I saved my father a second trip and as a result "gave away" the first to find then tough.

Edited to add: And suprise suprise, the locals didn't care.

Edited by Vargseld!
Okay here's something else about FTF. I just hid the final part of a multi the other day and then had my father help me hide the first part later that night. Since it would be stupid for him to make a second trip back I let him go and log the final part, since it was already hidden earlier. After it was approved I posted a note saying it was already found, since he was at work and couldn't log it, as a nicety for the people who may have cared about logging it first. Next thing I know NY Admin posts a reviewer note saying "I'd be interested in knowing who found a multi less than 5 minutes after it was approved".

Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't I be allowed to let someone log my own cache before it's approved if they're already there? I've done it many times on other peoples cache if I was there when it was hidden. I don't have the money to waste making a second trip 10-20+ miles to sign the log of a cache that I've already been to. I don't even claim to be the first finder, because I couldn't care less. Now if my father wanted to (which he didn't) who cares? I say there's nothing wrong with logging caches before they're approved. It's my cache, and if the locals and the approvers don't like the fact that I saved my father a second trip and as a result "gave away" the first to find then tough.

What I have seen in my area when some one hides a cache and another cacher is with them, is the person who logs the find in the "Log BooK" puts their name on a line further down in the log book and they do not log thier find on the cache page untill some one else has done so first. This is so that cachers that Really look for the cache after it is posted can get a FTF loged.

I do not see a problem with a cacher signing a log while they are with a cacher while they hide a cache, it is only fair to log the find in a way that the person who is claming the find leaves room for some one who waits for a cache to be listed on the web site to go for a FTF.

if the locals and the approvers don't like the fact that I saved my father a second trip and as a result "gave away" the first to find then tough.

Well I guess this is a real adult way to make freinds in your local GC Community.

Trying doing this, FTFBA. First to Find Before Approval.

So all you FTFers out there, beat that one.

I've accomplished that three times (through different means each time).

In one instance, the cache wasn't approved for nearly 4 months!

Yesterday I saw one better though, the first log in the book said, "Found while letterboxing."

Talk about being scooped!

Heh,

Randy

Around here it is pretty common for someone who logs the cache before it is approved as a "Beta Test", "Beta Log" or "Beta Find". Then they log it online the same way and state that the FTF is still up for grabs.