How Big Is Too Big?

ICHTHYS

I am looking at attaching my TB to some sort of item and sending it out into the world with a destination in mind, described on the TB page.

How big is too big for this item to be? Right now I am looking at a wooden carved troll that stands about 5 or so inches in size. So it probably only fit in ammo can sized caches.

Is this too big of an item?

Off the top of my head, I can recall a cinderblock, a bowling ball, an ammo can (full of golf balls) and I thought I heard about a 50' hiking stick, but that might only be a rumour.

Your figure doesn't sound too big to be practical, but if you have any sort of attachment to it, don't use as a TB. Really nice things tend to go missing quickly, especially if kids find it.

Wulf

I agree with everything that Team Tigger said, and would add agreement with your implied question also...The larger the TB, the fewer caches it will fit into--which may affect how quickly it is moved from cache to cache. (But if I read your note right, you already suspect that would be the case).

If speed of travel doesn't bother you, and the carving isn't so precious to you that you would weep if it were to disappear, then by all means release it, as it sounds like a very cool TB.

Edited by Team Neos

They come in all sizes. How fast do you want your travel bug to move? many will shy away from anything too heavy or cumbersome. But some will get a kick out of it. Plan accordingly to what you want your travel bug to accomplish. Do you want instructions attached? Laminated? Do you want it to fit into a micro cache? Give it a destination? Or just send it out to see where it goes?

How big is too big for this item to be? Right now I am looking at a wooden carved troll that stands about 5 or so inches in size. So it probably only fit in ammo can sized caches.

Is this too big of an item?

Allow me to introduce to you, my travel bug. It is an old public pay telephone weighing approximately 40 US pounds!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=118979

Just thought I'd let you know that bugs of this size do travel, though not as often or as far as their smaller counterparts. :laughing:

Allow me to introduce to you, my travel bug.  It is an old public pay telephone weighing approximately 40 US pounds!

Oh heck, I've gotta find this TB one day. I feel like we were made for each other!!! :unsure: I'm not sure where I'd hide it, though... finding the right cache could be difficult.

- PhreakMonkey