Easygps And Garmin 60cs

sabresfan

you can edit the cache name in the easyspeak progam before uploading into the gpsr.

You might try the GSAK, i think it will do it with out allthe editing work. I am just trying to figure out the GSAK myself, so i could use some help there too.

In the GSAK upload to GPS box that comes up, change the waypoint ID from %smart to %code I don't have GSAK on this computer (Mac :laughing: ) so can't check the exact spot it goes but it's about half way down on the right-hand side of the box that comes up when you select to send the waypoints to the GPS.

:anibad:

There is a 'note' field in the 60CS that has the cache's name and owner, as long as you use the GPX files instead of LOC. You won't even need GSAK to value it as it comes that way right from the website.

The problem with using the waypoint name to display the cache's name is that its only 10 positions, which probably won't fit a lot of cache names.

Edited by briansnat
There is a 'note' field in the 60CS that has the cache's name and owner, as long as you use the GPX files instead of LOC. You won't even need GSAK to value it as it comes that way right from the website.

The problem with using the waypoint name to display the cache's name is that its only 10 positions, which probably won't fit a lot of cache names.

Brian,

You might want to try my setting instead of the cache name/hider:

%smart=17 %typ1 %con1 %dif/%ter

So for your Lame Trailside Cache # 17: Big Rock cache, it would give you the smart name for the cache, plus T R 1.5/2.5 This way at a glance I can see the name of your cache, that it's a traditional, of regular size, and a 1.5/2.5. Much more helpful than knowing you hid it, though that's assuming a lot since I've never found any of your caches. :lol:

BTW, I use %smart=20 but it cuts off the terrain by 2 points so I'm going to switch it to 17 or 18 so I know if it's a 1 vs a 1.5 :ph34r:

So for your Lame Trailside Cache # 17: Big Rock cache, it would give you the smart name for the cache, plus T R 1.5/2.5 This way at a glance I can see the name of your cache, that it's a traditional, of regular size, and a 1.5/2.

Do you mean to replace the 10 position waypoint name, or to go in the Note field? If its the former, I prefer the waypoint name (GC number) so I can easily find the page when I come home to log it and so I can find it on Cachemate if I have my PDA along.

I also like the cache name and owner name in the note field so I can figure out what I'm looking for. I do a lot of my geocaching because I happen to be in an area and check my GPS to see what is around. There are certain people whose caches I'd be more inclined to go for if I see they own a cache. Having it on my GPS means I don't have to pull out my PDA.

Would it be possible to add those designations to the note field instead of the waypoint field? I think that would be the best of both worlds. I'd have the waypoint name where it belongs and the cache and owner name in the note field along with the terrain, size and difficulty of the cache.

On the GOTO I have the GC# which also shows on the map. Then when I select "Note" I will see the smart version of the cache name plus the cache type, size, and D/T. So it would be:

"brianscache" T R 1.5/2.5

I don't particularly care who hid it but knowing it's a traditional and regular size cache (vs T M for traditional cache, micro size) is a huge help to me. The D/T is nice to have as well.

For what you want, you can use %code in the waypoint name field, then use the following in the waypoint description field:

%name by %by (%dif/%ter)

This might be the default... here's an image from the GSAK site:

SendWaypoints.png

Note in the image it says %smart=6 for the waypoint code, for this you'd want %code which is the GC#. You can get a list of the tags here:

http://gsak.net/help/hs10300.htm

Just a word of caution - The Garmin 60c/s only allows a maximum of 30 characters in the notes (yes, much to the disgust of many users) so using those above tags may cause truncation on caches with long names.

Whoops.

using %smart=xx instead of %name should help though... or even drop the %smart/%name altogether and just use the %code for the waypoint code and %by in the description.