Caching In The Snow

I guess this could really be a poll, but this way people can have a little more discussion...

I'm curious to see how people travel to caches in the snow... Skis, snowshoes, snowmobile, just walk through the snow, etc.

Personally, I cross-country ski when there's enough snow (6+ inches), otherwise I'll take my bike!

Looking forward to the replies!

Happy Caching

Jeff

PS - I did do a search to see if there was a topic about this already, but my various searches turned up nothing.. If there is something out there that is like this, post a link, and if it is what I'm trying to accomplish, I'll close this thread :o

I guess this could really be a poll, but this way people can have a little more discussion...

I'm curious to see how people travel to caches in the snow... Skis, snowshoes, snowmobile, just walk through the snow, etc.

I just walk through the snow. If it is below freezing (meaning the snow is dry) I don't wear anything special. If it is slushy I might wear boots or I might just stay home :o

I don't have any cross country skis or anything fancy for getting around in the snow so I save the caches that require lots of hiking for the months without snow.

More problematic for me than how to move through the snow is how to find those ground level caches under the snow.

Tomorrow I am thinking about going to find a few caches that were found within the last coulple days. I figure I can cheat and just follow the tracks ;):o

I do a regular walk through the snow. I actually did one up a mountain today and there was both cross-country ski marks and snow show marks. I tired to walk out of the skiers trail, but it was just difficult , so i had to ruin his/her tracks! oops :o

P.S. Oh yeah, if you don't tuck your pants into your boots, and they aren't waterproof, (i wear untucked jeans) you will most likely get the back of your pants wet almost up to your leg-pit (yes i said leg-pit) ....(you know the part behid your knee) and it will freeze. [As long as there is 3 inches of snow]

Edited by Voncachstein

I walk until the snow is about over knee deep, then I use snowshoes. I find that the extra weight of the snowshoes isn't worth it for anything under about 14 inches because the snowshoes sink in about a foot or so in light, fresh powder anyway.

I just wear my normal hiking boots and gaiters to keep the snow out. Works great. Also trekking poles are good for added balance and to help my footing on steeper trails and they come in handy when poking around in snowbanks for the cache.

A few Fairbanks, Alaska, cachers and I have been ski trekking and climbing to reach caches that normally require a canoe or raft to access them during the summer months. Check out the logs and photos posted during January 2005 for Kaimus Cache, Chena Cache, Between A Rock And A Hard Place, and Mammoth Tusk.

We've done these trips at temperatures ranging from as warm as +25° F (-4° C) and as cold as -15° F (-26° C) in snow depths approaching three feet/one meter. Backcountry cross-country skis with metal edges, insulated ski boots, gaitors (provide up to 10° F extra temperature range for boots as well as keep pants dry), capilene undergarments, goretex and thinsulite gloves and/or mittens, balaclavas and ski hats are all prominently featured in the people photos. We don't use much goretex because at temperatures much below 0° F (-18° C), the pores tend to freeze up and the fabric stops breathing. So, unless the wind is blowing and we want a windshell, all layers are chosen to wick moisture straight to the surface where it can evaporate. It's pretty amusing on a really cold day to watch the clouds of moisture come off people's clothing during rest breaks.

After personal clothing, ski poles and/or a shovel are important for actually locating the cache. The poles can be used to quickly probe an area while listening for a "thunk" of the container or the "ping" of a rock referenced in one of the clues. This is a lot like the technique used to locate avalanche victims. We like to use large aluminum grain shovels for moving lots of snow quickly due to their light weight. Collapsable backcountry shovels are also used due to their light weight and ability to reach into smaller spaces than a grain shovel can.

Finally, keep your GPS and digital camera warm inside your clothing until you really need them. If you don't, the GPS LCD screen refreshes progressively slower until the unit just gives up and the camera won't even start up. We're still learning the temperature limitations of our gear, but we do know everything worked fine at +5° F (-15° C) for an extended period of time, but did not work at -15° F.

Edited to fix typo and add last paragraph.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Like Team GPSaxophone, the snow only deters me when I cannot get my car out of the driveway. My Corolla is not a great car for some of the unplowed parking lots you find after a snowfall in the Chicagoland area, so it requires some ingenuity. As for apparel, I just go with waterproof boots to keep the feet dry. We have not had snow in the amounts some of the other posters mentioned, so take my example for what it's worth.

Geocaching is in the snow is far easier. Unless the lay of the land is like uphill with ice. But the GPS brings you within a 40 ft radius so just put on some gloves and start looking. I think it is more fun even because you don't have to worry about bugs and ground foliage and other annoying pests.

Later Days,

KolarBear :P

Geocaching is in the snow is far easier. Unless the lay of the land is like uphill with ice. But the GPS brings you within a 40 ft radius so just put on some gloves and start looking. I think it is more fun even because you don't have to worry about bugs and ground foliage and other annoying pests.

Later Days,

KolarBear :P

I wouldn't say its far easier, or even easier. Most of the time I there is a little luck involved. I've done pretty well in the snow, but it could turn a 1 difficulty hide into a 3.

I tired to find GC8 and the snow was early....

trying to cross a snowcovered log over an ice creek....just didnt think it was smart thing to do!

If your following behind an earlier cacher, well it makes thing a whole lot easier, but that eliminates the challenge if that was your objective.

I would have posted a picture, but i havent figured out how to do that....