Gpsr Screen Blurry From Deet

1NatureMom

Our Magillian 315's screen has been blured from being touched with a cloth containing 100% deet. It's not melted.

How do we clean it?

<_<

Thx,

Leslie

Actually, it did melt, that's what made it blurry.

There are a few older topics on polishing the screen if you search them out. My personal fave is to use toothpaste. Not that fancy gel stuff, just plain old white toothpaste. Use that and a nice soft rag. You might even cut it down with a little water as you go. That said, there are commercial products that may be a better job, and are a lot more expensive. Try a motorcycle shop, they use it for polishing plastic windshields and helmet face shields.

Hi 1NatureMom,

Once you get the screen back in order, get screen protectors. You can use them on the PDA’s, GPS’s, compasses, and flashlight lenses, just to start with.

Try either of these two links first:

Scratches On Display Screen, how to get rid of

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=82158

or

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1111475

Either one, should point you to the same thread.

BTW: you’ve been Mopar’ed, it’s not as bad as being Markwelled. <_<

Other good links:

Preserving Transparent Lcd Covers

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...9&hl=gps+screen

Gpsr Display Scratched

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=82856&hl=rouge

I can see clearly now! :blink:

SF1

my good geocaching friends gave me their old GPS unit because they had spilled bug spray on the display and it was extremely difficult to read (although it functioned fine). There's a link in the first thread referenced in the "mopar'ed" thread that worked for me.

Novus

That's what I used and it cleaned it up, almost as good as new. The only parts i couldn't clean up were the parts right by the edge of the screen because they display is sort of sitting down in the unit on a SporTrak and the edges are tough to get to. Good stuff!

edit: the 2oz kit is more than enough. under $20 with shipping and handling direct from novus.

Edited by vree13

I once had brake and electric cleaner sprayed on my glasses, nothing could get it cleaned off and it was fogged, I went to the local pearl vision center to get some new lenses and he just cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol you might want to try that before using some abrasives.

I coated mine with Deet over the course of a weekend, my Garmin 60C - The display was fine, but it ate off the black rubber coating over the rubber buttons on the bottom. That black coating was what formed the words so you could see light shining through the white rubber underneath. Now half the buttons are white with no words. buttons work, but it looks like crap.

A great screw-up job on my part. Worst part was, bugs still attacked me.

Oh well.

MuddyShoes

THX EVERYONE YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! <_<

I have to go to Pearl Vision tonite; I'll bring ole Magellian with me to see if they can help; if not, I'll try that motorcycle thing Mopar mention~my parents might have something~they've restored a few classic cars/trucks.

Or should I just rationize buying a new GPSr, that fancy color one?! Yeah right, the 1NatureDad might go for that! lol.

AND....I've met the Mopar, don't knock him, he's very knowledgable. But I've never seen anyone eat soooo many wings?! LOL.

:blink: Leslie

I have a RINO 120 that I put about a 1 inch scratch across the screen. I got a CD repair kit with a battery operated buffer. I had already spent several hours trying to buff it out with no success. It took as long to rub the buffing scratches out as I took trying to get the schatch out. I just got a Empty(gutted) Store Display model with a good front and back cover yesterday($15.00). So I decided to try the tooth paste with the battery operated buffer. Figuring I have a new front cover and it doesn't matter it I mess it up. One hour later the scratch is 90% gone. The depression can still be seen when held at an angle but it does not cast a shadow on the screen or distort the view of the map.

I wish I had know toothpaste would fix it about 2 months ago :D

Thanks for the advice!!!

Now I don't have to change the faceplate until I really mess it up. <_<:o:D

Well I do know that you can use automotive rubbing compound to "refreshen" the plastic headlights upon cars and the plastic windows on campershells from years back. Simply start slow with a very fine rubbing compound and go with coarser if needed, then back to the fine granuled for more clearer polishing and shine. You will be amazed what this stuff can do if you go slowly-even can remove slight door dings (not dents) on your car if done carefully. <_<

P.S.-Taco Bell hot sauce? Copper cleaner. Drop the dirtiest penny u can find into one packet and wait about thirty minutes. And we eat this stuff?

Edited by Colorado Cacher

I have to go to Pearl Vision tonite;

Be sure to let us know how you made out!

I've met the Mopar, don't knock him.

I’m sorry to hear that! ;)

It sounds like a personal problem, to me!

I wouldn’t publicly admit to that, either. ;)

Actually, I made contact with the Master , to let him know, I was dropping his name.

He informed me, if I use his name, to carry extra bail money. :D

But I've never seen anyone eat soooo many wings?!  LOL.

I’ll have invite him to Buffalo ,NY home of the chicken wings. And maybe make a caching event / chicken wing eat off contest.

I’ll have to send him the link to the contest, that Buffalo has every year.

SF1

If Deet desolves plastic, what do you think it is doing to your skin?

http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/spring03hazards.html

That link says it contains, among other things, toluene. I use Toluene at work, and know it causes birth defects in women.

DEET does not contain toluene. While I don't deny that high amounts probably aren't good for you, toluene and toluamide are not quite the same.

Sodium is explosive on contact with water, and chlorene gas is deadly to breathe, but you eat sodium chloride every day. Again, a lot isn't good for you, but used in moderation, your body can tolerate it.

DEET does not contain toluene. While I don't deny that high amounts probably aren't good for you, toluene and toluamide are not quite the same.

Sodium is explosive on contact with water, and chlorene gas is deadly to breathe, but you eat sodium chloride every day. Again, a lot isn't good for you, but used in moderation, your body can tolerate it.

Kinda like hydrogen is highly flammable, and oxygen helps a fire burn. Mix them together and it's the most common thing your fire dept uses to fight fires.

P.S.-Taco Bell hot sauce? Copper cleaner. Drop the dirtiest penny u can find into one packet and wait about thirty minutes. And we eat this stuff?

The hot sauce is probably vinegar based so it is Just a chemical reaction between the copper and vinegar. I wouldn't worry about the hot sauce I would worry about eating their psuedo mexican food! It always hits bottom too fast and hard for me! :):blink:

Most repellent I have seen with DEET says to put in on clothes and not directly on your skin. Maybe DDT wasn't so bad after all. http://www.aaenvironment.com/DDT.htm :)

Read "Silent Spring".

We only apply deet to our clothing, and use a more natural topical-replant, espically on our 1NatureGirls. It's a scarey choice---Lyme disease/West Nile or Chemicals. As parents, we're just trying our best. Man that 100% stuff really does work though! I'll admit I did get all frustrated while being attacked by the entire incent kingdom, grabbed the 100%, and sprayed away--them squitos were dropping like flys!

I've just learned that LLBean has put out an 'insect repellant' clothing line. No joke.. It's for real--check out the spring catalog.

Safe & Healthy caching,

:) Leslie