What Are The Chances Of That?

:o

Hi,

I am after some advice.

After many months of happy caching we have just placed our first cache

"Get here any way you can"

Get here any way you can

(Thanks for the speedy approval Ecks )

However it would seem that there is a rogue cache nearby.

We checked the cache yesterday morning and it had already been found by one team so we were happy.

We have also been in close contact with the land owners who have not been asked for permission to place a cache by anyone else.

It now looks like a couple more teams have visited but have found the wrong cache.

I have checked on GC.com and the nerest official cache to ours is 1.7 miles away and was in fact placed by the team who reported this to us.

I have temorarily disabled the cache but would appreciate any advice anyone could give.

Many thanks

Summerlightning of Team Marigold

Edited by Team Marigold

Is it a geocaching.com cache? It could be a cache logged on another listing site. There's nothing really 'official' about a geocaching.com cache. It's just the most popular place to register them.

If it were mine, I'd probably move my cache - the other one was there first after all. I know you've probably found a great spot - but is it worth the confusion?

Have you opened it and checked where it might be registered? Or who might own it? Sometimes a gc.com cache can travel a long way (up to 5 miles, I think has been seen).

Cheers,

Stu

Hi again.

Just got back from checking Navicache and the Lovelocks and nothing.

I haven't had a chance to go out and look as I am at work and it was only reported this morning.

I will go out on Saturday as there is no chance to get out during daylight.

The name of our cache is clearly marked on the box and log book so...

Watch this space...

This is just so frustrating though.

We tried really hard to make sure that as it was our first we did it right.

Ho Hum

Hi again.

Just got back from checking Navicache and the Lovelocks and nothing.

I haven't had a chance to go out and look as I am at work and it was only reported this morning.

I will go out on Saturday as there is no chance to get out during daylight.

The name of our cache is clearly marked on the box and log book so...

Watch this space...

This is just so frustrating though.

We tried really hard to make sure that as it was our first we did it right.

Ho Hum

An old archived cache (nowt on my list but i'm sure someone else can check)

.......the nearest is Team Paradises Grand Tour Basingstoke, archived in June 2004, a monster of a multi with, I think, about 20 stages, however I am sure all the stages were more or less around Basingstoke, nearly 5 miles away.......

Check out the co-ords for this one and this one. Both were approved, both are still active and the distance between them is 35ft  :o  :wub:

Been to those two. Nice quick caches. :wub: To be fair, they were approved a long time ago.

Also in London are the finals to two old multis and a recent-ish micro - all within 10m.

And, also in London, are the final of a multi and a virtual. Again within 10m.

All of which makes London a very nice place for caching. :wub:

There are two virtuals in Toronto (one called "OPO", the other I forget) which appear to be within 30m of each other, but that's due to GPS error (poor reception downtown with all the skyscrapers etc). In fact they are at exactly the same location, but the requested info is slightly different, so the approvers apparently didn't notice.

(Yeah, I logged both :o)

Edited by sTeamTraen

In my area we have a cache maggot who I estimate has stolen in the neighborhood of 200 caches. What that does is open the area up for newbies to place caches were old ones used to be. It's been interesting to see how close the placment is in the same park. Very often they are within 25' of where the original since the cache hiding spots are limited. When they are not that close they have still been within 100'.

It would not suprise me at all if another site takes off to have dueling caches. Good cache locations are good cache locations regardless of where you list it.

Mystery officially solved.

Indeed it was a new cache that had not yet been approved.

Great minds do think alike.

What a coincidence though.

Our grateful thanks for all the help but especially to Lactodorum,Eckington and The Wilkerson family, all of whom went out of their way to help.

It does indeed seem that Geocaching is a hobby enjoyed by nice people.

The fiirst round is on us at Winchester on sunday.

:o

I can think of some equivalent pairs of highly adjacent caches near to me in Bucks too, but as each of these involves Puzzle caches, I guess that explains it, and also is why I am not going to name names.  Locals will know which ones I mean!  :sad:

Eeek!

Naming my own name, I have to admit I have a couple close to other peoples'. But in my defence White Rook was in place before Happy Hippo hid his first cache at one of the multi's virtual locations - Visit The Friendless. One element of [another of my Chess Series] encroaches on an older puzzle (which I didn't know about at the time) but the owner of that one actually likes the fact as it takes some 'heat' off the area. Canal Knowledge is close to an element of a puzzle, and although I told someone who'd completed the older puzzle that I was planning to hide there, they said nothing! So I'm not taking any flack for that. :sad:

Some others that are very close are Arm and a Leg & Pregnant Porpoise and Masquerade & Queen Katherine's Cross - which were hidden within days of each other. My point? It's dadgum easy to tread on someone else's toes in a busy area, especially by accident. Does it 'harm' geocaching? In my opinion, no. A 'two-for-one' deal on caches can only result in higher 'hit rates' on both. I would say sharing a location isn't an ideal situation though, especially if neither cache offers anything different from the other.

Also, Deego, there are actually 26 live caches under a mile of the two John mentioned in London. It's a very hot spot for virtual, but if it's lots of physicals you like (esp. Micros) then you still can't beat Oxford, for my money.

SP

Edited to edit :laughing:

Edited by Simply Paul

This cache....

Scaleber Force by Sleepless 42

was first laid at the waterfall by me in 2003 and was originally intended to be the "joker" in my Ribble Way Series (which I'll finish one day!).

Sleepless 42 was out and about last year looking for a spot for a new cache and as she lives in Settle the waterfall seemed like a good choice. There are a few places at Scaleber to hide a cache but incredibly the spot she chose was exactly where my cache was tucked away!! :sad::o She signed the log and dashed home to claim the find but .... after more than 6 months in situ the cache was not listed it!! :sad::P

The cache eventually became weather damaged so I withdrew it and Sleepless42 replaced it with hers and finally 15 months after a cache was first laid there it got listed!! :D

And.... I just had to be FTF it!! :D:laughing:

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider
Mystery solved?

After some detective work...

It looks like great minds think alike.

It looks like another local team may have had the same idea and  placed the cache ready for approval.

What are the chances of that happening?

Watch this space...

Not quite the same, but we have a multi that is a bonus cache which cannot :sad: be completed without first completing a series of 18 other caches. Or so we thought!.